Help! ZR2 vs. Rubicon

• HTML tutorial

ZR2 vs. Rubicon

• 2019 Chevrolet ZR2 Bison Extended Cab V-6 8-Speed Auto

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 2.0 4-cylinder with Etorque and 8-Speed Auto

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SalmonSlicer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

NJ, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Valotta
One thing I like about the Bison/ZR2 is how firm the ride is. Some would even say it is too stiff. I prefer that on road to the normal floaty/soft ride most off-road vehicles have. Opinions vary on this.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

One thing I like about the Bison/ZR2 is how firm the ride is. Some would even say it is too stiff. I prefer that on road to the normal floaty/soft ride most off-road vehicles have. Opinions vary on this.
Well I hope you'd like the ride you've got the most expensive stock shocks on the market at $550 each. Suspension parts are starting to get more difficult to get with the covid delays and shortages, either mfg out of stock or takes 2 months to arrive from drum roll,,,,,,China.

Reactions: SalmonSlicer

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Well I hope you'd like the ride you've got the most expensive stock shocks on the market at $550 each. Suspension parts are starting to get more difficult to get with the covid delays and shortages, either mfg out of stock or takes 2 months to arrive from drum roll,,,,,,China.
The ZR2/Bison shocks and cast iron LCA are made in Canada by DSSV.

Reactions: SalmonSlicer

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Currently there are only two options for shocks on the ZR2/Bison platform, the OEM DSSV's made in Canada and Kings, made in USA. The Z71 model of the Colorado has several options for shocks but it has different suspension.
Someone like Filthy or Accutune should be able to set up some coilovers from Fox too but that really just checks the preference box and doesn't give you a cheaper option than Kings.

Reactions: DaleRF

twiget

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

On the Road
Member #

Nice rigs. The bison is top notch for sure. is it a v6 or a dirtymax?

Also more pics of both please.
All the badges where removed by the PO (with the exception of the ZR2/Bison sticker on the bed), but it's a V6.

Honestly, I've never been a huge fan of diesel. More expensive motor, more expensive fuel and the additional requirement of DEF makes them a non-starter for me.

There will be more pics to come, I'm sure.

Looks gas, no duramax badging. And wow that took a long time, I cant imagine thinking about a truck for so long.
Ohh, the decision was made long ago, but life gets in the way. You know what they say; "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans."

I had the exact opposite thought when I took this Bison for a test drive. I thought the ride was pillow soft, it was one of the things that I liked about it. Of course, I did go straight from a 200+ mile drive in my Z06 to this Bison. My butt dyno calibration was probably skewed a bit because of that. I do like it's on road handling very much though. Tomorrow will be my first real chance to take it off road and see what the DSSV shocks are all about. Looking forward to that.

SalmonSlicer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

NJ, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Valotta
After putting several hundred miles on mine, I'm liking it even more than when I first drove it off the lot.

Ride is extremely composed for a truck. Around corners it stays very level. Ride is very much on the firm side compared to equivalent type vehicles - TRD/Ranger/Ram etc. Truck feels very well built. Sturdy. Haven't done any major off-roading, just some light trails. Tires have great grip. In/out of 4WD is very smooth. Overall just very happy with this truck.

Interior is average, but other than the Jeep, I feel most mid size truck interiors are just OK. Next gen will no doubt be better.

My only concern is long term durability with the 8 speed automatic and leaky DSSV shocks. But it's under warranty so I'm not worried about it.

IMG-1852.jpg

Reactions: twiget and 2dub

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

All the badges where removed by the PO (with the exception of the ZR2/Bison sticker on the bed), but it's a V6.

Honestly, I've never been a huge fan of diesel. More expensive motor, more expensive fuel and the additional requirement of DEF makes them a non-starter for me.

There will be more pics to come, I'm sure.

Ohh, the decision was made long ago, but life gets in the way. You know what they say; "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans."

I had the exact opposite thought when I took this Bison for a test drive. I thought the ride was pillow soft, it was one of the things that I liked about it. Of course, I did go straight from a 200+ mile drive in my Z06 to this Bison. My butt dyno calibration was probably skewed a bit because of that. I do like it's on road handling very much though. Tomorrow will be my first real chance to take it off road and see what the DSSV shocks are all about. Looking forward to that.
Man! Congratulations! I definitely understand the life getting in the way thing and the having your mind made up for a while. I think I test drove, dreamed of, and created forum accounts for both my wife and my current vehicles for a couple of years before purchasing.
It just makes you appreciate them THAT much more once you bring them home. You made a great purchase though! Anything AEV puts its name on is gold.

Any plans for it?

twiget

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

On the Road
Member #

Man! Congratulations! I definitely understand the life getting in the way thing and the having your mind made up for a while. I think I test drove, dreamed of, and created forum accounts for both my wife and my current vehicles for a couple of years before purchasing.
It just makes you appreciate them THAT much more once you bring them home. You made a great purchase though! Anything AEV puts its name on is gold.

Any plans for it?
The PO spent a lot of money on mods, a lot of which I probably would have done myself. So for the moment I'm going to leave it alone and just enjoy the drive. I've still got my Silverado, which I really like and don't plan on getting rid of anytime soon. So I need to figure out what I'm going to do with 2 trucks. Maybe the Silverado will be my daily driver and the Bison will be my overlander/off-roader? Ahh, first world problems.