Lazerrred

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Foss
Hi all, happened across this forum from some photos of an interesting “hidden” winch install on an Xterra as I am in the process of trying to fab up the same to mine and thought it may be a great place to expand on what I might be missing out on in off road community in the SE.
I grew up in coastal central California where there was always another canyon, or riverbed to explore, whereas seems not so much here in SC. Hopefully I can find some interesting information on adventuresome areas and like minded folks in the SE.
Cheers

2014 Nissan Xterra

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Hi Joe, welcome to the community. There's some off road around, mostly upstate, you just have to look a little harder. Lots in Western North Carolina and NE Georgia. I found and interesting place a while back down in the Pee Dee area. Woodbury Game Mgt Area. Not for the faint of heart. Lots of swamp, bugs, hogs, a few bears, along with the deer, turkey, fish, and snakes. But 26,000 approx. acres of public land al dirt roads, no traffic. Don't go in high water conditions btw.

Reactions: Lazerrred

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Hey Joe. Welcome to Overland Bound. I am also somewhat partial to the western states but over the last year I (as many others) have found that our own backyard can have many hidden treasures. The wealth of experience on these forums will, I am sure, help you find wonderful nearby destinations.

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Welcome to the OB family Joe. Glad to have you here with us. There is a wealth of knowledge here.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi all, happened across this forum from some photos of an interesting “hidden” winch install on an Xterra as I am in the process of trying to fab up the same to mine and thought it may be a great place to expand on what I might be missing out on in off road community in the SE.
I grew up in coastal central California where there was always another canyon, or riverbed to explore, whereas seems not so much here in SC. Hopefully I can find some interesting information on adventuresome areas and like minded folks in the SE.
Cheers

2014 Nissan Xterra
Welcome To Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @NC-Trooper
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Lazerrred

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Foss
Hi Joe, welcome to the community. There's some off road around, mostly upstate, you just have to look a little harder. Lots in Western North Carolina and NE Georgia. I found and interesting place a while back down in the Pee Dee area. Woodbury Game Mgt Area. Not for the faint of heart. Lots of swamp, bugs, hogs, a few bears, along with the deer, turkey, fish, and snakes. But 26,000 approx. acres of public land al dirt roads, no traffic. Don't go in high water conditions btw.
I’m somewhat familiar with upstate as I was an avid skier frequenting the Boone area & Slaylyfork West Virginia. But found it was actually more bang for the buck to go West on PKG deals.However, the Woodbury GM area sounds very interesting. Thanks so much as I will be checking it out as I’m very close to the big muddy Pee Dee but I guess always under the impression most of the Pee Dee river swamp were leased by hunting clubs. Thank you sir

Reactions: FishinCrzy

Lazerrred

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Foss
@ Fishincrazy, DuuhHuuh, “Brittons neck area” (FACEPALM). Spent the night with a buddy on Snow Island lost in the sleet and snow one night. LOL, Went in and did not check on the rise, (dumb) no compass, (dumb) again, ect. Duck hunting, went to leave, all low areas flooding fast & tried walking around & got turned around. (Bad idea) getting pitch black dark quick. Lost in an instant, started looking for high ground & big tree or laydown if needed, LOL, to try and make camp. Could hear the hogs close so guessed It was as high as it was going to get. Got fire going in the wet sleet & snow. Miserable night !! First light, heard a boat, marked a beeline and waded, swam, walked that beeline. Came out within 20 yards of our little 12ft jonboat. What a wonderful sight !!! Gosh, that was a loooong time ago. Young & Dumb.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Check out NE Ga too. Especially Warwoman WMA. Lots of FS roads and some pretty good dispersed camping but it's not on the map. Part ofthe Ge
@ Fishincrazy, DuuhHuuh, “Brittons neck area” (FACEPALM). Spent the night with a buddy on Snow Island lost in the sleet and snow one night. LOL, Went in and did not check on the rise, (dumb) no compass, (dumb) again, ect. Duck hunting, went to leave, all low areas flooding fast & tried walking around & got turned around. (Bad idea) getting pitch black dark quick. Lost in an instant, started looking for high ground & big tree or laydown if needed, LOL, to try and make camp. Could hear the hogs close so guessed It was as high as it was going to get. Got fire going in the wet sleet & snow. Miserable night !! First light, heard a boat, marked a beeline and waded, swam, walked that beeline. Came out within 20 yards of our little 12ft jonboat. What a wonderful sight !!! Gosh, that was a loooong time ago. Young & Dumb.
Definitely not a place to get lost. My son is in there all the time and knows it well. He also has the GPS on his phone and would recommend if you go far on foot. He is a big duck, deer, turkey, etc. He works at Murrells Inlet Outpost. He is the reason I knew about it. It could be an intimidating area for someone not used to that type terrain. I want to explore it more...in the cool season!