How cold are the temps in early May in new mexico mountains?

• HTML tutorial

mtlangst

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Illinois, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Langst
We will be boondocking in the lincoln nat forest near white sands nm in the first week of may. Does anyone know what the times get to at night? it is at about 9,500 ft elev. i dont have a heat source for boondocking wondering if i need to figure something out.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Looks like nighttime temps can dip on avg to 39ºF in May, with daytime temps in mid-high 60s F.

This may be helpful, from NOAA. I use it all the time when heading somewhere:

Lincoln Natl Forest-2021-02-26.png

You can always get helpful info on the USDA pages, too, for national forests. Here's the one for: Lincoln National Forest

I've camped in the mountains out that way both by van and trailer/RTT in years past.

As for heat while boondocking, a lot depends on what vehicle you're traveling in, if alone or with family, and if tent camping or RV or. . .

I'm always fine, whether in van or RTT, with just a Mr Buddy Heater to warm things up a bit before sleeping (I don't like running it all night), then depending on jungle blankets and my cheap Coleman sleeping bag spread open. Even in sub-freezing weather and storms, has worked really well for me. Warm clothing for early mornings and after dark is advised.

I bet you'll enjoy White Sands. Last time I was out there it was all closed up because of the govt shutdown, but we found plenty to do in Silver City, Alamagordo, Las Cruces, and Gila NF.

roaddude_whitesandsNM-5474-900y.jpeg
roaddude_whitesandsNM-5333-900.jpeg

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
From the elevation, it sounds like you're going to be in the Sacramento Mountains east of WSNP. I'd expect lows in the mid to high 30s at 9,500 ft. It could be colder, I've been in Cloudcroft in mid-April in a snowstorm. I wouldn't expect that in May, though. In the mountains, I'd expect highs in the 60s. Down in White Sands, in the 80s.