How are you guys powering your fridge in the back of SUV?

• HTML tutorial

BigBlueOx_TRD

Rank VII
Investor

World Traveler III

East Bend
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04ACI
We have a Dometic CFX75DZW and I used 8gauge wire and ran it from the Blue Sea Fuse block (used 7.5amp fuse) installed for accessories, at battery, through firewall and then along the interior. I removed the kick panel and kick trim pieces along driver side, and trim across the rear cargo at carpet. Then used right side panel of our 4runner, where I used a drimmel tool to cut out a space to mount a Blue Sea Systems (PN: 4356) where I can cut power on/off for for the fridge when needed. This worked great for camping for multiple days when our 100w solar panels were hooked up. We also use it every weekend for groceries with no issues. Recently we upgraded to the Genesis Offroad Dual Battery system for 5th gen T4R with Odyssey Performance Batteries. This allows us to run the fridge at the beach without lugging around heavy solar panels. We do intend to get a small solar blanket for the long stationary trips, just to keep the batteries topped off and not damage them. If you'd like pictures of this, you can find them under our IG: BigBlueOx_TRD
Or, I edited this to attach the photos here...

Attachments

Last edited:

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
We are working out details now. I am thinking a small Lithium battery in the back of the Jeep would be best. Charge it from the main Jeep charging and run the fridge off that when stopped. Something I know will last a full day running.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
We are working out details now. I am thinking a small Lithium battery in the back of the Jeep would be best. Charge it from the main Jeep charging and run the fridge off that when stopped. Something I know will last a full day running.
What are peoples thoughts on this. My friend and I know of a quick solinoid solution to automatically charge the lithium ion battery while driving, and then disconnect when the Jeep is turned off. We won't be stationary for more than 24 hrs at a time, so a decent small Lithium battery should do the trick. Might be able to tuck it away under the hood, and just run the wires back to the panel for power.

Alex Brame

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Woodburn, Oregon, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Brame
Member #

I have run my smaller fridge (alpicool) for that long with a stand-alone jackery 500 (500 watt). It kept the fridge going for about 24 hours. The option is always there to start the car up and charge it in place.
I also have a dometic fridge, which is larger but draws less power to run (better design, no doubt). The dometic could probably go longer.

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
What are peoples thoughts on this. My friend and I know of a quick solinoid solution to automatically charge the lithium ion battery while driving, and then disconnect when the Jeep is turned off. We won't be stationary for more than 24 hrs at a time, so a decent small Lithium battery should do the trick. Might be able to tuck it away under the hood, and just run the wires back to the panel for power.
Sounds good to me, just be sure to charge the lithium battery through a compatible charger, such as THIS Victron. I wouldn't connect straight to alternator power.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Your idea is sound and something I've considered heavily but I'd ask what other needs you have. As was mentioned, you need a battery charge management box to really maximize their life. Segmentation is nice but by the time you add all the parts, you might just be better off buying a Jackery or the Dometic battery bank or something which has the benefit of an inverter for camera gear and electronics and portability in emergencies.

I would just avoid lithium batteries under the hood and get an insulated sleeve if you're exposing them to winter cold.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Your idea is sound and something I've considered heavily but I'd ask what other needs you have. As was mentioned, you need a battery charge management box to really maximize their life. Segmentation is nice but by the time you add all the parts, you might just be better off buying a Jackery or the Dometic battery bank or something which has the benefit of an inverter for camera gear and electronics and portability in emergencies.

I would just avoid lithium batteries under the hood and get an insulated sleeve if you're exposing them to winter cold.
I already have a jackery for electronics and camera charging. I will charge the Jackery from a plug in the rear while driving as well. The battery would only be for fridge power.

Reactions: Alex Brame

RemoteBound

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Remote
Last Name
Wheels
If you have an Alpicool fridge and a Jackery battery, is there "power loss" or any power-related inefficiencies when the current goes from the carry battery -> Jackery -> fridge?

If so, then would it make sense to only have the fridge plugged into the Jackery overnight, or when the car will be off for long periods of time?

In other words, keep the Jackery out of the picture and have the fridge plugged directly into the car's 12V outlet, until you turn the car off. Then plug the Jackery into the car's 12V outlet and plug the fridge into the Jackery.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

I used the ARB wiring harness I got from Amazon, but I only have a Dometic 35 and a grizzly cooler for drinks. That way I still have extra water with the Ice melt that's I can use just in case.

Alex Brame

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Woodburn, Oregon, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Brame
Member #

If you have an Alpicool fridge and a Jackery battery, is there "power loss" or any power-related inefficiencies when the current goes from the carry battery -> Jackery -> fridge?

If so, then would it make sense to only have the fridge plugged into the Jackery overnight, or when the car will be off for long periods of time?

In other words, keep the Jackery out of the picture and have the fridge plugged directly into the car's 12V outlet, until you turn the car off. Then plug the Jackery into the car's 12V outlet and plug the fridge into the Jackery.
The whole reason for the jackery is that the circuitry in the fridges won't allow you to run off a battery below 12.4 volts. In fact there's a small range, 12.7 volts max. and 12.4 volts min. Otherwise it shuts off. Having the Jackery (lithium battery) in line fools this circuitry. As I said before, I went to the trouble of putting a 2nd, accessory battery (boat battery, which works down to 4 amps or something) under the hood, but the fridges come with "idiot proof" circuitry that you can't override or rip out, as far as I can tell. The lithium battery has a completely different power curve, so it fools this circuitry.

Reactions: 9Mike2

EStonebreaker

Rank 0

Contributor I

Maine, ME, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Homchuck
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MPB
Bluetti AC50S sitting next to the ICECO JP40 on the folded-down back seat of my DCLB Tacoma.
I run the exact same setup in the back of our Forester when on the road. When at home the Bluetti is connected to a fixed solar panel on the roof and supplies power to the ICECO and all the lights in our kitchen and dining room.

Reactions: Wellspring

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I use a 500 watt battery bank for my fridge. I can plug into the jeep or solar panel to charge.
I like it because I can leave it at camp while I go explore, and it'll be charging while I'm gone.

20201117_061529.jpg

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I'm currently using my 540Wh rockpals to power my 40L fridge. Draws 40w on startup, and drops to about 33.

I added an online voltage stabilizer, as the 12v output of the rockpals is unregulated. This allows me to use the full capacity of the battery pack to power the fridge, which will last two solid days on a full charge.

I charge the pack via an added 12v port I installed on the center console. It's set up to switch on while the vehicle is running using a relay. Power comes from my auxiliary electrical system. This way, I can leave the battery plugged in, and it automatically charges while I'm driving. I can also charge it via a 120w solar panel.

It's been working well enough, but for the trailer I'm building, I'm likely going lifepo4 and a DC-DC charger powered straight from the tow vehicle's battery. I plan on augmenting that with solar as well.