Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I am liking this and the possibilities are nice, could be used on a trailer as well.... kinda on the gotta save for it price range (for me) but I like it:

So what do you think about this idea?

Jm

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Looks interesting. Too bad they don't show how to actually set it up. Is it a one person job, two person? etc.

Closest thing I could find on YouTube is this, but it also doesn't show how to break it down/setup.

AnywhereInTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
C
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRDP535
Def interesting. Seems a viable option for taller SUV's otherwise you have a sail on the back end of the vehicle. Tongue weight on the heavier tents will change vehicle dynamics, break over angle will change to extra length, and the tent will most likely rattle without a stabilizing brace.

It appears to be hinged at the bottom so you maybe able to take it on and off with one person. If that is true, that is def. a nice feature to create a base camp quickly without a trailer.

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

The issues I see are: Clearance, Visibility, and Cost. Interesting idea if not going off road. Since the tent is not included, it would be easy to have over $2K invested. If left attached to the vehicle, looks like the same amount of space lengthwise is required for setup as having a short trailer. But it may be the perfect setup for some.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I wonder what the benefit would be over a large cot tent or even an Oz Tent or Gazelle Tent?
Financially this contraption makes little sense in my mind: $1,200 awkward rack + $1,200 tent.
I wonder how much it weighs. Assuming it is about 100lb and the average tent is 150lbs, 250lbs of tongue weight will be noticed.

But, my biggest concern would be accessing my chips and salsa at lunch time with this rack blocking access to the rear of my Cruiser :fearscream:

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
A rooftop tent mounted to a folding rack that has legs on it... Hmm, too much money to do the same thing as a rooftop tent that doesn't block rearward vision, 200+ lbs bouncing on the rear of your vehicle while off roading, it uses the trailer hitch that you were going to use for bike racks, recovery, boat, ate, etc... I am going to say no thank you, but that is definitely thinking outside the box.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I have a single person cot tent and I love it. It weighs 25 lbs and is very comfortable, easy to set up, and has easily withstood 3 days of fairly steady rain with zero issues.
IMG_20190629_163726800_HDR.jpg
They also make a 2 person version. I got mine on sale for $50 Canuck Bucks, shipped to my door. If I wanted something bigger, the two person version would be better than that hitch tent thingy, I'd say.