Launch Member

Contributor I

South Florida
First Name
marc
Last Name
lyons
Member #

I am always looking for additional storage as have two kids and space is a premium. I have a 3 week 3k mile trip planned for this summer in either our 100 or 200 series and I am starting to plan. I was thinking about buying this welded aluminum hitch cargo carrier Northbound Aluminum Cargo Carrier / hauler, 24 X 49 heavy duty

and then using some older larger pelican or hardigg lockable storage (see below) and mounting them to the rack with u-bolts. Lockable and weatherproof....! Thoughts?

Pelican Hardigg Military Waterproof Lockable Storage | eBay

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If your not going to be in extreme terrain you should be ok. My only concern would be getting hung up on something offroad but if your just driving around on normal/ somewhat maintained roads it would be fine. I see mini vans on the highway with em all the time always loaded 4 ft high nearly dragging the ground, also those rascal scooters old folks ride use a similar hitch carrier just with ramps.

mpl1978

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

South Florida
First Name
marc
Last Name
lyons
Member #

Offroad yes, however I wont be rock crawling.....just trying to get to remote spots.

glade8r

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Franklinton, NC, USA
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Wells
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4UFU
Should work fine. I use a similar carrier from Harbor Freight for 1/3 of the price and the Plano 56qt tubs waterproofed with weather seal tape (there is a how-to on here somewhere).

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Should work fine. I use a similar carrier from Harbor Freight for 1/3 of the price and the Plano 56qt tubs waterproofed with weather seal tape (there is a how-to on here somewhere).

I have that one. I don't care for the plastic corners on the rails. They seem kind of fragile/brittle. I also have this carrier from HF that I turned into a tongue basket for the trailer.

DeltaBravo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sun City, TX
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG1N
Would it be possible to remove from the hitch and secure it as a roof rack? I've been thinking of going this way, but not sure. Don't mean to hijack the thread; maybe someone else has a similar idea.