Honda Ridgeline/ Pilot Stock VS Lifted Uwharrie Offroad (AWD Festival 2022)

• HTML tutorial

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

As annoying as I find it when people just post their YT content to pump-up views without any additional insight or conversation, it was kind of interesting seeing the AWD rigs make it through some decent obstacles. Still, I just kept thinking "why"? I guess many would say that about my vehicular choices ("why bother SAS'in a Chevy when you can buy a Ford or RAM, why even build a WJ..?") so maybe it's pot-kettle-black, but it seems like y'all are doing things the hard way just for the sake of doing it the hard way. Maybe that's the point.

-TJ

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

As annoying as I find it when people just post their YT content to pump-up views without any additional insight or conversation, it was kind of interesting seeing the AWD rigs make it through some decent obstacles. Still, I just kept thinking "why"? I guess many would say that about my vehicular choices ("why bother SAS'in a Chevy when you can buy a Ford or RAM, why even build a WJ..?") so maybe it's pot-kettle-black, but it seems like y'all are doing things the hard way just for the sake of doing it the hard way. Maybe that's the point.

-TJ
I understand the critique about the format of the post, but I prefer creating videos to writing. Some of these AWD vehicles (not my Pilot LOL) provide a lot of on road comfort and gas mileage advantages compared to serious off road rigs. For me personally my Pilot was purchased before I was drawn to Overlanding. It is paid off and just happens to lug the whole family from point a to b.

For me life is a little more fun with a challenge. We have noticed that those who drive purpose built rigs or side by sides rarely seem to smile on these trails. Our crew, however, is having the time of our lives!

Here is a link to my build thread. 2007 Honda Pilot Off Road Build

Last edited:

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

-TJ
FYI the video next week will have more challenging trails!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Yikes, encouragement for street vehicles to go on technical trails & tracks. I’ll keep my opinion to myself other than to say, that not long ago some guy & gal asked my advice about the trail ahead. They were in a bone stock F150. They seemed insulted by my advice and went past us in a huff. Many hours later they passed by our camp on the way back to town. I saw the spare tire being used, the 150 leaned heavily, and a new rip dent all on the passenger side. The pair looked very unhappy. Like I stated, I’ll keep my opinion to myself, I don’t want to get booted or banned from these forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: DintDobbs

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I understand the critique about the format of the post, but I prefer creating videos to writing. Some of these AWD vehicles (not my Pilot LOL) provide a lot of on road comfort and gas mileage advantages compared to serious off road rigs. For me personally my Pilot was purchased before I was drawn to Overlanding. It is paid off and just happens to lug the whole family from point a to b.

For me life is a little more fun with a challenge. We have noticed that those who drive purpose built rigs or side by sides rarely seem to smile on these trails. Our crew, however, is having the time of our lives!

This is my build thread, but these days it is mostly video content. 2007 Honda Pilot Off Road Build

Very fair points. They say "the best Overlander is the vehicle you already own" so I totally get that. And if it also serves as your DD the comfort, MPG etc. all make sense. At some point if you find it's holding you back from getting places you want to go, I'm sure you'll look into another platform, but for now have at it and have fun! I'm curious, with the lift/wheels/tires/roof rack/etc. what freeway MPG are you actually seeing?

-TJ

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Very fair points. They say "the best Overlander is the vehicle you already own" so I totally get that. And if it also serves as your DD the comfort, MPG etc. all make sense. At some point if you find it's holding you back from getting places you want to go, I'm sure you'll look into another platform, but for now have at it and have fun! I'm curious, with the lift/wheels/tires/roof rack/etc. what freeway MPG are you actually seeing?

-TJ
I average 16 on the interstate going 70. If I remove the roof basket and step down to AT tires I think I could see over 18mpg. I believe the red lifted Ridgeline gets over 20 and it is a lot more capable with an updated awd system and much lower crawl ratio.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I average 16 on the interstate going 70. If I remove the roof basket and step down to AT tires I think I could see over 18mpg. I believe the red lifted Ridgeline gets over 20 and it is a lot more capable with an updated awd system and much lower crawl ratio.
Gotcha, all-in-all not bad for what it is. My stock '12 Xterra gets similar (16.5 MPG going from Vegas to the Bay Area at ~80 MPH) with the stock roof-rack in place, just as a point of reference (full-frame SUV with a real t-case and low range as well as a locking rear diff and 32"s at stock height).

-TJ

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Gotcha, all-in-all not bad for what it is. My stock '12 Xterra gets similar (16.5 MPG going from Vegas to the Bay Area at ~80 MPH) with the stock roof-rack in place, just as a point of reference (full-frame SUV with a real t-case and low range as well as a locking rear diff and 32"s at stock height).

-TJ
I have quite a few videos wheeling with my friends Xterra. We took a trip out to Colorado together. My Pilots wheel base and width is almost identical to an Xterra.
Our V-tm4 Hondas (Pilot, Ridgeline, Passport) have an electromagnetic rear clutch system that can send power to both rear wheels.
I definitely wish I had low range!

Last edited:

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
When was this recorded? I was in Uwharrie in 2022, I would have loved to laugh at this craziness!

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
And @tjZ06, yes, largely the enjoyment is in the challenge. During my 2022 trip, I was solo, so I didn't attempt the hardest trails, but even with my poorly configured stance at the time, I found that even the "moderate" trails were little more than a scenic drive. The only real challenge I faced was the unfamiliarity of driving downhill on the stones, since I'm from flat land.

Seeing these AWD's struggling on the smallest obstacles reminds me of the reason that I picked the truck I did, but it also reminds me of how much fun wheeling was before it was so overbuilt.

@b0wfin That's your Pilot? Seems like your tire choice alone gets you a lot farther than the stockies some of the other guys were running. Even loaded and with the RTT, that seems like quite the competent rig.

Low range isn't useful very often, but when you need it, you really need it!

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

And @tjZ06, yes, largely the enjoyment is in the challenge. During my 2022 trip, I was solo, so I didn't attempt the hardest trails, but even with my poorly configured stance at the time, I found that even the "moderate" trails were little more than a scenic drive. The only real challenge I faced was the unfamiliarity of driving downhill on the stones, since I'm from flat land.

Seeing these AWD's struggling on the smallest obstacles reminds me of the reason that I picked the truck I did, but it also reminds me of how much fun wheeling was before it was so overbuilt.

@b0wfin That's your Pilot? Seems like your tire choice alone gets you a lot farther than the stockies some of the other guys were running. Even loaded and with the RTT, that seems like quite the competent rig.

Low range isn't useful very often, but when you need it, you really need it!
You are right on with the tires! I had to cut to fit them, but the Yokohama Geolandar G003 M/T 235-85-16 tires aired down to 18psi give me tons of traction. At this point it is clear the 32" tires are not helping my crawl ratio.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
Watched the whole rain video, looks like a hoot! I've dealt with swamp mud many a time, but no mud is slick and slimy like that mountain clay. Fortunately for me, the two days I was there were dry!

It's true, you can walk a truck right up a 45-degree incline, but get out and try to walk it, and you'll slip up.

Definitely looking forward to getting out there again this year.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran

-TJ
Just to add to this and the rest of the conversation… my ‘old’ Subaru had more clearance (12”) than probably most of the people on here, including my truck, and if I drove a reasonable speed I could see 25mpg on a good day. Still quiet, still comfortable, and far more capable than most are willing to accept. Took it all over the place and always enjoyed seeing people’s faces after passing them on trails. I knew its limits but it was always fun, which is why we do these things right?! Never had to beat or abuse it to get where I was going but I’ve been driving off road since I was a pre license kid. I absolutely LOVE my truck and my Bison admittedly makes more challenging trails bizarrely easy but my Subaru will always live fondly in my memories.

59683B04-12FD-4BFF-AEAB-CECF236B6C52.jpeg

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
All equipment being equal, a good driver can get any car far past where a poor driver would get stuck.

Sadly, many people are overconfident in their vehicle's capabilities, and fail to develop good judgment and driving practices.

I enjoy watching good drivers in moderate vehicles outperforming poor drivers in better vehicles. I could tell some stories, but this isn't the thread for it.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Just to add to this and the rest of the conversation… my ‘old’ Subaru had more clearance (12”) than probably most of the people on here, including my truck, and if I drove a reasonable speed I could see 25mpg on a good day. Still quiet, still comfortable, and far more capable than most are willing to accept. Took it all over the place and always enjoyed seeing people’s faces after passing them on trails. I knew its limits but it was always fun, which is why we do these things right?! Never had to beat or abuse it to get where I was going but I’ve been driving off road since I was a pre license kid. I absolutely LOVE my truck and my Bison admittedly makes more challenging trails bizarrely easy but my Subaru will always live fondly in my memories.

View attachment 248730
Yeah, the IFS/IRS clearance advantage over anything solid axle is something to consider. The lack of articulation obviously introduces other issues, but when it comes to pure ground clearance IFS/IRS will win for any given tire size.

-TJ

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I live in the Lowcountry of SC. My vehicle does great in the mud and doesn't diff out like a solid axle vehicle. I value recovery gear and have a setup that includes both front and rear winch options (the video below predates my hidden winch mount), as well kinetic rope, traction boards, gps emergency communicator, and more.

Screenshot from the video below

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@b0wfin You used the bean dip outta those traction boards in the rain video. I haven't used traction boards, but I plan to buy a pair of 'em... as soon as I get more stuck than I can dig out of with a shovel. (I've been stuck 3 times now, but had other means of getting out).

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

@b0wfin You used the bean dip outta those traction boards in the rain video. I haven't used traction boards, but I plan to buy a pair of 'em... as soon as I get more stuck than I can dig out of with a shovel. (I've been stuck 3 times now, but had other means of getting out).
Correction! Everyone else used the bean dip out of my traction boards... LOL

I haven't used my new boards yet, but they stack really nice and have more heft to them.

BUNKER INDUST Off-Road Traction Boards