Jaxman

Rank 0

Traveler I

Pennsylvania Furnace, PA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Jaxman
But you can help us all NOT be lost.
Please don’t miss the point...........getting lost is the object........you only find your way once you become unlost.......and if you ever travel with me always remember this......I always know where I am but I might not know where I am at.......PK

utherjorge

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Warren, PA
Member #

I'll try again to get the tstat in, so I can see if that will do anything, but the coolant is going somewhere...and it's not cooling in any case, so I have to get this sorted out so I don't end up with a big red lawn ornament.

Jaxman

Rank 0

Traveler I

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Jaxman
Please don’t miss the point...........getting lost is the object........you only find your way once you become unlost.......and if you ever travel with me always remember this......I always know where I am but I might not know where I am at.......PK
Yep I can help.......But at some point we will all be wondering don't you know

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Fun fact is that my Rocky did not HAVE a thermostat in it. We have a new and significant concern; if it didn't have one...why did it overheat so fast? Now we're looking at a possible water pump problem. The radiator has good flow...so if it's not the water pump, with a new head and good flow, I'm out of ideas.
Heater core? If the h2o pump is ok, you can bypass the heater core to be sure flow is ok too. Is the head gasket the correct one? And installed the right side up with the front at the front? Could have a coolant flow hole blocked off. I don't want to make it sound like you don't know what you're doing. I'm just offering possibilities. Also, when I gain confidence in the YJ, I'll join you on those skinny trails instead of taking the Tundra. I need to install front frame stubs before going off road crazy with it. I didn't do those when I had tore apart this past winter.

utherjorge

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Warren, PA
Member #

Oh, don't worry: I don't know what I'm doing. There are some things I can do, and some things I know, but after I accidentally destroyed the electrical system in a K5 Blazer I was trying to do stuff with, I outsource anything that I don't know, and don't feel bad about it.

I had the head done by someone reliable and they had the head decked by someone that builds engines for Stateline. I had all the right parts, even new head bolts. Where as before I saw some coolant weep or leak around the heads, I see none of that. Doesn't mean it's not possible, but I'm not seeing it right now.

After finally getting some chatter from Daihatsu boards, it seems like this tstat comes with the right gasket....that is always stretched out. A smaller gasket (by a millimeter or so) that just fits around it and then, supposedly, it fits right in. That's today's job: finding one of those at Autozone/Advance/Cargo. One of them is bound to have it. If that doesn't work, Napa is on the other side of town...and I could try J-town if need be, too. Hoping to get this guy back on this afternoon and seeing what we can see.

Jaxman

Rank 0

Traveler I

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Jaxman
Hay there.....I am starting to plan a trip up into Lycoming and Sullivan county......Just one over night Saturday night we would be camping out.....If any one is interested contact me and i would be happy to give you specifics on where I am planning to run. Nice trip for the weekend and should be fun......yes we will be lost but for only a short time.

Reactions: Blue Moser

utherjorge

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Warren, PA
Member #

OK, so here's what we have.

No contamination in the oil. I have videos of the coolant; I thought it was oil bubbling up, but the coolant is completely clear and clean; someone used stop leak or some such in there in the past. Previous owner shenanigans.

However, bogs badly when it runs. When the head was done, I had all exhaust valves changed (two were badly cracked) and the timing belt done. This weekend, I'll pull the spark plugs and try my first ever compression test. No weep from water pump, so I assume the coolant is going out one of the cylinders. None of this is good, of course, but it's what it is.

So, now we have to decide if I throw more money down a hole for a new engine (Daihatsu) or throw yet more money down a different hole getting amusing with a swapped engine. A bad cylinder means she'll be parked for the summer at this point. I don't know how severe the work would be to get it rolling.

Reactions: 7mmremmag

7mmremmag

Rank III

Advocate II

Youngsville, PA, USA
Member #

Time for an LS swap. :smilingimp:

If it makes you feel better I went to do a burnout in my driveway last night in my mustang and broke the clutch (apparently after 2 years of 4500 RPM 2 step launches it had enough).

utherjorge

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Warren, PA
Member #

I'm sorry to hear that: that doesn't make me feel better at all, but at least you didn't have to get towed home. Ask me how fun that is.

I'm hoping to get the compression test done this weekend, but all signs point to being taken off the road long-term until we can start really making a mess and swapping stuff out.

RCooney

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Cooney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3OXS
If you're looking to up your skills, the Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area here in east-central PA has classes and 7500 acres of land to drive on, but you'll need to bring a buddy.

If you head this way (or into the Bald Eagle State Forest) shoot me a message. The State Forest has a ton of gravel roads with hiking trails off of them that are great for gravel riding and mountain biking. They also have a ton of camp sites that are free; you just need to apply for a permit before you go.

jrichbrew

Rank 0

Contributor I

Elizabethtown, PA
First Name
John
Last Name
Richard
Sweet thanks for the heads up about local areas. I'm not worried about pinstripes on the old beast but I am worried about getting in over my head lol.

Will look into the maps and is Gaia a GPS platform?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
There is also Michaux State Forest in South Central PA. Some trails and dirt roads.

jrichbrew

Rank 0

Contributor I

Elizabethtown, PA
First Name
John
Last Name
Richard
Not so much at Michaux as I have only been there once or twice. Bald Eagle State Forest has multiple trails that are great for a beginner or someone travelling alone. I've been there several times and really enjoyed it. If you want I can give you multiple trip plans that are fairly easy to follow, see below. Highlighted trails are "high clearance" Jeep trails.

Attachments

Blue Moser

Rank IV
Launch Member

Explorer I

Milton, Pennsylvania
Member #

I have been traveling up to Bald Eagle State Forest a few times this year. The place is beautiful and some of the trails are fun to traverse. You will not find any serious rock climbing trails if that is your thing. But you will find plenty of forest trails that offer some ruts, some mud, some water, and some small rocks and obstacles you might have to navigate around. This place is for the casual off roader that just wants to take their rig on a joy ride and see some nice scenery while getting a little dirt on the rig.

Their are some trails that are way overgrown and the pinstripping will be a huge issue if you are worried about your paint. All in all this is a fun place with a lot to offer.

So my question is for those around PA do you have some favorite spots that one could find some of the same type trails in state forests or state game lands that this same type of experience could be had? I am looking for similar type trails to go camping and off roading. I love Bald Eagle State Forest because I could go camping up there for a weekend and have trails available to wander around on to see where they come out. I also like that this place is very remote and I dont have to worry about law enforcement asking questions as to what I am doing running around on these trails. Sometimes I like to go at night as it offers a whole other experience.

Anyone have some favorite spots that fit this bill? I am open to go just about anywhere for a weekend to have these types of experience as it is all about getting away from home for a relaxing weekend and just enjoy the time on trails and the nature at all around these areas.
Probably the best of the best is BESF.. every state park has something to offer. But nothing as far as what BESF has.

Overall most people travel to BESF for the same reasons you expressed above.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
@PennStateTaco

Rothrock is connected to it and offers the same. It only has 8 motorized campsites.

Moshannon State forest has motorized campsites and the same type of terrain...although not as much overgrowth.

Elk has alot to see. Of course the pine creek area...pa grand canyon has plenty to offer too.

I am working on making a circle around Central Pa off pavement as much as possible.

MQbackcover2020_1024x1024.jpg

Here is a shot of central PA that has off pavement travel and camping.

PennStateTaco

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA
First Name
Bye
Last Name
Bye
@PennStateTaco

Rothrock is connected to it and offers the same. It only has 8 motorized campsites.

Moshannon State forest has motorized campsites and the same type of terrain...although not as much overgrowth.

Elk has alot to see. Of course the pine creek area...pa grand canyon has plenty to offer too.

I am working on making a circle around Central Pa off pavement as much as possible.

View attachment 172862

Here is a shot of central PA that has off pavement travel and camping.
Delete

Last edited: