Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Edmond, OK, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hukill
Member #

Hey all, first post here. Excited to be a member and learn from you all.

We've been RVing as a family for several years and have had a great time, but now that the youngest are getting older and more self-sufficient, we're taking a step back from the RV world and going for a smaller footprint, so we can expose them to the primitive/tent world and take them places we didn't camp before. We look forward to getting higher up with the bears & the aspens and showing them more about outdoor living. The boys are also pretty involved in modifying the Jeeps.

Picking up our Gladiator is what really got my wheels turning on going back to a less-is-more camping experience. The potential in this truck is perfect for us. In addition to being our overland project, it's my daily driver and our weekend workhouse. We use it for our road trips, lake trips (towing a 21' Sea Ray), weekend projects hauls, wheeling trips, and plain ole fun exploring the world around us.

So far, my mods have been pretty basic, just making it more trail capable and organized/usable than it already was. My fab guy is starting on the next big phase tomorrow, so I'll be posting that progress here. To this point, here are the mods I've done:
  • After a few tire swaps, I've landed on 38" Milestar Patagonias and Method Hole wheels. I don't plan to go any bigger, but we all know how that can change.
  • Got a Tazer JL to make the adjustments for the bigger tires, which of course added some other nice features as well.
    Split the front fenders and added the American Adventure Labs DRLs, added ACE inner fenders, and a 1.5" Teraflex spacer, which really improved the clearance for the 38s.
  • The front bumper was immediately replaced with a steel 10a/75a/hardrock JK stubby, to accommodate my Smittybilt 12K winch. I also added d-ring shackles and KC lights.
    Opted for a JCR bedside molle panel for mounting the hi-lift jack out of the way, and keeping a few other items from sliding around. I may add more such panels, depending on this next buildout phase.
  • Picked up a softtopper to keep the gear dry and out of sight during our trips, but I use the rollup tonneau the rest of the time.
  • A few sun-worshipping upgrades; Bestop Sunrider, CMM doorless mirrors, trail doors.
Since this build is basically combining our previous setup of a '16 JKU AND a 31' motorhome (pic below), a lot of my ideas & plans are pretty extreme, so stay tuned as we work through those and see what can and can't be done. It's going to be a blast!

The current state of #HuckleberryJeep:
JTRCbranded.jpg

Our previous setup:
RV&Jeep small.jpg

Last edited:

Ctblackmon

Rank IV

Advocate III

Merryville La
First Name
Caleb
Last Name
Blackmon
Member #

That’s a good looking Jeep man. What size tires are you running on you Jeep? I’m running 34.5/12.5 currently. Still need to put a bigger lift on mine though it rubs when you flex a little lol. Also got a custom made spare tire carrier I’ve been working on.

Attachments

#campNcrawlR

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Edmond, OK, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hukill
Member #

That’s a good looking Jeep man. What size tires are you running on you Jeep? I’m running 34.5/12.5 currently. Still need to put a bigger lift on mine though it rubs when you flex a little lol. Also got a custom made spare tire carrier I’ve been working on.
That's awesome man! I'm running 38x13.5s. They're good for now, but once I get done with my RTT setup, I'm sure I'll need some lift to deal with the added weight.

Reactions: Ctblackmon

Ctblackmon

Rank IV

Advocate III

Merryville La
First Name
Caleb
Last Name
Blackmon
Member #

That's awesome man! I'm running 38x13.5s. They're good for now, but once I get done with my RTT setup, I'm sure I'll need some lift to deal with the added weight.
I just seen where you said your tire size in the original post lol. And thanks it’s a work in progress like any 4x4 there is always something you want to change. Once my lift is done I’m upgrading the steering. Then I’m going to be building a trail to go behind it to go camping with. I looked a lot of the overland trailers and can’t bring myself to pay what they want. So I’m building one lol. As my grandpa used to say jack of all trades master of none lol.

Reactions: #campNcrawlR

#campNcrawlR

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Edmond, OK, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hukill
Member #

Quite a bit has changed since my last post here.
Call me crazy, but I did a thing over Labor Day weekend.

I'd found a new Hemi-swapped Rubicon sitting on a lot in Myrtle Beach a couple of weeks previously and had been beating them up pretty good. I finally got them to an acceptable number, so I stripped down the black JT and we headed to the beach for a vacay and made the trade. Now I'm starting over, but with Sting Gray and a 5.7 Hemi.

I'd said since day 1 that the only thing that could ever make me sell my JT was a Hemi. I never had any complaints about the 3.6 & 8spd auto, but that 383HP & 425tq is going to be nice for towing the boat and the eventual off-road trailer I plan to build.

I'd already ordered a new lift for the other truck, so we'll be slapping that on the new truck this week and installing all the steel we fabbed up previously. Can't wait to get this baby up off the ground!

Reactions: SilverRebel

#campNcrawlR

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Edmond, OK, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hukill
Member #

Quick update on the progress since bringing home the #HemiconJT.
Got most of the Rock Krawler 3" Pro-X No Limits lift done (still waiting on the coilovers), adjustable Fox shocks out back, the 38" Pats & Method Holes all around, and all the steel on this beast. Loaded up the tent and other gear, and took a few trips. Even brought home a little iron from a show.

This thing is becoming even better than I imagined it would be.

The AAL fender chop kit is still on backorder, but I'm about to install the CB, hardwire the fridge, and tie up a few other loose ends. Then we're up for regear, new axle shafts, and some more fabrication. Also planning out the bed and how I want all the camping gear configured.

Get the visuals on Insta and stay tuned!

Reactions: SilverRebel