Rank V

Enthusiast III

Elgin, Moray, Scotland, United Kingdom
First Name
David
Last Name
Lawson
Member #

This subject may have been covered before but thought I would start again. What type of systems have people installed in their vehicles? What system is preffered heat exchanger or using gas / propane?
Is there a best make of either?

Kyleg

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Port Hedland
Member #

our setup use's a heat exchanger on the exhaust. wound a 3 meter copper pipe around it and use small solid state pump to cycle the water around it back to the tank. the temp is also regulated by an electrical unit . works great takes 2 hours of driving to heat a 40l tank to 47'c perfect for a shower

DRLExpress

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Estacada OR
Member #

our setup use's a heat exchanger on the exhaust. wound a 3 meter copper pipe around it and use small solid state pump to cycle the water around it back to the tank. the temp is also regulated by an electrical unit . works great takes 2 hours of driving to heat a 40l tank to 47'c perfect for a shower
Great idea. How does the temp regulator work? If it just turns the pump on and off wouldn't the heat exchanger overheat when the water was not flowing?

Doug

Kyleg

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Port Hedland
Member #

Great idea. How does the temp regulator work? If it just turns the pump on and off wouldn't the heat exchanger overheat when the water was not flowing?

Doug
Yes that’s how it works , it would just boil what’s in the coil, it’s vented so there is no pressure . It’s not drinking water so the taste doesn’t matter . Never smelt bad either

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: SpeysideAT35

Madbodhi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Mayville WI
Member #

Its a project I'm working on.
hotwater.jpg
The main components for my onboard hot water. Actually got the parts last year but got put on the backburner
nXBr-Ui4k1jiIF4SNkn815NNB--3zoiF7zZhe2nzR_spX92IB.jpg
Space is tight under hood with dual batteries, onboard air, etc. So, the heat exchanger will be tied into the rear auxiliary heater located underneath on the driver side of my Land Cruiser. Have not yet decided if I'm going to hardmount the pump or not but I will be using pressure washer quick connect fittings for the inlet and outlet water side. The pump is self priming and the plan is to have a good length of hose with a filter on the intake with a T fitting to accommodate some of the intake water bypassing the heater and running to a thermostatic mixing valve. Terminating in a shower head with an on/off switch.

Reactions: SpeysideAT35