Help with solar panel

• HTML tutorial

Renz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

santa Monica
Member #

Hi, I’m planning to paired my Jackery 500 to a solar panel, I’m going to install it on my Prinsu rack, I saw this one on Amazon, what do you think? Can I use it with the Jackery 500?
They have two options for the controllers MPPT and PWM.

Last edited:
N

NorthWest Xploder

Mppt is going to have a better charge rate. Pwm will limit to the battery's voltage which reduces over all flow. Pwm is usually less expensive though. I cant see the photo. What is the panel?

N

NorthWest Xploder

Looks like the jackery 500 uses a specialty connection and charging system. I read both manuals and they dont look compatable. Neither give a lot of info though. Might be worth messaging them directly.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have a Renogy 100W solar kit, which I also got from my Amazon. My Jackery 500 gets power from the solar, but not directly. My solar panel is hooked up to the PWN control panel that it came with, then threw a fuse box, which is connected to a 1000W pure sine inverter, which is where I can plug in my Jackery, fridge, etc. to. I also attached a 12v plug to the fuse box, where I can plug other accessories to.

Reactions: NorthWest Xploder

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

This panel is going to give you a little over a 5.7 amp charge. Seems a lot of folks on the solar threads keep referring everything in watts when they should be looking at the amp output on the spec sheet of the panel . It’s like going into a store a asking to buy a 300 watt battery charger? or asking for a 5-10 AMP charger, not watts. Electronic math dosent seem to work, someone is fudging numbers. I had to go up to a 185w panel to give me a 10 amp output, where the math should say around 120w panel. This info is on the spec plate on the back of all panels. Hope this helps

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
This panel is going to give you a little over a 5.7 amp charge. Seems a lot of folks on the solar threads keep referring everything in watts when they should be looking at the amp output on the spec sheet of the panel . It’s like going into a store a asking to buy a 300 watt battery charger? or asking for a 5-10 AMP charger, not watts. Electronic math dosent seem to work, someone is fudging numbers. I had to go up to a 185w panel to give me a 10 amp output, where the math should say around 120w panel. This info is on the spec plate on the back of all panels. Hope this helps
a panel is a generator, generators are rated in watts because they are the power supply. Watts refers to how many gallons of water the reservoir is holding, 12 volts is the flow rate of the water leaving the spill way, the amps is how much pressure is built up inside the spillway pipe.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Incorrect , Volts is pressure , amps is current. Watts is dissipated heat. So the next time you go into a auto parts store be sure to ask for a 400 Watt alternator. lol Better go back to school. This is electronics 101

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
Flipper's analogy is right. Volts = potential so the analogy would be gallons in the reservoir. Amps = flow rate so gallons pouring through the spillway. Watts = volts X amps or total energy being delivered.

Reactions: OutdoorTxs
N

NorthWest Xploder

I would convert everything to watts to simplify it. So convert amp hrs to watt hrs etc... with all your loads and intake potential in watts its easier to see how your system will perform. Also keep in mind depending on weather and time of year it is very uncommon to achieve 100% of a panels capacity. I would guess about 80 average. Normally you want a 2 to 1 ratio solar vs battery. So 100watts for a 50ah battery. I get away with much less but my loads are small. Amps and volts are still important for wire sizing and picking your controller though. This guy explains it well. He also shows lots of system builds including utilizing electric generators. If you prefer to read about it he also has a blog page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: M Rose