ECloud89

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Pendleton, IN
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
C
Thanks bud! It's a slow process but moving along nonetheless. Planting season has been slow starting so Saturday I fabbed up a propane mount out of some spare channel from the frame. We will be converting an old Coleman 425f stove to propane.

Sent from my XT1585 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Arnel

Arnel

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lynnwood, WA
Member #

Looking good! I was just talking to my family about building a trailer for the RTT. at times it would be nice to unhook it and leave base camp instead of packing it up each time and the HF trailer looks like a decent starting point.

Reactions: ECloud89

ECloud89

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Pendleton, IN
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
C
It's a good platform. I think we're sub $1000 with materials and frame. I already had the wheels and tires so that saved money. And it allows you to build as you acquire funds unlike buying an outfitted trailer. A RRT is definitely something in the plans but for now we can use our regular tent.

Reactions: Arnel

ECloud89

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Pendleton, IN
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
C

This weekend we borrowed my parents RTT to see if we would really like one, gotta say I enjoyed rolling up to my in-laws and being set up in less than 10 minutes and not messing around with tent poles.
The rear pelican case houses the stove, gas adapter and utensils. My dad and I made the shelf to go on the fender thru the week. I used a piece of 1-1/4" PVC with a 1" PVC insert, drilled a couple holes in the insert piece and use it as an adjustable leg for the table support. Used the same concept for the flag pole as well with the remaining pipe I had.
It's been a insightful trip, we definitely need rear supports to keep the trailer from rocking too much and a lid would help be able to fill the trailer bed with bulkier items.

NOCO4Runner

Rank 0

Traveler I

ECloud89
Great looking build. This is the route I was thinking for a adventure trailer. I have a few questions if you don't mind. Which trailer did you start with, the 1720 lb or the 1195 lb? Did you get new hubs or adapters? It looks like you took 2ft off of the back end, did you narrow the width at all? What gauge metal did you use for the trailer bed?

Thanks, Mike

ECloud89

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Pendleton, IN
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
C
NOCO4runner
I started with the 1720 lb trailer, it already had a 5 lug axle. From there I got adapters to go to my jeep wheels. It was shortened 2 feet and narrowed to 38" I believe but the top is 4'x6' so a RTT wouldn't hang over the edges. The metal I think is 11 or 12 GA and it is sturdy.

Reactions: NOCO4Runner

ECloud89

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Pendleton, IN
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
C
After mustering up the courage to cut a hole in the rear wall for a door I'm happy I did. It makes everything so much easier.
I also scavenged onto a couple jacks from my Jeep and my wife's since their both lifted and made some cheap stabilizers. Hint: if you cut the eyelet off and weld a nut in its place you can have electric jacks if you bring a battery impact with you.
Also made a anti-theft plate that goes in the tongue in place of the ring in case we have to leave it somewhere for some reason. Its a cheap deterent at least.
Lastly I finally bolted the hitch to the rear end for recovery purposes.
Thanks for your encouraging words guys this is my first build thread if you have any questions of more details post em up!

luchaDor

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

Looking great. I have my own project to start soon...I wish I knew how to weld & metal fabrication work. But...I don't. I need to lengthen the tongue on mine. Its really close to the Jeep right now.

Keep up the good work!

Reactions: ECloud89

DMill556

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Dawsonville, Ga
Member #

Fenders and license on, time to work out the kinks and figure out propane, spare tire, and air compressor/tank set up.

Already got annoyed with the pintle hitch.

I know the feeling I wrapped a sock around mine and duct taped it. I'm trying to rebuild the tounge on my trailer and put a max coupler on it.

Reactions: W4P and ECloud89

ECloud89

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Pendleton, IN
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
C
We attended the Midwest Rally in Brown Co State Park this weekend and we had a blast. My parents joined us and we enjoyed a peaceful weekend away. Some updates on the trailer that I don't have any pics of besides this one, we got a lid to seal the top of the trailer. We can now use the lower portion to its full extent. I used 2- 165Lb air shocks to hold the lid up to be able to get stuff in and out of the tub. The lid opens to the side and the RTT pivot is on the same side, allowing the ability to open the trailer with the tent set up. We got a TuffStuff Ranger tent and annex and it seems to work pretty well. We got it Friday afternoon and we left around 6 Friday night. The overhang area is nice to be able to leave the annex windows open and have the sleeping compartment opened up for better air circulation and still have some privacy. So far, so good. But we'll be able to tell more after we spend 4 nights in it over labor day weekend. GOPR2345_1502650043315_high.JPG

skootter14

Rank 0

Traveler I

WA
Good looking trailer, where did you get the closing/locking mechanism for the rear door. I'm drawing up plans to make my own from scratch and really like that method to close the door.