Hi from the SF Bay Area

• HTML tutorial

lukester

Rank 0

Contributor I

SF Bay
Hi all,

I stumbled on this site today while researching on tents. My family and I are always up and about exploring new things. We have 2 trucks, a land cruiser and a tundra to take us to our adventures and a travel trailer but would like to get more into exploring places where not a lot would venture. Was on the fence on an RTT, a gazelle and a shiftpod. We chose a ground tent as we would not want to break camp everyday to go around. Not sure if that is a sound decision but here to learn more. Now trying to see if it would be better to get away from air matresses and get disc-o-bed bunk beds for the ground tent.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hi all,

I stumbled on this site today while researching on tents. My family and I are always up and about exploring new things. We have 2 trucks, a land cruiser and a tundra to take us to our adventures and a travel trailer but would like to get more into exploring places where not a lot would venture. Was on the fence on an RTT, a gazelle and a shiftpod. We chose a ground tent as we would not want to break camp everyday to go around. Not sure if that is a sound decision but here to learn more. Now trying to see if it would be better to get away from air matresses and get disc-o-bed bunk beds for the ground tent.
View attachment 97473View attachment 97474
Hello and welcome to the OB crew...great looking Toys. Look forward to seeing your build and your adventures.

Thomas B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GUK
Hi there! Just joined today as well from the Bay Area (Santa Clara).

I started with a ground tent and used the disc-o-beds for my kids. They loved them, but they are heavy and a little work to put together. My wife and I used an air mattress (Exped MegaMat). Extremely comfortable and durable! One thing to consider with the disc-o-bed is the temperature. The MegaMat is a great insulator against the cold ground. With the disc-o-bed, I always had to bring extra blankets for the kids since there was no insulation underneath them. Only real negative with the MegaMat is packing it up. Getting all the air out to roll it up can be a workout! If you’ve got an electric pump, it makes it much easier to pull all the air out. Inflation is super easy. It basically inflates on its own.

We’ve since moved into an RTT as we’ve changed our camping style and are more into exploring and changing campsites everyday. But we still use our ground tent when we know we’re going to be in the same spot for a few days.

Reactions: Narbob

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Hi all,

Welcome to Overland Bound!
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members.

Overland Bound Meetups

https://www.overlandbouforums/forums/overland-trip-nd.com/

If you have any questions message me, your Regional Director, @Narbob, or your Member Representative,@Magic Mike. We are here to help.

Overland Bound Regions!

Thomas B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GUK
Reactions: Narbob

Thomas B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GUK
welcome! I'm in the Santa Cruz Mountains (Boulder Creek). Hope to see you out there!
Thanks! Spent a lot of time in the Santa Cruz Mountains with my motorcycle exploring all the different roads. Beautiful place to be!

BCJohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
Member #

That's how I ended up here. Lots of years riding motorcycles in the hills... when it came time to leave Silicon Valley - this was the right place for us. My commute to work is definitely world class!

Reactions: Thomas B

Jeepinit

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Mateo, CA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Bright
Member #

Hi all,

Welcome! I’m in the SF Bay Area as well!! Hope to see you around!

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Hi all,

Good day, and welcome to Overland Bound. Like @Narbob said if you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me.