Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I've been thinking about what is the best way to transport my bicycle in/on my 4runner without adding to much additional weight.

What do you all do to transport bikes? Roof Rack, tied to the tire carrier? In the rig?

Anyone using eBikes?

Appreciate the insight.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

My rig already has a lot going out back, but with a Four Wheel Camper in the bed, that's really the only option for a bike rack (I have no interest in using the roof rails on the FWC itself to mount a rack, I'd need a ladder to load/unload and I'd need to remove the bike to pop the top up... and if it catches a tree branch or something it'd destroy the FWC's roof).

messages_0 (34).jpeg

20220114_092400.jpg

So, that being said I wanted the cleanest, simplest rack solution to go in the auxiliary 2" receiver my RIG'd tire-swing provides. It's a little tough to see in the picture above, so this should help a bit:

1646263014411.png

If you look close at my rig, the bottom receiver has RIG'd's skid/step in it, and that is where you'd put a drawbar to pull a trailer (you can still tow up to 10k lbs with this setup) but the upper receiver is just an aux. unit there specifically for bike racks (or gear racks, I suppose).

Anyway, like I said I wanted the simplest, most compact yet secure bike rack I could find for that spot, since I have so much going on already with the spare tire, trash bag, chainsaw bag, etc. I went with a 1up Super Duty single rack: 2" Super Duty Single (in black). I'm picking my truck back up from the solid axle swap Friday, and the rack should be here around then too. I also just received the parts for the e-bike conversion on my bike. So hopefully by this weekend I can put it alllllllll together and get you a pick of how well it does, or doesn't work out. I might have to put an extension the aux. receiver to move the bike rack out, but I figured I'd get it on and size that up before ordering anything.

-TJ

BlackDog1

Rank II

Enthusiast III

The Mitt
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

I have a yakima holdup eco-rated for e bikes and fat bikes up to 29" diameter wheels. Its heavy but solid and has a tilt away feature. There is a swing away option for an extra cost but I like that too.

BTW ebikes are awesome. I have been on the mountain bike versions and they are great. I hate how they are being banned on trails-they are not motorcycles. I will say when the battery dies you now have a 70lb mountain bike and its tough to go up hills. But I love them

Reactions: DustinDeMayo

DustinDeMayo

Rank V

Advocate II

Olathe, Johnson County, Kansas, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
DeMayo
Member #

I have a yakima holdup eco-rated for e bikes and fat bikes up to 29" diameter wheels. Its heavy but solid and has a tilt away feature. There is a swing away option for an extra cost but I like that too.

BTW ebikes are awesome. I have been on the mountain bike versions and they are great. I hate how they are being banned on trails-they are not motorcycles. I will say when the battery dies you now have a 70lb mountain bike and its tough to go up hills. But I love them
I didn't know they were being banned. Good to know I have been looking at getting one at some point.

Reactions: BlackDog1

BlackDog1

Rank II

Enthusiast III

The Mitt
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

I didn't know they were being banned. Good to know I have been looking at getting one at some point.

I want one too. But You need to look where you're going and the needs. Do you need a mountain bike? Or a Road Bike? Theres Both in E version. I don't think theres any on road restrictions with an ebike but theres lots of restrictions going on mountain bike trails. Not all areas are being enforced but some are strict. Im gettin up there in year sea my body is beat up so I love the idea of continuing to ride mountain bikes with a little help. But that's me..

Reactions: DustinDeMayo

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
E-Bike restrictions pertain to trail systems in general, not just mountain bike trails. And not all trails are restricted, only the trails that are very popular and populated. We have several trail systems here and all are open to e-bikes. Only a hand full of technical trails are closed to e-bikes.

As for the why. There isn’t a standard yet. You can have a full on battery powered bike that doesn’t require any input from your legs to power it. These bikes should be classified as electric motorcycles, but because of size and weight they are bicycles, and thus fallow bicycle laws. But a bicycle that can go 50 mph on flat ground without power from the rider is unsafe to those that use rider power to operate their bicycles… so how do you deal with it.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Both Thule and Yakima make lightweight bike carriers that work with your existing hitch receiver. They’re about 19 lbs each for a 2-bike rig.
On a similar note, I’m looking to add an upright bike rail mount across the tongue of my teardrop trailer. Has anyone done this? I’ve chosen this location because it doesn’t interfere with operation of the vehicle lift gate, tongue box, coupler/hitch operation, or opening the rear hatchback of the trailer. I’m avoiding putting the rack on top of either the truck/trailer, as it affects gas mileage/wind drag, heightens the vehicle profile and may get snagged on trees. It’s also a pain to remove or mount the bike from the top of a tall vehicle.
If you look at the below photo, I’m thinking of bolting the upright rail rack crossways to the small basket in front of the tongue box. I’d have to cut a gap in each side of the basket’s railing to accommodate the tires, but that’s minor. I may need a 1”x4” wooden base, as the round tubing on the edge of the platform is slightly raised. My plan is to mount 2-3 bolts through the rail, base and platform to secure the rack.
Any suggestions from the group?

Attachments

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
You'll just want to watch the pedals to tongue box area.....it will need to be forward enough to clear. You may not have to cut the little upper bars if the "tray" will slide through below them and above the surface. I take it you're not using that spot for a generator?

:grinning:

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

You'll just want to watch the pedals to tongue box area.....it will need to be forward enough to clear. You may not have to cut the little upper bars if the "tray" will slide through below them and above the surface. I take it you're not using that spot for a generator?

:grinning:
You’re correct, I’m not using that spot for a gennie. The trailer has built in solar power and I recently purchased a Jackery 300 power station with Solar Saga 100W panel to supplement.
I just picked up the bike today, so I’ll measure the wheel spread to see if the rails need to be cut. I plan to leave enough space between the tongue box and bike to allow unobstructed access to the box, which houses the propane tank, battery, chocks, etc. I’m considering the Thule Upride, but need to do a bit more research. This rack allows the front tire to remain on the bike during transport.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

On the roof. Yakima Parts..... I bought them 25 years ago. It was the cheapest, lightest, simplest option. Incredibly secure with the fork lock.
And I already had the Yakima Pads, Towers and Bars. The "Bike Rack Parts" store in the camper cutlery drawer.

IMG_1427.jpeg

Last edited:

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I carry mine on the 1990's version of this;

I've even had my tandem full suspension mtb on the back of my Land Rover. You can see it folds down so I can open my back door with out removing the bike.

Attachments

Reactions: Advtres

69machguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nunya, USA
First Name
Wally
Last Name
Kunz
I've been thinking about what is the best way to transport my bicycle in/on my 4runner without adding to much additional weight.

What do you all do to transport bikes? Roof Rack, tied to the tire carrier? In the rig?

Anyone using eBikes?

Appreciate the insight.
I have two foldable eBikes, which I typically throw in the back of my truck trip dependent.

Wally

Attachments

Reactions: Advtres

K9 HAULR

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Incline Village, NV, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Lutz
Member #

Had my fabricator add a 2" receiver to my swing out rack...added my Kuat sherpa and it gets my bikes (and wifes e-bike) up a bit so they're protected from rear end collisions. Also nice because they swing out of the way when I get into the back of the truck, instead of just tilting the tray downward.

1646844347799.png

Last edited: