Hema maps app

• HTML tutorial

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Does anyone use the HEMA maps app for android phones? I saw it on Expedition overland and looked it up. Its got pretty mixed reviews on google play, and it costs 19.99. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with this, and how do they like it.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Stick with Gaia and you will be much better off. Hema has not been updated since its original release. That is over 9 months. Major bug with Android version does not allow you to store maps on an SD card. Pretty much the 1 thing that most Android users want to do. Gaia has new updates all the time, are US based, and have a dedicated team to keep the app up-to-date. I keep pushing them to do minor tweaks that will enhance the experience for overland users. One being the incorporation of MVUM maps. They are looking into it and have done some testing.

Mods feel free to merge with the other thread.

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
Hema came to the American market before they were ready because they wanted to roll out at the Spring Overland Expo. Since then like has been mentioned they haven't done much to the app. They run on Gaia so you'd be better off just purchasing Gaia.

Chad

Reactions: Overland 505

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
That's too bad. It would be nice if there were more options for us, and a bit of competition to help lower prices. Oh well, sounds like it'll be Gaia for me.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I don't think Hema sucks. It was updated on Dec 31st and I've been using it for about a year I think. I use it for other applications too, including trip planning, because it syncs with Hema Explorer Cloud (which is awesome) and even for hiking.

I have never used Gaia, but I will admit that it does look the same. The tracking feature is great, it tracks your elevation, speed and kilometres by minute basically. Using it with no connection is also great, just download the map section and be done with it.

Reactions: hallry

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

All I can get it to do is draw a straight line from one point to the next point. It doesn't follow the roads.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
Ah yeah, you need to create multiple points (like google earth), it won't follow a random track in the woods. It will for known roads, though (like that of a highway).

Overland 505

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Member #

Gaia is mapping program. It's been around for years. I guess they gave hema an early version to use for their program. They look exactly alike but Gaia has a lot more features, like self routing even on a forest road.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Does anyone use the HEMA maps app for android phones? I saw it on Expedition overland and looked it up. Its got pretty mixed reviews on google play, and it costs 19.99. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with this, and how do they like it.
Expedition Overland runs on sponsorships, take all their recommendations with a grain of salt. They used to be in it for the adverture but it is now a business first and foremos, their job is to be a giant advertisement for expensive and unnecessary gear. I think it was their prep video for the South America trip that they spent 10 minutes talking about how they just had to use $100 duffel bags

Reactions: Mike W

Overland 505

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Member #

Expedition Overland runs on sponsorships, take all their recommendations with a grain of salt. They used to be in it for the adverture but it is now a business first and foremos, their job is to be a giant advertisement for expensive and unnecessary gear. I think it was their prep video for the South America trip that they spent 10 minutes talking about how they just had to use $100 duffel bags
Still a good show though. I enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk