Rank V

Explorer I

Burlington County, NJ, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mez
Member #

I purchased a 2001 Honda CR-V RealTime 4WD EX in 2017 for $2000. Amazed about how many times this compact recreational vehicle has driven through the first day of heavy snow (yes, it is an anomaly - I live in New Jersey), and the sand roads with intermittent "duck ponds" in New Jersey Wharton State Forest.

I'll be keeping it "stock" as much as possible.

Following are recent photos along with the results of searched information on the internet:

Link: 1st Gen Honda CR-V RealTime 4WD Compilation

B2771436-BA8A-4C88-9268-46DBA52B147D.jpeg
Front corner view.

2648917F-72B1-4142-9FF9-BD497B812CED.jpeg
Inside view.

OLB 2001 Honda CR-V 4WD EX - 03.JPG
Ground clearance measured.

OLB 2001 Honda CR-V 4WD EX - 04.jpg
2001 Honda CR-V Specifications.

Later,
Joe

Last edited:
Reactions: Panhandle Jeff

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Great job! Those tires look like good wet/snow weather performers. (Lots of sipes). Your traction aids are nice & compact for emergency use. You're on your way. I applaud you for being practical.
Consider tying a length of orange Paracord or an orange dog training lead to your traction aids. They have a tendency to dig themselves into our sugar sand. Cordage will keep you from digging for them.

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Good lob! An added benefit is lower center-of-gravity & less aerodynamic drag! (from someone who gets 12-16 mpg, I applaud keeping stuff off the roof). Plus, it's a low-key way of doing things instead of the "Look at me, I'm an Overlander" way.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Awesome. I agree with @MuckSavage the leas you look like an overlander...the easy enjoying the rig you got will be.

Your vehicle is capable of getting to 99 percent of the legal places in the area. A much better overall experience when you blend in vs stand out...my opinion.

Your setup looks great and will bring many happy nights in the wilderness.

Keep the updates coming.

izzywolf

Rank 0

Contributor II

Central NJ, USA
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Oakes
I'm researching now for a good rig and was debating whether to get a unibody SUV, then I saw this thread. I'm thinking "wow, this is relevant!"
Can you share some advice about using a unibody SUV for Off-roading and what to consider when getting one?

Hiking in Jersey might be boring (yeah, I have high expectations. I'm from Ohio), but it's gotta be awesome to go Off-roading. I get so jealous when I see those guys with their Jeeps and FJs zooming through Wharton.

Are there any trails where they let you off-road (in NJ in general)? I always see these threatening looking signs.

Reactions: TSO_NJ

izzywolf

Rank 0

Contributor II

Central NJ, USA
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Oakes

izzywolf

Rank 0

Contributor II

Central NJ, USA
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Oakes
I owned a 1978 Ford F-150 4X4 in the 80s. The chassis from bumper to bumper is ideal for rugged areas. The F-150’s parts have large material mass allowing it to be durable for extreme (being far beyond the norm) surfaces and heavy loads.

Photo of a 1978 Ford F-150 4X4 (not mine but it is the same color of the one I owned)

View attachment 212820

My 1st Generation Honda CR-V 4WD ($2000) will NEVER be driven on ALL of the same surfaces the F-150 was driven on. The parts have small material mass so it is engineered for soft surfaces (dirt, sand, gravel, and stones) and light loads.

Once you have an idea of where to drive off road (extreme or soft) then that should help to narrow the rig selection.
Realistically, I'm probably going down muddy "horse-trails" (full of ruts but not that many rocks) when I'm not in Jersey.

At this point in time I have my eyes on a Suzuki XL7 (pre-2006). I was into the Lexus GX470 but the premium gas and timing belt were unappealing.