High Density Roof Top Tent Mattress

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Contributor I

Hey everyone! I’ve had my roof top tent mattress for about 2 years now and I love it! My only complaint is the mattress iT comes with. It’s not a terrible mattress but I am a bigger guy, 6’2” and 220 lbs, so if I sleep on my side my shoulders and hips completely compress the pad. I have put a 2” memory foam topper, which has helped, but makes the tent hard to close. What I want to do is replace the stock pad with a higher density foam, with a thinner memory foam topper. However I am unsure of a good foam, or where to get it. Has anyone done this with their RTT, who could impart some knowledge? Thanks in advance!

smritte

Rank VI

Traveler I

Ontario California
Member #

Ham Callsign
KO6BI
I'm in the same boat. I'm running REI's version of a Therm-O-Rest on top of my foam mattress. That works well but, I wish it was wider. Normal air mattress's don't have the insulating qualities I need so their out. I would like to see what others suggest here also.

Contributor I

I'm in the same boat. I'm running REI's version of a Therm-O-Rest on top of my foam mattress. That works well but, I wish it was wider. Normal air mattress's don't have the insulating qualities I need so their out. I would like to see what others suggest here also.
Yeah I have seen that done before. I think I would rather try an find a denser foam, but if it doesn’t work out I will have to try it.

1Louder

Rank VI

Advocate I

AZ
Member #

Ham Callsign
K1LDR
Foambymail.com !!!!

You can build a custom mattress with a cover. I have done this 3 times for various setups.

1Louder

Rank VI

Advocate I

AZ
Member #

Ham Callsign
K1LDR
Awesome! Thank you! What kind of foam did you use?
You really have to look at the different options and decide for yourself. It depends on how much $$ you want to spend. I have had a 2" latex layer plus dense foam underneath. I have done memory foam and dense foam. Latex is cooler but a lot more expensive. There are descriptions for all of the foam types they offer.

4wheelspulling

NorthWest Region Member Represetative
Staff member

Traveler I

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Hey everyone! I’ve had my roof top tent mattress for about 2 years now and I love it! My only complaint is the mattress iT comes with. It’s not a terrible mattress but I am a bigger guy, 6’2” and 220 lbs, so if I sleep on my side my shoulders and hips completely compress the pad. I have put a 2” memory foam topper, which has helped, but makes the tent hard to close. What I want to do is replace the stock pad with a higher density foam, with a thinner memory foam topper. However I am unsure of a good foam, or where to get it. Has anyone done this with their RTT, who could impart some knowledge? Thanks in advance!
I just want to offer what I use as a place to start. I have a double Cabelas, air mattress, like a Therm-O-Rest. I have used it lots over a ten year period. It is about the same size as a double bed. 2-3” thick. I am 6’ and 235 lbs. and sleep on my side a lot. This is a little bulky to roll up between using, but if you leave in you RTT, I would think it would be great, if you have the room! Vance.

Reactions: smritte

Contributor I

You really have to look at the different options and decide for yourself. It depends on how much $$ you want to spend. I have had a 2" latex layer plus dense foam underneath. I have done memory foam and dense foam. Latex is cooler but a lot more expensive. There are descriptions for all of the foam types they offer.
Ok! I will check it out! Thanks for your help!

Reactions: 1Louder