Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
It must be me. I must be out to lunch. I have tried several of the navigation apps available. I even spent a bit of money on a couple of them, as I recall about 20 bucks each or so, and I have dumped every one of them except the free Google Maps which is very good at estimating drive times and finding addresses of homes and businesses that I need to find my way to. However, off grid, Google Maps is basically useless. Just recently I led a small group into our local backcountry and used, heaven forbid, a paper map. At that, over the 3 day tour I only blew one turn, and only by one vehicle length, so it was easy for me to back up and make the right that I very slightly overshot. So, to make it short, I just don't get it. For my wife and I there is so much to see, so much to experience, so much to take in, that we just can't be bothered with setting up and watching an electronic device inside our cab. Call me Mr. Fuddy-Duddy if you must, but I just haven't encountered the need for any navigation screens while out and about. I kinda put them right up there with back-up and blind spot cameras. What the heck would you do if they failed? Not know how to back up or change lanes without them? Or worse yet, just park the vehicle? I'm interested in hearing your stories and experiences with said devices, the good the bad and the ugly. Cause in the back of my mind I'm thinking I may one day actually need one. Kinda lke cell phones, good luck finding a phone booth. Peace out, be good.. and thanks for your input...

Reactions: Ditcherman

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

I love paper maps! I'm working on building a decent stack of Deloreme's. I also HATE getting directions from siri, I like to look at google earth and memorize the route and what the place looks like from a birds eye view. This habit comes from driving a crew cab 8' bed truck for years in a commuter car world. But I will say that I'm not that good at memorizing a long route, and sometimes its just to much of a pain or last minute decision to jot down directions with an actual pencil on an actual piece of paper, so out comes siri.
I have come to really like Gaia from the standpoint of being able to download maps ahead of time, have no service, and see where I'm at. Backpacking, driving, whatever. So, I'm looking at it from the point of view that is like a paper map, and I am making the decision to turn wherever, not taking instruction from an electronic thing. I think my hatred for siri comes from being a control freak, and I'm controlling when I look at my phone for a turn, usually after I've hiked a mile too far the wrong way. But I'm in control.