Honeymoon Trip Planning Help

• HTML tutorial

Kevtd

Rank 0

Contributor II

Well my Fiancee and I are planning to make our honeymoon a 2 week or longer road trip around a bunch of western north America. Iv have been down the coast all before but never further inland in the states.
We have a rough route planned out so far leaving Vancouver headed east to Banff and Jasper, back down through Edmonton and Calgary to Yellowstone, Down to the salt flats then Back to Vancouver on the coast.

Untitled.png
We will most likely be taking my 2005 Volvo XC70 on AT tires and be mixing motels, tent and back of vehicle camping along the way.

My question is for you people down south, what do you think of the route? Anything along the way we just have to see? Any good roads? (It may be a station wagon but it does love the dirt)

Plan is to leave in early June so were just early days into planning the trip. Love to hear what input you all have!

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Do not pass up US Glacier National Park. At the very least, drive through it from East to West. If you have a couple of hours, take the steam powered boat trip from the Chalet.

Now remember this is her honeymoon, not a camping trip, you are along for the ride. Do some nice things. Slow down, spend time together, not just driving.

At least pull in and have a meal at Lake Louise between Jasper and Banff. Maybe drive up to the Columbian Ice Fields. Check out the Japanese Gardens south of Calgary.

You need to at least drive through Yellowstone and visit the geysers. And on the way south, slow down and admire the Tetons.

If you go through Rock Springs, WY, make sure and stop at Wall Drug for an ice cream or malt.

Slow down and enjoy this once in a lifetime journey together. My wife and I have been married 43 years. We did a trip in my camper van in 1975 for our honeymoon.

Reactions: PB&Me

Luinil Explorations

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
We did a trip from Oregon to Edmonton and back to Vancouver a few years ago. Unless there you have a reason to go to Edmonton I would skip it. The drive south to Calgary is flat and not very interesting. We went from Jasper to Lilloette and then down to Vancouver. Beautiful drive.

You could go from Reno across California and then up the coast on highway 1. That would take you through the redwoods.

Kevtd

Rank 0

Contributor II

These responses are exactly why I posted this thank you!
@old_man After showing these to her we have decided to shorten the distance (probably by cutting out the northern half) and see about giving ourselves more time in fewer places instead. Hearing from people like you is exactly why I posted this .
@PB&Me I will for sure push to check out SE Oregon that looks incredible.
Shes an adventurer like me and so shortening the route took a bit of convincing but we will re work it with the advice we have gotten and update this with our new route soon. Planning and re planing this is half the fun.

Reactions: PB&Me

Ridge Runner Tundra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Woodbridge, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Cimoli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE6UDC
Looks like it will be a great trip, congrats on getting married. Please post pictures of your trip.

Kevtd

Rank 0

Contributor II

Haha the congratulations are a bit pre mature. Were not even officially engaged (have to delay the public part for personal reasons but that will be in the next few weeks) But I will for sure post pictures!

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

if your in Oregon , the coast is nice but crater lake is amazing ( pictures dont come close to its beauty ) and if you want a great romantic night stay at mcmenamins in bend and get a room that has the big ol clawfoot bathtubs in the room , they have fantastic food and some amzing booze .and the town of bend and the surrounding area is just amazing .