Hi-Lift Jack, shovel and axe

• HTML tutorial

mikereg

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

Hi all! So I'm just starting to work on making the 4R off-roadable to an extent. Can anyone recommend brands for the three things listed up top? Also, I have the crossbars, and I wanted to know if there's gear out there to attach the three things to the cross bars, without the need of a roof rack. Let me know! Any info is highly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Hi-Lift: Hi-Lift brand, none other.

Shovel: Krazy Beaver

Axe: I'm partial to Estwing but there's a big to-do on the internet about that. Do your own research but the first two are no-brainers

If you don't mind drilling some holes in your x-bars you could mount quick fists for everything.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I can't tell from your avatar pic but if you don't have a good place to jack from the Hi-Lift is near useless. (Aftermarket bumpers/sliders/etc...). And exhaust jack might be an better option. (And generally safer anyway)

I just carry a standard short handle true temper spade and a Fiskars X-15 axe.

Personally I don't trust the Quick Fists for much. Especially a Hi-Lift. Will it hold in an accident? Mine is bolted down to my tire carrier. I use the quick fists to hold my shovel but also have a secondary system in place to prevent any rattles.

mikereg

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

I can't tell from your avatar pic but if you don't have a good place to jack from the Hi-Lift is near useless. (Aftermarket bumpers/sliders/etc...). And exhaust jack might be an better option. (And generally safer anyway)

I just carry a standard short handle true temper spade and a Fiskars X-15 axe.

Personally I don't trust the Quick Fists for much. Especially a Hi-Lift. Will it hold in an accident? Mine is bolted down to my tire carrier. I use the quick fists to hold my shovel but also have a secondary system in place to prevent any rattles.
Thanks for your suggestions! So I'm actually waiting on my sliders to be delivered currently. I'm taking the time to gear up with things like a jack as well. Like I said, all suggestions matter, so thanks for taking the time.

mikereg

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

Also, I found good mounts for the xbars, and I'm planning to work out a nice bolted mount set up for the hi-lift with them. I was thinking the same thing about the Quick Fists.

mikereg

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

I have a mount for my Hi-Lift on the side of my JKU but struggled with the other items. Finally decided to use a lockable Pelican case to keep my other items out of the weather.View attachment 3456

This rides on the back of my roof rack. Has a Pull-pal, bow saw, axe, D-handle shovel, machete, small tree strap, and room for other small stuff.
I have seen those side mounts! I think they're pretty cool, for people that own a JKU.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

I have a mount for my Hi-Lift on the side of my JKU but struggled with the other items. Finally decided to use a lockable Pelican case to keep my other items out of the weather.View attachment 3456

This rides on the back of my roof rack. Has a Pull-pal, bow saw, axe, D-handle shovel, machete, small tree strap, and room for other small stuff.
Thats a good idea...easier to pull off and put away when you get home too...

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to add one note: the Wheel Mate actually works pretty well! It lifts from the wheel spokes and is safer than sliders because it can't slip and you don't have to decompress the suspension.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

the Wheel Mate actually works pretty well! It lifts from the wheel spokes and is safer than sliders because it can't slip and you don't have to decompress the suspension.
But you can't change to tire if your jacking from it.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

O
But you can't change to tire if your jacking from it.
Obviously, you'd carry a jack stand to throw under that axle if you were planning on using it to change tires :) . Or, use the factory bottle jack in that specific instance.

Honestly, with or without sliders, I would probay prefer that method anyways for the increased safety.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Yup. That's part of your pre-trip planning. Otherwise you'll have 5 rigs all carrying a Hi-Lift and no axle stand.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Once I get my welding setup from home I am actually planning on building myself a compact jack stand that I can always pack along. I have a couple ideas to store it below the vehicle near the spare since I realistically wouldn't use it that much.

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

I'm building a similar kit with a Hardigg box, but I'm having second thoughts due to the overall weight of it on the roof. The empty box is 20#. If I store my Hi-Lift and recovery items in it the weight adds up quickly.

Have you weighed yours when full?

caleath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cant add too much..but Fiskars ax and they make shovels now too...best thing life time warranty. I bought one will be trying it out soon.