Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

How many of you have trailers that that extra hitch receivers so that you can attach other accessories to the trailer? Anyone attaching anything besides a bike rack?

As I contemplate my trailer needs, I'm wondering how useful/valuable these are. In our current style of overlanding/camping, I can't see a use for them for us.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

How many of you have trailers that that extra hitch receivers so that you can attach other accessories to the trailer? Anyone attaching anything besides a bike rack?

As I contemplate my trailer needs, I'm wondering how useful/valuable these are. In our current style of overlanding/camping, I can't see a use for them for us.
I have my swing out tire carrier mounted into the twin side hitch receivers on the back of my trailer. Works wonderfully well. They also serve as shackle mounts and for the trailer's air-lift capability to be dropped into disaster areas, onto the battlefield, etc, which I doubt will ever happen, of course, when I'm owner.

Still have the center hitch receiver available, though with the tire carrier mounted, doubt I'll use it for anything. It's there though, for hitch tray or bike carrier, etc in the future if I move the spare to another location.

xv2-hitches_5734.jpeg

xv2-hitches-5736.png

Reactions: Bulwinkle

GHQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fidalgo Island, WA USA
Member #

I use a $25 Harbor Freight 2" receiver on the back of my M416. Bolted it to the frame with some Grade 8's and reinforced it with angle iron. Have used it with a Yakima rack and with a rear basket style cargo carrier.
m416hitch.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WestieTRD and Road

Traveler I

I use a $25 Harbor Freight 2" receiver on the back of my M416. Bolted it to the frame with some Grade 8's and reinforced it with angle iron. Have used it with a Yakima rack and with a rear basket style cargo carrier.
View attachment 53491
Details on the rotopax mounts? Custom? I was thinking about doing similar with the underneath of my Woolly Bear cargo rack as there is a gap there that would be perfect for it but wrote off the idea as I didn't think just the latch/bolt thing would be enough to hold them upside down.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
The main reason I like mine back there, not only to load up a bike rack or hitch basket for extra crap, but there's a good recovery point to slide in one of these:

recovery_Shackle1.jpg

80_under_a_bridge.jpg

There are other recovery points back there, but I like options and a pull from the center is often the simplest, safest and most useful.
I can also trust that as a jack point for the hi-lift to raise the center of the trailer.

I'm also building a slide-in mount that holds a small 2500 lb, 12volt winch in case I need to pull the rear of the trailer around or rearward.

For me, much more useful than just carrying a bike-rack, and it's a low-cost addition in most cases.
That said, make sure it's attached securely enough to do all those things you want!

FWIW. Dan.

Reactions: Road

GHQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fidalgo Island, WA USA
Member #

Details on the rotopax mounts? Custom? I was thinking about doing similar with the underneath of my Woolly Bear cargo rack as there is a gap there that would be perfect for it but wrote off the idea as I didn't think just the latch/bolt thing would be enough to hold them upside down.
Howdy, with the 1/4" angle iron in place I added two Rotopax deluxe mounts by simply drilling the holes. There's enough room under the M416's rear deck to also stack the Rotopax by adding an extra 2 gal gas and 2 gal water. Mounts have been rock solid for 4,000 miles thus far. m416roto.jpg

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Thanks for all the replies. For some reason I was not getting notices about them.

I can see the appeal of a rear center receiver. A recent high dollar off road trailer I looked at had about six and I could not think of a use for half of them. Was just wondering if I was missing something.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Thanks for all the replies. For some reason I was not getting notices about them.

I can see the appeal of a rear center receiver. A recent high dollar off road trailer I looked at had about six and I could not think of a use for half of them. Was just wondering if I was missing something.
Hey @Etoimos - six hitch receivers? Holy cow. They must have included several for recovery points or something. That does seem a tad excessive. I thought three on mine was a bit much, 'til I saw how handy they were when I got the swing-arm tire carrier, and as recovery points.

As for getting alerts on posts, if using a web browser, you can hover over Alerts in the upper right of most pages (where it has Name, Inbox, Alerts), and you'll see Alert Preferences in the popup. Click on that and you can see which alerts are on by default and change things around to your liking. If that doesn't get you there, this link might: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/account/alert-preferences

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Hey @Etoimos - six hitch receivers? Holy cow. They must have included several for recovery points or something. That does seem a tad excessive. I thought three on mine was a bit much, 'til I saw how handy they were when I got the swing-arm tire carrier, and as recovery points.

As for getting alerts on posts, if using a web browser, you can hover over Alerts in the upper right of most pages (where it has Name, Inbox, Alerts), and you'll see Alert Preferences in the popup. Click on that and you can see which alerts are on by default and change things around to your liking. If that doesn't get you there, this link might: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/account/alert-preferences
Yep, it had one on the rear, two on each sides and one on the tongue (actually, that one was a double and could be used from either side). The two on the rear of yours worked out really well for the swing out. I don't plan on having the spare or a swing out on the rear of the trailer I'm designing, so a single center one should work for me. I'll have it setup as a recovery point for the most part, but the flexibility of it be a receiver could come in handy at some point down the road.

As for the notices, I got the initial one from your first reply (but could not respond at the time) but nothing from anything after it. They are working fine for other threads and this one as well now.