Homemade Solar Shower

• HTML tutorial

Sir William Goes

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lexington, SC
Member #

I have been wanting to install a Solar Shower after seeing a product online called the Road Shower. When I saw the road shower and the fact that it cost $300 I was sure there was a way to do it cheaper. Here is the simplest Solar Shower you can make and cost well under $100.

I'm not sure how much water it holds but I think it's over 5gal. I know it's plenty to take a shower. It doesn't hold air for long but I keep the little Viair compressor hooked up while in use and all is well. I'm very happy with this install and know it will be a game changer when Camping. Below is what I used

4"x5' ABS Tube (because it's already black)
1 45 degree
1 90 degree
2 couplers with caps
1 tire valve
1 valve
1 6ft hose
1 spray nozzle
1 6pack 7in stainless steel screw clamps
Silicone
Drill bits for hose valve and tire valve
ABS Cement

And

6 pack of Bud Light!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

SAFETYRUNNER

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRHZ939
Nice job and seems to meet your needs simply. My concern using my 4Runner as a daily driver is the added height of the 90 degree fill. I can see that as a catch point in some low garages and also on trails. Is that a concern for you, @SirWilliam ?

Sir William Goes

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lexington, SC
Member #

Nice job and seems to meet your needs simply. My concern using my 4Runner as a daily driver is the added height of the 90 degree fill. I can see that as a catch point in some low garages and also on trails. Is that a concern for you, @SirWilliam ?
Yes sort of. More so is the fact that it looks awkward.

Sir William Goes

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lexington, SC
Member #

So today I decided that I would try the shower out. So in the backyard balls out I get all soapy and boom run out of water!! I thought for sure that the water would be plenty, after further investigation I really believe that it was not full but I never checked (like a moron) anyways, I'm off tomorrow so I'll be making another trip to do a couple things. 1 change fill point to eliminate the 90° agle and make it about 2ft longer hopefully so that it holds more water. Fix the faucet where it leaks. Stay tuned

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

There are volume calculators online to figure out the number of gallons. Currently, you are only about 3.5 gallons.

Also, make sure your method of showering is correct. Wet yourself, shut the water off, soap up, turn on the water and rinse quickly.

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Just curious, if you could have put a T on it and capped the T? This would eliminate a lot of the height concern, and I think make it look cleaner? But defiantly following this. Keep us updated.

Reactions: Sir William Goes

Sir William Goes

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lexington, SC
Member #

Just curious, if you could have put a T on it and capped the T? This would eliminate a lot of the height concern, and I think make it look cleaner? But defiantly following this. Keep us updated.
Yes. I redid it for solar shower 2.0 Video is almost done and my misfortune is pretty amusing!! Looks WAY BETTER now though!!

Sir William Goes

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lexington, SC
Member #

Ok so I redid the solar shower. As I first stated I learn by trial and error, well I did!!! I determined I would redo the shower put a T on in place of the 90 degree. Well I ran into some complications that came from my extreme lack of patience, Im trying to work on this, and was amplified by my novice ability. None the less I got it finished! Call this Solar Shower 2.0-1 and believe it or not I will end up with a final draft soon!!! 3rd times a charm right!! I did learn that total cost for everything is right at 80$. Video to come shortly

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

I have been wanting to install a Solar Shower after seeing a product online called the Road Shower. When I saw the road shower and the fact that it cost $300 I was sure there was a way to do it cheaper. Here is the simplest Solar Shower you can make and cost well under $100.

I'm not sure how much water it holds but I think it's over 5gal. I know it's plenty to take a shower. It doesn't hold air for long but I keep the little Viair compressor hooked up while in use and all is well. I'm very happy with this install and know it will be a game changer when Camping. Below is what I used

4"x5' ABS Tube (because it's already black)
1 45 degree
1 90 degree
2 couplers with caps
1 tire valve
1 valve
1 6ft hose
1 spray nozzle
1 6pack 7in stainless steel screw clamps
Silicone
Drill bits for hose valve and tire valve
ABS Cement

And

6 pack of Bud Light!!

Went a little radical on the forward end but not complaints on the build a 4 in cal vs a coupling would have sufficed. Plus you could add the valve stem here for a tighter seal fill same thing. Good job though

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk