High Density Roof Top Tent Mattress

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast I

Hey everyone! I’ve had my roof top tent mattress for about 2 years now and I love it! My only complaint is the mattress iT comes with. It’s not a terrible mattress but I am a bigger guy, 6’2” and 220 lbs, so if I sleep on my side my shoulders and hips completely compress the pad. I have put a 2” memory foam topper, which has helped, but makes the tent hard to close. What I want to do is replace the stock pad with a higher density foam, with a thinner memory foam topper. However I am unsure of a good foam, or where to get it. Has anyone done this with their RTT, who could impart some knowledge? Thanks in advance!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'm in the same boat. I'm running REI's version of a Therm-O-Rest on top of my foam mattress. That works well but, I wish it was wider. Normal air mattress's don't have the insulating qualities I need so their out. I would like to see what others suggest here also.

Enthusiast I

I'm in the same boat. I'm running REI's version of a Therm-O-Rest on top of my foam mattress. That works well but, I wish it was wider. Normal air mattress's don't have the insulating qualities I need so their out. I would like to see what others suggest here also.
Yeah I have seen that done before. I think I would rather try an find a denser foam, but if it doesn’t work out I will have to try it.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Awesome! Thank you! What kind of foam did you use?
You really have to look at the different options and decide for yourself. It depends on how much $$ you want to spend. I have had a 2" latex layer plus dense foam underneath. I have done memory foam and dense foam. Latex is cooler but a lot more expensive. There are descriptions for all of the foam types they offer.

Reactions: Amber Wright

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Hey everyone! I’ve had my roof top tent mattress for about 2 years now and I love it! My only complaint is the mattress iT comes with. It’s not a terrible mattress but I am a bigger guy, 6’2” and 220 lbs, so if I sleep on my side my shoulders and hips completely compress the pad. I have put a 2” memory foam topper, which has helped, but makes the tent hard to close. What I want to do is replace the stock pad with a higher density foam, with a thinner memory foam topper. However I am unsure of a good foam, or where to get it. Has anyone done this with their RTT, who could impart some knowledge? Thanks in advance!
I just want to offer what I use as a place to start. I have a double Cabelas, air mattress, like a Therm-O-Rest. I have used it lots over a ten year period. It is about the same size as a double bed. 2-3” thick. I am 6’ and 235 lbs. and sleep on my side a lot. This is a little bulky to roll up between using, but if you leave in you RTT, I would think it would be great, if you have the room! Vance.

Reactions: smritte

Enthusiast I

You really have to look at the different options and decide for yourself. It depends on how much $$ you want to spend. I have had a 2" latex layer plus dense foam underneath. I have done memory foam and dense foam. Latex is cooler but a lot more expensive. There are descriptions for all of the foam types they offer.
Ok! I will check it out! Thanks for your help!

Reactions: 1Louder

az4x4taco

Rank 0

Contributor I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Foambymail.com !!!!

You can build a custom mattress with a cover. I have done this 3 times for various setups.
So I was just researching replacing my mattress and found this thread, just curious if you know which mattress style you went with? We don't want it too thick to be hard to close, but want it as thick as possible. Just curious how it's worked for you. Thanks

CCCVagabond

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Coal Creek Canyon, Colorado
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Leistikow
Member #

So what kind of price did you get? Going to give them a call tomorrow, as we just spent the weekend on a standard tepui mat... quite horrible.

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
We use an anti condensation mat under our mattress, not that it adds comfort to the mattress. But it does keep mattress dry. It is actually stuck to the floor with double sided outdoor tape to keep it secure.We also use a foam topper too, its only a 1.25 inch topper. It works for me quite well. We also use a really thick sleeping bag too.

Geisterbild

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bellingham, MA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Cunniff
Member #

So what kind of price did you get? Going to give them a call tomorrow, as we just spent the weekend on a standard tepui mat... quite horrible.
This was my quote from foambymail.com, for a AluCab RTT. The only thing that stopped me from ordering was their mattress covers are not machine washable. I won't realistically wash that thing by hand, so I held off. They can provide samples (12" x 12" x 4") for $13.00 each + $12.99 for shipping. I think this will be something I will invest in next season.

Lux Regular 2"
1 pc. 82” x 51” x 2” = $72.02​
Shipping Charges = $12.99 (within the contiguous U.S.)​
Order Total = $85.01

Lux regular 3"
1 pc. 82” x 51” x 3” = $108.03​
Shipping Charges = Free (orders over $75.00 within the contiguous U.S.)​
Order Total = $108.03

Hope that helps some.

CCCVagabond

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Coal Creek Canyon, Colorado
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Leistikow
Member #

Thanks! We just got back from a trip and just put a Costco 3 inch super soft foam on top and it did ok... half way through the trip, back was starting to hurt ( foam was too soft, so sank to the floor) still thinking of a more permanent solution. So something like this may work...