Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

So I know of the popular stops in the UP but am looking to get off the pavement and onto some dirt while traveling the coast of lake Superior. Having trouble finding off road routes that are not designated for ATV/snowmobile only. I have GAIA maps am a very new to it but am trying to find some .gpx files or something that GAIA can upload to help with my overlanding adventure up there! Any help is much appreciated!

Reactions: Army88m

Army88m

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Brighton, MI, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Strom
Member #

So I know of the popular stops in the UP but am looking to get off the pavement and onto some dirt while traveling the coast of lake Superior. Having trouble finding off road routes that are not designated for ATV/snowmobile only. I have GAIA maps am a very new to it but am trying to find some .gpx files or something that GAIA can upload to help with my overlanding adventure up there! Any help is much appreciated!
Here is one of the routes I downloaded from Michigan Overland, looks like fun.

Attachments

Reactions: bumpo83

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

Here is one of the routes I downloaded from Michigan Overland, looks like fun.
This is excellent! I am going to join this FB group today. I also found some downloadable pdf map files late last night with the ability to download .gpx info from Michigan Department of Natural Resources. It’s basically all the state owned land, not any of the National Forest Service stuff, but really good routes none the less.

Army88m

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Brighton, MI, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Strom
Member #

This is excellent! I am going to join this FB group today. I also found some downloadable pdf map files late last night with the ability to download .gpx info from Michigan Department of Natural Resources. It’s basically all the state owned land, not any of the National Forest Service stuff, but really good routes none the less.
Share any you find, I have been having similar problems finding good ones for the UP. We love taking long weekend treks up there.

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
We were exploring about an hour northeast of Escanaba in September and ran into a DNR officer. I asked if there were any roads/trails we should stay off of, or avoid the ATV trails. He said if we can make it, and it's not a private driveway we were good to go. I think they are generally pretty accepting of offroaders up there. I would check the DNR website and see if they specify anything about the ATV trails. You may need a permit, but I'm fairly sure you can drive on them. We are hoping to do an east to west trip at some point, I've heard there is a trail to do the whole stretch off road.