Hi Everyone! New advice for a Newbie with a Subie?

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Chino, CA, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Barr
Hello,
I'm excited to be a part of this overland community, and to learn as much as I can. My wife and I have done a little ground camping a coupe of times, but have decided we absolutely want to get more into overlanding and follow our adventurous spirit! However, we are brand new at this, and have a lot to learn.

We're driving a new 2020 Subaru Outback, and we are excitingly awaiting arrival late spring of our new Go Fast Campers SUPERLITE RTT!! Meanwhile, we're collecting coming gear, and I'm ready to purchase a roof rack. From doing my homework, it seems like the Thule Evo Wingbar rack system is perhaps the preferred Subaru way to go, which will clamp to my raised factory rails. My tent is 50" w /90"l, weighing 80lbs. My questions are the following:
- (Forgive my ignorance) The Thule Rack supports 220lbs dynamic...does this cancel out/supercede the factory crossbar 150lbs weight limit?

- I want to purchase the Thule Hideaway Awning, and have room to attach future accessories (weight considered)...would a 53" Wingbar be enough, or should I go the max 60"??

I do plan on leaving the rack on at all times, just removing the tent, since it's only 80lbs. I don't want my vehicle to look silly with perhaps too much overhang when not carrying anything?

I welcome all suggestions!! I'll post this under the gear thread as well.
Looking forward to learning from you all!
Thank you,

Jesse, Driftwood Saddleback (Band Duo w/ wife)

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello,
I'm excited to be a part of this overland community, and to learn as much as I can. My wife and I have done a little ground camping a coupe of times, but have decided we absolutely want to get more into overlanding and follow our adventurous spirit! However, we are brand new at this, and have a lot to learn.

We're driving a new 2020 Subaru Outback, and we are excitingly awaiting arrival late spring of our new Go Fast Campers SUPERLITE RTT!! Meanwhile, we're collecting coming gear, and I'm ready to purchase a roof rack. From doing my homework, it seems like the Thule Evo Wingbar rack system is perhaps the preferred Subaru way to go, which will clamp to my raised factory rails. My tent is 50" w /90"l, weighing 80lbs. My questions are the following:
- (Forgive my ignorance) The Thule Rack supports 220lbs dynamic...does this cancel out/supercede the factory crossbar 150lbs weight limit?

- I want to purchase the Thule Hideaway Awning, and have room to attach future accessories (weight considered)...would a 53" Wingbar be enough, or should I go the max 60"??

I do plan on leaving the rack on at all times, just removing the tent, since it's only 80lbs. I don't want my vehicle to look silly with perhaps too much overhang when not carrying anything?

I welcome all suggestions!! I'll post this under the gear thread as well.
Looking forward to learning from you all!
Thank you,

Jesse, Driftwood Saddleback (Band Duo w/ wife)
Welcome to Overland Bound Jesse
Don't hesitate to contact your Regional Director @Narbob for help or information. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Barclay (LA) @FrankRoams (OC/SD) @Dominic OB0158 (Inland Empire) You can ask your questions under lots of pages to get more traction; OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY,
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses

Here are some pages to ask your questions in order to get better traction;

Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

wvuoutback

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

West Virginia
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Long
Member #

Generally you're supposed to go by the max load the vehicle manufacturer reccomends. I'm happy to see so many Subaru builds coming to OB. Best!

Edit: I am unsure if there is a discrepancy between what the rails and crossbars are rated to handle. My recommendation is to use your best judgment.

SoftRoader

Rank 0

Traveler I

The limiting factor with roof racks are the cross bars which are 150lbs combined. If you're going to continue to use the crossbars, then I suggest getting the lightest rack or box you can because that weight is counted towards the 150lb limit. My roof basket is 33lbs, it was the lightest I could find (Rola brand). I mainly use the stow-a-way cargo box instead of putting the roof basket on. You should replace the rear springs with rallitek or similar. The rear springs are too soft. For reference, I have an 17 OB 2.5 and 3 young kids. Using the roof basket and stow a way we get 22mpg across country. With just the stowaway we get 27-28mpg. If you plan on doing any off road you can go with a 2in lift. As far as tires go, we use the BFG Advantage sport LT and they are fantastic! Excellent wet traction and they hold up to the abuse of overloading the OB. I have low upgrade to an LR3 to carry all our camping gear and a week's worth of provisions. Before the LR3, we would max out the OB with 140lbs on the roof, 300 on the hitch, 250 in the cargo area, 200lbs worth of kids, 320lbs worth of adults, and a full tank of gas! Good Luck!

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I will make a reccomendation: don't waste too much on a high end roof rack for a RTT.
Go get craigslist Yakima Roundbars for 1/10th of the cost. You cant see them under the tent, and steel round bars are a lot stronger than the aluminum ones. The length of the bar is going to be something you want to work with, and you can cut round bars to size. With my RTT on a crosstrek I went with 52" that was plenty of room for the rtt, and about 10" of extra space for a custom shelf/awning bracket. On the shelf, next to the rtt(drivers side)behind the awning, I have enough room for 2 jerry cans, or 2 camp chairs and table etc....
IMG_20200708_122404.jpgIMG_20200708_122407.jpg

Traveler I

Chino, CA, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Barr
Thanks for the tips/ideas everyone! I've learned a lot in a couple weeks now, most importantly... Subaru changed the factory rails bars on the 2020! Yakima jetstream bars were recommended to me by a rack dealer...we looked them up, and they haven't made anything yet for the 2020! Other brands haven't either.

I learned that Prinsu will work and seems to be a popular option. Looks super clean, but installation looks pretty gnarly, tearing down the headliner. Not sure it will ever fit the same again if I go that route. I saw a video of a frontrunner slimline II, which appeared to be mounted on the Outback factory rails, but the model year was not disclosed. I really like the look of the Frontrunner...very low profile, and lots of attachment/accessory options.

I found another rack dealer, explained my situation, and they do custom, tailor-fit racks. They think they can do something for me like the Frontrunner, but will likely remove the factory rails. Sounds good to me at this point! I'm waiting on a call back to schedule an appointment. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks again for the help and suggestions!

Jesse

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
I have a 2017 Outback with a CVT RTT, it weighs 125 lbs. I was told by CVT they did not recommend their tent be used on the crossbars. Dynamic load with wind during driving conditions can overload the crossbars. I looked and found that Front Runner made a rack for mine that bolted where the existing tie down brackets are located. It was easy to install and no need to even get inside the car, bolted right up. Has workers great and I love it. DOWNSIDE is $$$$$$, it's expensive. Not sure if they make one for the newer models. Link in my signature leads to my build. I have traveled many miles with he RTT attached and love it. The rack and RTT has even made it to the Arctic Circle and the Arctic Ocean in 2019.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
Thanks for the tips/ideas everyone! I've learned a lot in a couple weeks now, most importantly... Subaru changed the factory rails bars on the 2020! Yakima jetstream bars were recommended to me by a rack dealer...we looked them up, and they haven't made anything yet for the 2020! Other brands haven't either.

I learned that Prinsu will work and seems to be a popular option. Looks super clean, but installation looks pretty gnarly, tearing down the headliner. Not sure it will ever fit the same again if I go that route. I saw a video of a frontrunner slimline II, which appeared to be mounted on the Outback factory rails, but the model year was not disclosed. I really like the look of the Frontrunner...very low profile, and lots of attachment/accessory options.

I found another rack dealer, explained my situation, and they do custom, tailor-fit racks. They think they can do something for me like the Frontrunner, but will likely remove the factory rails. Sounds good to me at this point! I'm waiting on a call back to schedule an appointment. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks again for the help and suggestions!

Jesse
Ouch, youre right. My brother is running a rhino rack on his 2020 outback on factory rails, if you like that flat top look.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
How difficult was the headliner to put back up? I love the rack.