Home built trailer

• HTML tutorial

Avis

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Figured I'd post up my build here and continue as I fine tune it and add on to it!

Started with a pile of metal / parts in the shop and got to it..

Got the top rack that the tent and awning will mount to in.. would prove to be a huge pain to get it dialed in and moving freely.

Getting all the sheet metal done. Originally I was going to try and figure out how to use a hand crank winch to move the rack up /down. Didn't work as well as I hoped so as of right now I'm just using a scissor jack and it's working good.

First test of the rack and checking heights.. I'm 6'3 so I needed to make sure I could stand under the awning and the annex. I didn't want the tent and stuff to always ride that high which is why I had to complicate things. This way the center of gravity is lower and it'll catch less tree branches.

Running 33s on it with Fox shocks.. leaf springs are out of a TRD tacoma and so far everything works great the way I have it.

One thing I'm not a fan of is how far I had to make the tires stick out to run the shocks. I didn't want really short stubby shocks and I also didn't want them inside the tub taking of cargo space. But all said and done it worked out and doesn't stick out past the width of the jeep or truck.

I bent the axle I bought in Mexico, so I ended up building a new one out of .250 wall DOM tube.

Next on the list is to get these boxes cleaned up and mounted, and i'm going to get a couple small propane tanks to mount as well. We have a 3 week trip going from AZ to CO and then to run the Rubicon Trail before heading back home next summer.

I don't have any pictures handy, but I'm running a dual battery setup with solar panels and I'll also have a water tank for it soon as well. It's been a trial and error thing for me as I've never built a trailer for this purpose. But it's been a blast!

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

Very nice work. I had fender issues when I built my trailer, I cut mine and made them longer. You could split the fender and widen them. I bought an extra fender and cut it for parts. Again nice work, Ron

Avis

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Very nice work. I had fender issues when I built my trailer, I cut mine and made them longer. You could split the fender and widen them. I bought an extra fender and cut it for parts. Again nice work, Ron
Not a bad idea! If I start having problems with my rubber "flares" I may end up doing that.

WestCoast4x4

Rank III
Investor

Traveler III

Walnut Grove, BC, Canada
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Martens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA7BDM
That trailer looks great, thanks for posting the build. I'm just starting my build. Any chance you could let me know how/what you did to hook up those fox shocks. I really like the idea. Did you just weld a mount directly to the axel? Thanks for any help you can give.
Brian.

Reactions: Scarab

Avis

Rank III

Enthusiast II

That trailer looks great, thanks for posting the build. I'm just starting my build. Any chance you could let me know how/what you did to hook up those fox shocks. I really like the idea. Did you just weld a mount directly to the axel? Thanks for any help you can give.
Brian.
Thanks Brian! Happy to help ya out.... Yes, so I did just weld on shock tabs to the axle and I ended up picking up a generic tab from a local offroad shop by me for the top of the shock.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/shockbracketstabs.html This is where I got all my tabs / gussets for the build. That link is directly to the shock tab page. The shocks are actually for the front of a newer Tundra.

Reactions: WestCoast4x4

WestCoast4x4

Rank III
Investor

Traveler III

Walnut Grove, BC, Canada
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Martens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA7BDM
Thanks Brian! Happy to help ya out.... Yes, so I did just weld on shock tabs to the axle and I ended up picking up a generic tab from a local offroad shop by me for the top of the shock.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/shockbracketstabs.html This is where I got all my tabs / gussets for the build. That link is directly to the shock tab page. The shocks are actually for the front of a newer Tundra.
That totally makes sense. Thanks! Between the offset on the tires/rims and the axle I've installed I didn't leave any room to install shocks the same as yours! But I'm really starting to believe that I will need to install shocks somehow. I've seen some of the m416 and m101 military trailers with shocks installed underneath at pretty decent angles... But wish I would have seen your build before I started. Oh well, all part of the fun , right?! Cheers!

Sent from my LG-H915 using OB Talk mobile app

Avis

Rank III

Enthusiast II

That totally makes sense. Thanks! Between the offset on the tires/rims and the axle I've installed I didn't leave any room to install shocks the same as yours! But I'm really starting to believe that I will need to install shocks somehow. I've seen some of the m416 and m101 military trailers with shocks installed underneath at pretty decent angles... But wish I would have seen your build before I started. Oh well, all part of the fun , right?! Cheers!

Sent from my LG-H915 using OB Talk mobile app
Yeah, it's been a trial and error process for me for sure... I am somewhat unhappy how far the tires stick out past the trailer, BUT the results of having those shocks set up the way they are is incredible. The trailer rides like a Cadillac because of it and the track width still isn't any wider than my jeep / truck.

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
Out of curiosity, how did you figure out the distance that you wanted your leaf spring hangers from each other? Did you just leave it at the distance of the unsprung leaf ends or did you figure in sprung distance?