Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austria
First Name
Anton
Last Name
Hofmann
Member #

I have a hilift on my rig too but rarely use it for lifting, a standard jack is way more safe compared to a hilift, but sometimes a standard jack won't do the job.
I use the hilift mostly as a winch and to get the tires from its rims (i still prefer tubed tires) and all kinds of bending.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I think for most applications, a 12 ton bottle jack is a better choice. It's very compact, can lift far more weight, and is far safer and easier to use in most cases. Having said that, a Hi-lift jack can do a few tricks a bottle jack can't, such as manual winching, but only if you have a bunch of other accessories for it. Best bang for your buck is probably a 12 ton bottle jack and a 4x6 piece of wood.
For changing tires, sure.

But, 8" of travel isn't going to do much good if you need to lift the frame 18" to get enough tire clearance to "jack and pack" out of a bad situation. And, if you are stuck to the frame in mud, a hi-lift can still easily be wedged under a bumper or slider (or, better yet, hooked to a wheel with a lift-mate), whereas it is going to take a bit of digging to get a bottle jack under there.

Reactions: Homeguy

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

For changing tires, sure.

But, 8" of travel isn't going to do much good if you need to lift the frame 18" to get enough tire clearance to "jack and pack" out of a bad situation. And, if you are stuck to the frame in mud, a hi-lift can still easily be wedged under a bumper or slider (or, better yet, hooked to a wheel with a lift-mate), whereas it is going to take a bit of digging to get a bottle jack under there.
Depends on what you're up to with your vehicle, as you mention. I would avoid mud that deep lol But yes, if you're going into that sort of stuff, Hi-lift is your friend. Pick the right tool for the particular job.

Reactions: Lindenwood

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Put me down as another who appreciates the Hi-Lift for its versatility. However, I don't carry one on my Jeep. A bottle jack makes more sense for me. But then again, I don't much play in the mud.

Where I have most appreciated my Hi-Lift has been breaking beads on tires and pulling fence posts out of the ground.

It is a useful tool. But I think some folks carry them around just so they can look like they might know how to do something useful.

Robert Fullen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kerrville, Tx
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Fullen
Member #

Service Branch
None
I think it's a tool like any other , every one has a box full, some you use daily , some you use once a year but the fact is its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it! I have always carried one and it has been a lifesaver to me! Just my 2 cents!

Reactions: fastdiablo