Launch Member

Traveler III

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
D
Member #

Looking to do a day trip to Homochitto National Forest in Mississippi. Anyone have any recommend routes or would it be better to just wander around the fire roads? I know there are a few older bridges, have a pin on one. Thanks!

Reactions: 1811tactical

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Looking to do a day trip to Homochitto National Forest in Mississippi. Anyone have any recommend routes or would it be better to just wander around the fire roads? I know there are a few older bridges, have a pin on one. Thanks!
We just got back from a day trip to the south side of Homochitto, and I ran into a bunch of closed or decommissioned roads. Nothing wild out there at all since the roads with ruts are blocked off.

Did you find any decent routes or spots to try out?

Reactions: KarmaSeoul

KarmaSeoul

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
D
Member #

We just got back from a day trip to the south side of Homochitto, and I ran into a bunch of closed or decommissioned roads. Nothing wild out there at all since the roads with ruts are blocked off.

Did you find any decent routes or spots to try out?
Same thing, a lot of bridges out too. They were doing burns while we were there so didn't stick around. We will look elsewhere next time.

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Yeah, I've been quite disappointed with what MS has to offer. The best wheeling that I've found this far south was in the Ozarks/Ouachita mountains in Arkansas. We've hit kisatchie and Desoto and were fairly underwhelmed, as well. Still have a lot of exploring left to do in Kisatchie though

KarmaSeoul

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
D
Member #

I was looking into Kisatchie, just a few hours drive for me. Might make an overnight trip. Worried though, its just the same as the rest. A few friends recommended it, though they hiked through it.

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

The hiking is great in Kisatchie, that's where we do most of our backpacking. The Backbone trail is awesome and is what got us addicted to camping in the first place. I've done only minor scouting over there for over landing, but I can send you the route we took last time. There are a lot of seasonal roads in there that could pose a bit of a logistical nightmare, so be prepared to deviate from any routes you plan

Reactions: KarmaSeoul

KarmaSeoul

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
D
Member #

I tend to have a general plan and then just go with it. Things always seem to be constantly evolving. And yeah, any routes would be a great help if you don't mind. Now that its kinda cooling down, I'm wanting to get out and hit the places I haven't been to yet.

Reactions: PicNick

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

I just noticed that you're right down the road from me! I'm in the Prairieville/Gonzales area. Next time I'm pointing my Grand Cherokee at the forest, I'll have to shoot you an invite. I've got a couple of friends that I wheel with in the winter because of the dang heat we've got down here.

I'll PM you the route for your reference.