Hiker Trailer - anyone have experience with them? (Now Buildout)

• HTML tutorial

JLW82

Rank II

Enthusiast I

St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana, United States
First Name
JUSTIN
Last Name
WILLIAMS
Member #

Any one else have any info on these trailers ? Going Saturday to look at having one built , any feed back is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I picked mine up on 9/1/23 and have about 45 days & 4,000 miles on it. I got a 5x10 Mid-Range XL with a rooftop a/c & Fridge box. I love mine!

Attachments

Reactions: DaveInCO and caver6

vincenzo

Rank I

Enthusiast I

reno nv
The trailing arms (air bags) need a heim joint to allow for better flex. The current bushings bind when one side of the axle droops and the other side rises. My offroad version has not yet failed due to binding…. may prove to be a non-issue. Overall it’s a really nice unit. Canvas sucks. The Propex is really nice but NOT for deep water crossings. Splurge on the OEM roof racks for solar and traction boards. Extremely small for 2 people - better for 1 person. You’ll like it - go for it.

Lead Dog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lake Havasu City, Arizona, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Clary
Member #

The trailing arms (air bags) need a heim joint to allow for better flex. The current bushings bind when one side of the axle droops and the other side rises. My offroad version has not yet failed due to binding…. may prove to be a non-issue. Overall it’s a really nice unit. Canvas sucks. The Propex is really nice but NOT for deep water crossings. Splurge on the OEM roof racks for solar and traction boards. Extremely small for 2 people - better for 1 person. You’ll like it - go for it.
Run it! It works great the flex is in the Max Coupler Hitch, the straight axle works perfectly on the Big Joints!

Reactions: caver6

vincenzo

Rank I

Enthusiast I

reno nv
Yeah…. it bounces left then right (roll) about the coupler axis because the axle is not allowed to flex. The whole point of a suspension is to soak up the bumps.

caver6

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

North Florida
First Name
Celia
Last Name
Evesque
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
My 2018 5x9 EOR (which is plenty big for 2, the 5x8 would be small for sure, YMMV) is still doing very well. I do have the electric brakes and the Lock 'N Roll hitch (I think they use a similar one but not same name now) and that has saved my bacon more than a few times. I did replace the AGM battery for a LiFePO and that makes the weight distribution better. I do NOT tow with full water tank, I wait until the last possible minute to load that water... Other additions, a diesel heater (chinese not the fancy super expensive one) that works very well and two 100w CIGS panels on the roof to keep that battery up and charged. I'm probably going to get her new tires this summer. The ones on it are looking like they want to be recycled...LOL.
I love my EOR and it did not break the piggy bank. There are lots of videos on YouTube if you're curious as to what models and options you can get right off the bat, or all the mods that owners have come up with. Like someone already said, highly customizable.
Happy trails!!

Reactions: Joeguyzxj and JLW82

Lead Dog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lake Havasu City, Arizona, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Clary
Member #

Yeah…. it bounces left then right (roll) about the coupler axis because the axle is not allowed to flex. The whole point of a suspension is to soak up the bumps.
It needs the rubber grommet style bushing to resist the vibration of the rough road to protect the trailer from vibrations. Just changing one end of a solid mounted trailing arm wont let it twist unless you put a Heim on both ends! It was designed in simplistic manner to make it easily maintainable! Not over engineered.