• HTML tutorial

mark_themachinst_guy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Island, New York
Member #

Hey all,

I have a whole grocery list of plans for my 2010 FJ this year. Starting with a bumper and winch install as soon as the weather gets above freezing here on Long Island. One of my goals to complete before the summer is a DIY roof top tent. I've been doing a bit of research and I've seen a handful of guys do it, so I know its possible. I'm also pretty handy with tools and stuff (as my username implies, I'm a machinist) so I have no worries about building it. I'm set on doing a typical "tent" setup vs. a hardshell tent due to space. I'd like to still have a little bit of my roof rack to use for bins and such.

Has anyone here ever built their own RTT? Any tips you could give me? Along with the tent I also plan on making a homebrew awning, which looks a lot simpler than the tent. I've also considered building a drawer system with a sleeping platform for the interior. However I'd like to reserve the inside of the FJ for storage of camping/recovery and other necessary equipment.

What do you all think? Those of you who have RTT's, I'd like to know how they are, and if anyone has built their own I'd love to see some photos to get some ideas!

I'll be sure to either make a photo album or video when I get around to finally building it to give some of you ideas to build your own!

Thanks guys!

Reactions: Russell Peters

Funmobile

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yuba City
Member #

I debated building my own, then stumbled onto a Tepui for a great price (REI used gear sale) If you embark on the process, I would be happy to send pics of whatever areas of mine, you need. With that said, I couldn't be happier, with mine. Well maybe I would go a smudge larger....

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

7539629040_IMG_4870.JPG7539625248_IMG_5024.JPG
Cvt
amazing set up it gives you comfort and stability.. been using it at the beach while night fishing. The need of a sturdy platform is to start. Second a tent with tubular structures and then bolt it on.

SiDbaru

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

i read a few DIY RTT build, before finding my used Bigfoot Explorer, and in my opinion (who cares) the amount of time and effort spent making my own (from what I have seen these build take a while) it was going to be easier and cheaper to buy one. My time is valuable and I have a ton of project already.

But to each their own they say. I do believe it would be fulfilling to build ones own RTT and I dont doubt there is fun in the process. Luckily for me the stars aligned and i got my RTT for a bargain.
Best of luck -SiDs operator