Hiking around Phoenix/Mesa/Apache Jct

• HTML tutorial

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

Side question......more activity beyond overlanding.

This Christmas (well just after Christmas through New Years) it's back to Arizona for Family Christmas and Adventures. Sister lives in Mesa. My youngest daughter and I will be staying with my dad in Apache Jct (out near were 60 turns towards Gold Canyon) so we get to see the Superstitions all the time (YES!)

Looking for some cool hikes and destinations. Nothing super crazy trail wise as we will be using a standard 4x4 Silverado with old man running boards. Would love to find a little more forest like settings, but know that isn't easy to do around that area. Have to go up to Prescott area or down to Tucson to Mt Lemmon area. Which I have been to Mt Lemmon, but never hiked.

List of trails already taken....names from AllTrails.

Siphon Draw to Flat Iron (still on my list to complete, made it probably 85% but was concerned about time. Daughter has been to top)
Peralta and Lone Tree (me and older daughter, younger hasn't. Should I mention my helicopter ride back down :disrelieved:)
Cave Trail (part of it, older daughter and I and 2 helicopters later)
Praying Hands to Slot Rock
Lost Goldmine and Cougar Loop
Cibecue Falls (both hiked this one.........my favorite to date)
Silly Mountain

Made the long Jaunt out to Sheep's Bridge. Hit most every trail in Sedona in rented jeeps. Seen the Natural Bridge just outside of Payson. Driven the Apache Trail several times, although it's probably a lot different looking after the Woodbury Fire.

Any of the you that are local have any thoughts? Love to do some photography, see more trees and also maybe some water (yeah, that's tough to do depending on recent weather), hike, just enough nature/scenery. I know trees can be hard to see around Phoenix, like big pines, etc.

Not opposed to a little driving. Basically have the 27th through Jan 3 to do whatever. Not opposed to doing more hiking around the Superstitions either.

Thanks in advance!

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Are you familiar with Bulldog Canyon? Just outside of Mesa / AJ? Great area for easy offroading

Hikes I would recommend the Wave Cave and the Wind Cave

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

Are you familiar with Bulldog Canyon? Just outside of Mesa / AJ? Great area for easy offroading

Hikes I would recommend the Wave Cave and the Wind Cave
I am not familiar with Bulldog Canyon. I'll have to check it out. Nothing to crazy is it? Will be using my dad's truck, stock Silverado Ext Cab 4x4 with standard bars on it.

Heard of Wave and Wind caves, just never done it.

Thanks

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

I am not familiar with Bulldog Canyon. I'll have to check it out. Nothing to crazy is it? Will be using my dad's truck, stock Silverado Ext Cab 4x4 with standard bars on it.

Heard of Wave and Wind caves, just never done it.

Thanks
You have to get a free permit for Bulldog Canyon.

You just email them some info and they reply fairly quick. Possibly same day as long as it's not a weekend.

It is not very difficult. Mostly 2wd friendly but high clearance needed. Id recommend Wolverine to Blue point for a nice scenic drive.

Here is the link to the permit and info

Download the Pdf guide and map for all the info

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Wind cave is in Usery park, Wave cave is out by Peralta I believe. Hieroglyphic Trail by Gold canyon is a cool easy trail. Rattle snakes shouldn't be a problem this time of year. In the summer there are buzz worms all over out there.

There was a tough spot on Bulldog a few weeks ago on a Bulldog trail run, some people had a hard time with it but everyone made it. Its a nice drive.

The hike to Bulldog Canyon overlook is nice (Meridian north to the trailhead.) 1.5 miles out then back. The first mile is easy the last .5 is a little steep but not bad. Views are great. You can also grab the Pass mountain loop trail (8 miles) from the same parking lot. If you don't want to do 8 miles just take the trail north (counter clockwise) to the pass mountain saddle. Great views. That is 3-4 miles out and back. The parking lot fills up on the weekends. I live a few miles as the crow fly from there.

First Water trail head is on Apache Trail just past Lost Dutchman State Park. There are a few trails there we do them as out and back because they are so long. We are having rain this week so should be water in some of the washes.

Apache Trail at Fish Creek is closed and will be for a long time due to landslides after a big rain a few months after the fire. We haven't been out to see the fire damage yet, one night we could see the flames from our house.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="Save Apache Trail SR88. Help get this short segment of historical road reopened! - YouTube" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Take 60 to Globe and then north on 188, then take 288 (Young Highway) You will get into some big pines. It is a Scenic Byway called From the Desert to the Tall Pines. You can grab lunch in Young at Antlers, I've never been but I hear it's good. If you continue north you will come out at 260 up on the rim, hang a left and head into Payson. It's a long day if you go all the way though Payson, but you can go to the pines and turn around when ready. Bring a lunch. You probably won't see many people out that way. This is our go to route to see snow so check the weather before heading out. Last year my daughter and I went up there on a snow day and turned around when the snow was half way up our Jeep grill. We top off with gas in Globe.

Todd