• HTML tutorial

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

How are you guys carrying your recovery boards? I need to move my maxtrax from inside my truck to outside, and can't decide on either a roof rack mounting system? Or a the spare tire mount. I like the spare tire mount, and have a Wilco tire carrier, but not sure how secure they are that way, plus I will have my Trasharoo mounted on there, so not sure how much of a pain the butt would make it. Another option I am considering is running them at an angle across the front of my roof rack, so they kind of act like a fairing on my roof rack, using these clamps https://www.gziladesigns.com/products/maxtrax-mounting-clamps. I'm not sold on this yet, and not really sure how well these would last in a position like that.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

How are you guys carrying your recovery boards? I need to move my maxtrax from inside my truck to outside, and can't decide on either a roof rack mounting system? Or a the spare tire mount. I like the spare tire mount, and have a Wilco tire carrier, but not sure how secure they are that way, plus I will have my Trasharoo mounted on there, so not sure how much of a pain the butt would make it. Another option I am considering is running them at an angle across the front of my roof rack, so they kind of act like a fairing on my roof rack, using these clamps https://www.gziladesigns.com/products/maxtrax-mounting-clamps. I'm not sold on this yet, and not really sure how well these would last in a position like that.
20190225_122331.jpg on the side of my KBVOODOO Rack mounted on Maxtrax mounting pins. The pins are sturdy and hold 2 pair . The are lockable and secure. They can be mounted almost anywhere. Roof rack, side panels. Just remember, they aren't light and you want to get to them with some amount of ease if your off road a lot. They make a bag that mounts to your spare and have seen them behind a trasharoo on some rigs. Hope this helps.

Rblessed

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Ross
Last Name
Garza
Member #

I keep my MaxTrax on the roof using Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform with the mounting hardware and Pins that can be locked. I love my setup and they are fairly accessible.IMG_7632.JPGIMG_4701.JPG

Matoolie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Why do those with pickups feel the need to store boards outside of the vehicle? Or most vehicles for that matter. Do they take up so much space they cannot be stored in the bed? I have a midsize SUV and have them in a bag inside the vehicle taking hardly any usable space.....when I think I may need them. Otherwise...they are in the garage.

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
Why do those with pickups feel the need to store boards outside of the vehicle? Or most vehicles for that matter. Do they take up so much space they cannot be stored in the bed? I have a midsize SUV and have them in a bag inside the vehicle taking hardly any usable space.....when I think I may need them. Otherwise...they are in the garage.
maybe because if you use them in mud they get very dirty so keeping them outside solves problems to make dirty other stuff.

Bushwhacksurvival

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Deibel
Member #

It honestly depends what kinds you have, there are several great examples of pictures, but you tend to have three commercial kinds. Hard plastic, metal , and flexible rubber ones. Hard plastic / steel are usually carried on the hood, roof rack / roof, or on the back tail gate. Again this all depends on placement and vehicle mounting system. I have built several of my own. The rubber ones usually fit in a bag that you can just throw in a truck tool box or the cab of your rig. Then if you are one the more .. budget side of things. I have see guys just carry 2x6 or 2x8 planks. Honestly they work well, are cheep ( so if they fail you are not worried about getting new ones. That is as long as you get out of the pickle you are in, haha. But they can be just coated with like plasti dip and it makes them weather resistant if you mount them outside of your rig.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I put them on my tool box so you could only see them if you looked inside the bed of my 1500. The deck drawer system is nice!! Do you ever use the full rail system on the top deck? Maybe rig a deal where they’d lay on that to mount? I went back and fourth on a bed rack but sense i dont have the pickup anymore so glad I didnt. Seen guys put them on the inside of the tail gate so dropping tailgate theyd be right there. But that drawer system sits flush against it?