Hema maps app

• HTML tutorial

shane4x4

Rank 0

Traveler I

I've been makeing good use of the hema app. So far it's been flawless!

View attachment 20162
I'm glad you like the app =)
While I won't re-hash all the Hema stuff here, and I'm also disappointed that there's only been 1 update since it's release last year, trust me when I say we will get there =)

For the few thousand folks that have been using the Hema Explorer platform, I think it works well. I think the ability to see tracks from others and import their tracks/waypoints into your system is awesome.

I also like that it's only a 1 time $20 purchase. Maybe premium features will come later, but for now not having a subscription is a good thing.

FYI: you can see the portion of the CDR Expedition my family recorded here: http://hema.li/cdr3

We used 3 different layers, all offline when we were on dirt, no issues with the app at all. We ran 2 iPad minis, 1 iPhone, and 1 Android tablet as a backup.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Good read here. I have lots to learn about mapping and programs.
Keep reading and don't be afraid to ask questions. I really encourage people to also go to the source for answers. As in go to the company website for any app you are considering. See what information they have online. If it is lacking then that is a good indication of what kind of app it might be. For Gaia you can read the Q&A thread I started and will continue to support. I don't want to bash Hema and now that Shane4x4 is here he will be a loud voice for Hema as I am for Gaia.

With Gaia now you have the ability to try before you buy. PM me and I can get you an extension to the 7 day trial if that doesn't give you enough time. Anything Hema does Gaia has and more. If you don't need the more or just can't wrap your head around a subscription model and it's benefits then maybe Hema is for you. However $20 with Gaia will at least get you 2 years of use with an app that is constantly updated. Gaia is going to get even more popular in the overlanding world. Why? Because lots of folks have written to them asking for additional features like MVUM map layers and they have listened to the community and added them. They are very serious about customer support.

While MVUM requires a Premium subscription at least the higher end map layers are an option. As are many others. In Hema they aren't. If Hema ever adds similar map types there will very likely be a fee because a lot of the map layers require the app developer to pay a licensing fee.

Hema has marketed its North American product based on what it has done in Australia while not bringing the same level of support and I believe features. That is what has disappointed many of the folks who bought the app. Shane4x4 back to you! Wink.

Sent from my iPhone expect typos, grammatical errors, and any other invalid excuse.

Reactions: DMS1

shane4x4

Rank 0

Traveler I

You haven't said anything untrue 1Louder. I would point out that while Hema doesn't update as frequently as we're used to here in NA, they do update when it makes the most sense. While today you're correct that the Gaia app (especially the new build) does everything Hema does, in the long run I doubt the Gaia team will be sending Map Patrols out to explore the best parts of North America in a vehicle. Hema has already done that and will likely continue for the foreseeable future.

Again, I've seen the road map for Hema Explorer NA, and it's going to be good =)

I'm also available to anyone that has questions directly at shane@hemamaps.com

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
in the long run I doubt the Gaia team will be sending Map Patrols out to explore the best parts of North America in a vehicle. Hema has already done that and will likely continue for the foreseeable future.
From Fargo: Oh I wouldn't be too sure about that Shane!

Again, I've seen the road map for Hema Explorer NA, and it's going to be good =)
It does have a great road map. Pretty colors even in the current version. I just don't need these apps for roads though.

shane4x4

Rank 0

Traveler I

From Fargo: Oh I wouldn't be too sure about that Shane!

It does have a great road map. Pretty colors even in the current version. I just don't need these apps for roads though.
If other companies start publishing epic adventure that would be awesome!

I like the road map for general SA when on a trip, and it's a great learning tool for the kids =) Also, some exclusive stuff is coming. Also also, I'm honing my skills in custom cartography ;)

A_Mars

Rank 0

Traveler I

So a quick look into the google app store at Gaia says that it tends to do some crashing on Android or at least it's incredibly buggy. Anyone have any insight or experience with this? I mean obviously I'm torn between Hema and Gaia thanks to this thread, but Im also now apprehensive about Gaia.