Hi-Lift Jack Security

• HTML tutorial

Rob K

Rank II

Advocate II

Got a new Hi-Lift jack that just came in for Christmas! I'll be working out a custom mount on my tire carrier soon. I'll try to put the project up in the 'Do it yourself' thread.
This leads me to ask how you guys/gals secure your Hi-Lift when its mounted in spots it might get swiped otherwise? I'll probably work a master-lock of some-kind into the mount somehow but I just wanted to know what else was working out there.

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I run a padlock through the hi-lift bracket on my bumper and the hi-lift jack. The padlock is made by Bolt. They are designed to be programmed to work with your ignition key so you don't have another key to keep up with.

IMG_3062.JPG

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

I used a high quality cable lock system, fed thru the base plate, jack head, beam and mount. By securing it this way no one could unbolt the base and slide off the head assembly. Ron

Reactions: bsp_taco

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I used a high quality cable lock system, fed thru the base plate, jack head, beam and mount. By securing it this way no one could unbolt the base and slide off the head assembly. Ron
Same here. I have a cable combination bike lock. I did have to grind the sides down a bit to get it to fit through the jack portion though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I just use a couple pipe clamps with a bolt welded to them. The Standard is sandwiched between some old poly shock bushings to keep the rattling at a minimum. In the driver side door pocket, there is a small bag of tools that see the most use. That includes a 3/4" wrench to get the nuts off for the Hi-Lift. Aside from the large size of the official Hi-Lift clamps, they are just turn knobs, so anyone can have quick access. The nuts are a little more of a determent, but as usual, if someone wants some bad enough, they'll find a way to get it.

The issue I have with padlocks that sit outside is, over time they just get grime and water in them and can become difficult to unlock when you need them. I have 4 small Master locks to secure the Maxtrax (way more expensive to replace those than the Hi-Lift) on the roof rack. Two of them open and close just fine. Of the other two, one took 10 minutes of jiggling with the key to open, the other isn't unlocking at all. We just had a day of light rain yesterday, so today I'm going to squirt silicone spray in all of them, and hope that last one frees up.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Of the other two, one took 10 minutes of jiggling with the key to open, the other isn't unlocking at all. We just had a day of light rain yesterday, so today I'm going to squirt silicone spray in all of them, and hope that last one frees up.

I've had locks on my trailer that get hard to open, as well as keyed door locks that get hard to use, so keep a couple tubes of Graphite powder and every once in awhile squirt that into hasp openings or key slots, sometimes right along the edge of a key before inserting, then work it back and forth. Works wonders.

As for security and keeping locks tight to the weather, I'm digging the Bolt line of products as mentioned above by @soonersfan; padlocks, hitch locks, and cable locks (just bought a six foot cable with Bolt lock) that allow you to key the lock to your ignition key. The fewer keys I have to keep on my ring, the better. A lot of their products have a rubber lid that covers the key slot.

I had great luck with two of them on my trailer hitch over many thousands of miles and exposure to all sorts of weather. You can find 'em on Amazon or at trailer places, sometimes at Tractor Supply and auto parts places. Here's their website: https://www.boltlock.com/

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Hey thanks @Road! I have a tube of graphite powder too. I've only used it on the back door of the garage, but will try it out on the locks instead of the silicone spray this time.

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey thanks @Road! I have a tube of graphite powder too. I've only used it on the back door of the garage, but will try it out on the locks instead of the silicone spray this time.
Ayuh, my pleasure. Can't say if WD-4o does, but seems like some sprays attract dirt and grit, especially if any excess is not wiped off.

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

My experience is that WD-40 is a great dirt and dust collector. Silicone spray isn't as bad. I use it all the time on my door hinges.

Rob K

Rank II

Advocate II

Got a chance to fab up my Hi-Lift mount since posting this. This is what i decided to go with, now i just probably plan on drilling a hole through the bracket and attaching a bike lock or some type of cable lock.IMG_1069.jpg IMG_1067.jpg

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Mine is bolted on the swing arm with a lug nut. I figure a bolt cutter and lug wrench are about the same size for a would be thief to carry.

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

I made a security rope from 3 feet of 1/4" , plastic sleeved steel cable, crimping sleeves and a small padlock. The cable loops through the tire carrier.

It's basically good for preventing an opportunistic grab and run situation. Won't stop bolt cutters

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I use locks and cables but I realize a good thief can defeat those in seconds. I'm mounting my Hi-Lift, ax and shovel to the front of my box with quick fist mounts. Bed cover, locking tailgate and a swing out carrier keeps most all prying eyes out of the bed.