Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
I've owned my 1986 Toyota Land Cruiser, model FJ60 for almost 30 years, and just added electronic fuel injection to it from Holley, they call it Sniper fuel injection. It is pretty cool, it learns as you drive it and is completely programmable, even by me! This one is for a 6 cylinder, but they have them for 8 cylinders as well.

From Holley,
Their Sniper fuel injection, 2300 MASTER KIT, POLISHED
Part # 550-849K

A new intake adapter plate to go between the fuel injection and the OEM intake was made out of aluminum, but I have seen these "somewhere" already made up.

I used the distributor below to control all ignition functions, but it is possible for this fuel injection to perform those functions, spark, advance, etc.

I needed a different distributor because I previously had a GM distributor and GM fuel injection grafted on from a Chev Astro van, which was not satisfactory.
From Summit Racing,
Davis Unified Ignition Toyota Street/Strip, 80820RD.

I ordered a set of plug wires for the above distributor because the GM style plug wires did not fit the above distributor.
Spark plug wires from Summit Racing,
DUI-C9079BK

It is important to use a high power fuel pump because the one for the above fuel injection is really just a syphon style, it gets the fuel moving and gravity takes over, so the pump must be mounted low compared to the gas tank, putting it too low in the chassis. I also wanted good reliable fuel pressure.
This is the one I used, it is 60 psi:
FUEL PUMP-INLINE HIGH OUTPUT GCL611-53
Part # 12-920
From Holley.

I installed a new throttle control set up by Lokar, from Amazon
Throttle control: Lokar, Inc.: DP-1000HT, Duo-Pak Hi-Tech Throttle Cable w/SS Throttle Cable Cable Bracket & Springs.
Which is very nice!

My stock air cleaner, snorkel, air blower, carb, and all the spaghetti EPA rubber tubing that is stock is long gone.

AND
Make certain! your exhaust system is sound; if leaking it will suck in air which will cause the O2 sensor to think the system is running lean which will then tell the injection computer to richen up the mixture and that is a BIG problem. Also if you have one, the catalytic converter should be operating correctly.
Also
DO pay attention in the instructions as to where the fuel pump is to be located. IF you locate it too far away from the gas tank, @ WOT the engine will "pulse" due to a too lean burn.

Last edited:

DCHFJ60

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Hi,
Great post and it got me interested in do this on my 60.
I have some questions.
Do you have AC? Did you connect per the Holley install manual?
Also did you use the 3/8 hose etc? I ask as others have said not to use it and go with 5/16 but while that is what the 60 is normally, I think that may be to small. If you did, did you use the hard lines that are installed by Toyota or replace them or use the 3/8 hose Holley supplies in the kit.
Thank in advance. I am really looking at this to modernize my 60.

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Hi,
Great post and it got me interested in do this on my 60.
I have some questions.
Do you have AC? Did you connect per the Holley install manual?
Also did you use the 3/8 hose etc? I ask as others have said not to use it and go with 5/16 but while that is what the 60 is normally, I think that may be to small. If you did, did you use the hard lines that are installed by Toyota or replace them or use the 3/8 hose Holley supplies in the kit.
Thank in advance. I am really looking at this to modernize my 60.
I did not do the install myself, but I do have A/C. I suggest you call Holley/Sniper tech support: 866/464-6553, M-F 8-5 Central. Sat 8-2. There are many people in tech support, some more knowledgeable than others, so calling back helped me :-)

DCHFJ60

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Thanks
How has it been over all for you any regrets or anything you would change?

I am looking at this seriously and seems I have solutions for the AC etc. But real world experience is important.

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Well, my particular install has been very frustrating. I did not know I had an exhaust leak, which caused the exhaust to suck air, telling the O2 sensor things were lean, which caused the computer to richen things up, which threw everything off. Then I had a leaky catalytic converter which caused the same scenario. So check your exhaust, my leaks were very quiet, non detectable ones. Eventually we used a smoke generating machine to push smoke up the tail pipe in order to find the leaks.

I had a friend install my system; he is very good, but he installed the fuel pump too far from the gas tank, a no-no, see the instructions, so that took a while to figure out.

Then I drove it from PA to VT, off road and back last weekend, and the throttle would stick at various RPMs. Finally got that fixed just today and it drives great. The throttle linkage is not from Holley/Sniper.

Note that all the above issues were either plain weird or self inflicted problems. It sure does idle superbly, and now that the throttle does not stick (again, not a Holley/Sniper problem), I am very happy I installed the Sniper FI.

Note that I previously had a Chev Astro van fuel injection grafted into my vehicle and it ran good when I first installed it 20 or 25 years ago but it had gone goofy on me in the last few years.

I've also toyed over and over and forever with the option of either or diesel or gas engine but I can't do that, it is just too far from stock, in spite of so much else I have modified, such as 5 speed, raised it some, rock sliders, winch, etc. But I have not done anything that would be radical for me, so no rear swing out bumper, roof rack or RTT, etc. I want an explorer not a rock crawling fender bender.

Let me know if I can help you further. I'd say do it, but you can also search the Sniper forums, which I have not done, to find out more from others.

Good luck!

Reactions: Boort