Help! ZR2 vs. Rubicon

• HTML tutorial

ZR2 vs. Rubicon

• 2019 Chevrolet ZR2 Bison Extended Cab V-6 8-Speed Auto

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 2.0 4-cylinder with Etorque and 8-Speed Auto

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tony_Farson

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

14422 Lasso Drive, Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Farson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MSQ
Of the options you presented, for Overlanding, I'd go with a Rubicon, but I'd go out of my way for an 80 Series Land Cruiser before entertaining anything on your list (Heavy Toyota bias [emoji6]). For trail riding and recreation only I'd love get a modified RZR from Red Dot Engineering. Looks like a lot of fun!Screenshot_20190204-061807.jpeg

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
If you compare showroom stock vehicles the ZR2 will go anyplace the Ruby does. Add mods then it's down the $$$$. I suppose if you worked at it you could hangup the rear shock mounts on the ZR2, they have shock skids if you want. I think it boils down to what you want to do with the vehicle.

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

My pops has had zero luck driving Chevrolet. Out of 3 different generations of suburbans and a few pickups he is now a true Ford truck guy. Mainly as a work truck flipping homes. I'd say the clear choice is Jeep since there is much more backing for the vehicle and simpler design. I own a Jeep and besides repairing the axle seals within last 30k miles it's been great. Extremely capable too! Jeep > Chevy.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
If you compare showroom stock vehicles the ZR2 will go anyplace the Ruby does. Add mods then it's down the $$$$. I suppose if you worked at it you could hangup the rear shock mounts on the ZR2, they have shock skids if you want. I think it boils down to what you want to do with the vehicle.
I don't agree with you. The Rubi will out wheel the ZR2 on anything technical. Tire size alone will dictate this. 33's can fit on a rubi stock. 33's are pushing it on the zr2. add money (very little btw) 37's can go on the rubi without issue, the zr2 is a no show then. For pure off road capability the Jeep just flat out destroys the zr2/bison. Add on road into the mix, or towing, etc it becomes a much closer race. IF, and its a big if, I get another JK unlimited, (I love the rig), 1500 bucks nets me 37's and capability no small truck can come close to. However, If I want to tow a camper, with extra gear etc, the bison will be my choice. Which its in the close running.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Stock vs stock the ZR2 is every bit as capable as the Rubi. 33's fit the ZR2 with a level kit and 15 minutes of plastic trimming. 35"+ if you do a 4" lift. Both rigs suffer performance wise from taller tires. Both have the same limitations on differential/axle durability when you go with a really tall tire.

The Rubi has a slight advantage on very tight trails and the wheel base advantage. The ZR2, on road, is so much better it's no comparison.

Both have fr and rr lockers that set them above most other off road rigs.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Stock vs stock the ZR2 is every bit as capable as the Rubi. 33's fit the ZR2 with a level kit and 15 minutes of plastic trimming. 35"+ if you do a 4" lift. Both rigs suffer performance wise from taller tires. Both have the same limitations on differential/axle durability when you go with a really tall tire.

The Rubi has a slight advantage on very tight trails and the wheel base advantage. The ZR2, on road, is so much better it's no comparison.

And 37s fit on a rubi with a leveling kit and slight trimming. the jeep is a proven platform that can take 37's without issue. it's not a comparison off road. I am not saying that the ZR2 is bad, I am just saying the rubicon is that much better off road. then you come back around to the point im dealing with. The ZR2 is as better on road to the rubi is as the rubi is better than the zr2 off road. I have to drive a zr2 off road on the roads I use to see if it's a contender or not. As soon as I get access to one, I am going to make up my mind. I do think im going to be pleasantly surprised by those SNAZZY gold things attached to the control arms of the zr2 however.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
37's on a Rubi you better have a wallet that can buy lots of parts, that is if you wheel it. That's why there is such a robust after market for Jeep parts. Same for the ZR2, stock diffs and axles can't handle the added stress. The ZR's V6 with a tune is around 340HP, that breaks parts. The ZR has soft two stage rear springs that can cause wheel hop, get the thing jumping and use to much throttle you'll hear a very loud POP! I read the Jeep forums too.

I think the Jeep really shines on very tight trails. The ZR2 really shines running desert trails at 80 mph.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
So all the guys breaking parts on the jeep forums are hallucinating? Lets agree to disagree.
No they are not. However they are probably bombing at obstacles instead of driving properly. I know many Jeep owners with 37's on stock front ends (which I assume you are talking about) without a problem for tens of thousands of miles

SalmonSlicer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

NJ, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Valotta

Impressive. Do these trucks hold up? Reliability seems all over the place.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I'm voting for the Rubicon.

But V6 with the manual transmission. ( And pray that the crappy minivan engine is as reliable as the other posters here: "ours has 300,000 miles, no issues". Uh huh, sure. But there's 25 million minivans in my junk yards because of that engine.)

Sure the Etorque hybrid stuff is torquey and fun. But torquey fun means you're jumping on the throttle too hard and beating up your truck. Save weight, and reduce failure points, with the base engine. When I was a mechanic, I loved torque enthusiasts. You paid for my college.

I'd test drive the Ranger.

But what I really recommend........................................wait until the hemi Gladiator comes out. Put 37" tires on it and regear. Glads on 37's look awesome. (oh, and pray that the new hemi's don't lunch thier cam shafts still and blow up in 80k miles, just like the V6's.)

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
No. I'd grade GM, Jeep, and Ram as having poor reliability. You need to do your research on their major faults. And keep a close eye on them. If you do your part, they might be OK.

Ford is 50/50. You might get a good one, you might get one possessed by the debil.

Toyota has gone drastically downhill, but is still quite good. Ram and Ford, sometimes, can be just as reliable.

Keep in mind, there's people here that love LandRovers (0.0% reliability) and Sprinter Motorhomes (good reliability, but Californiastan Tax Code level repair bills). So even pure garbage can be an overlanders best friend.

Reactions: SalmonSlicer

SalmonSlicer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

NJ, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Valotta
No. I'd grade GM, Jeep, and Ram as having poor reliability. You need to do your research on their major faults. And keep a close eye on them. If you do your part, they might be OK.

Ford is 50/50. You might get a good one, you might get one possessed by the debil.

Toyota has gone drastically downhill, but is still quite good. Ram and Ford, sometimes, can be just as reliable.

Keep in mind, there's people here that love LandRovers (0.0% reliability) and Sprinter Motorhomes (good reliability, but Californiastan Tax Code level repair bills). So even pure garbage can be an overlanders best friend.
Thanks, good point. The more I read about the current Ranger, the more I like it. Seems more reliable than I had thought. Well tested powertrain.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I sold my 2015 JKU RUBICON and I bought a ZR2 Bison. Based on my needs, the Bison was a better fit. I definitely feel I made the right choice.
Thats exactly what it's all about. Asking which one is better is like asking someone what kind of beer is best. You will get a million different answers. Asking which one is best off road is easier because of the amount of money need to fit bigger tires. Simple. Off road Rubicon / Gladiator rubicon HAND DOWN. 2" leveling kit and you are good to go with 37s . On road, the zr2 would be the better fit. Doing NOT wacky wheeling and mostly on road the zr2 totally, more so with the dirtymax for fuel milage.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Like any manufacturer there are lemons, I read all the truck forums and the Colorado line has no more complaints that any of the others. The common issues with the Colorado are the 8 speed trans shudder and there is a TSB fix that works on 90% of them. Electrical issues, harness chaffing, moisture in connectors causing problems. The diesels have emission issues from the DEF. Leaky DSSV shocks on some ZR2's and most those have been modded with much larger tires and abused off road. I had a bad lifter in my new 17', it was fixed under warranty and it's been perfect since. I've done most every mod you can do and I haven't had any issues.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
agreed. The Colorado platform is really reliable. The only issue I have seen was one Nimrod buckle it becuase he was whooping out at high speeds with a trailer in tow
Like any manufacturer there are lemons, I read all the truck forums and the Colorado line has no more complaints that any of the others. The common issues with the Colorado are the 8 speed trans shudder and there is a TSB fix that works on 90% of them. Electrical issues, harness chaffing, moisture in connectors causing problems. The diesels have emission issues from the DEF. Leaky DSSV shocks on some ZR2's and most those have been modded with much larger tires and abused off road. I had a bad lifter in my new 17', it was fixed under warranty and it's been perfect since. I've done most every mod you can do and I haven't had any issues.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

My criteria - 1) Ability to tow a 3500# fifth wheel camper (Actually, a hybrid bumper pull but a bed mounted hitch none the less). 2) Handle moderate off road trails and USFS/BLM backroads. 3)Comfortable for long distance drives (500+ miles per day). Previous vehicles meeting these condition - 05 & 12 Tacoma DC 4WD. auto w/TRD Off Road pkg (175K on each).

Current vehicle -- 2019 Colorado ZR2, CC, V6 w/Bison pkg. So far (35K), as good or better than the Tacoma's in every way EXCEPT interior storage and bed amenities (rail tie downs & inverter). Much better power and MPG; Love the front locker; Rear locker and low range engage much smoother than those on the Tacos; OEM skids, bumpers and winch (replaced the stock sliders w/ White Knuckle); Disc brakes on all four wheels; DSSV shocks and suspension are simply awesome on washboard.

We heavily considered the Gladiator. Really like it's looks and I'm sure it's more capable off-road plus there is certainly more aftermarket support available but, for my needs, the Chevy was the best choice. Besides, I still have a heavily mod'ed TJ if I want to play in the rocks or ride on the beach with the top down.