Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and Friends of Cow Mountain are looking for volunteers on Saturday and Sunday, April 27th-28th, to help repair fire damaged recreation facilities and trails in the South Cow Mountain OHV Recreation Area.

Volunteer check-in will be at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday, April 27th-28th, at the Westside Staging Area on South Cow Mountain. The BLM recommends that volunteers wear long-sleeved shirts, pants, sturdy footwear, sunscreen and gloves. Volunteers should also bring a lunch and plenty of water. Camping will be available for volunteers at Red Mountain Campground (tent camping only). If you are camping overnight, the BLM recommends bringing a tent, camping equipment, and enough food for both days. The BLM will provide tools and materials for work projects.

View Rally Point

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

A few years ago myself and a few other NCLR Club members did some painting and maintenance at the staging area. Some of the stories we heard from the Ranger were just appalling. People like to get get drunk, tie a chain around the posts of the shade structures, and pull them down with their trucks. Somehow a large sofa was pulled/winched up into a tree, and ammo casings litter a lot of the surrounding areas.

Wish I could be there to help again, but I'll be working in KY for a Land Rover event. Cow Mountain doesn't get the love like a lot of the other more popular rec areas, so I'm glad to see it's still on people's radar. Thanks in advance to everyone who can attend and help out. Current weather conditions are calling for rain, but also be prepared for heat (almost 90* today)! There's not much cover from the sun out there so do bring plenty of water!

-B

Reactions: Aussie571

JeepWave

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Broomfield, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Hutchins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0EMH
We’re interested, but are available only between 9:00am to 4:00pm that Sunday. Does that timetable work for this cleanup event?

Thanks!
Eric

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Will be there Saturday.

Last edited:

JeepWave

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Broomfield, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Hutchins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0EMH
We’re interested, but are available only between 9:00am to 4:00pm that Sunday. Does that timetable work for this cleanup event?
Answering my own question -- it appears there was a drop-down hidden on the Rally Point page that contains additional information, which I've copied below in case anyone else missed it:
Although the project concludes at 4:30 p.m. each day, volunteers who can help both days, just one day, or only part of the day, are welcome.

The link below is for a volunteer job duty survey. It will help give us an idea of how many people we might anticipate showing up, and what volunteer job(s) they would be interested in participating in.
BLM South Cow Mountain Volunteer Work Weekend Event
We plan to attend on Sunday.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I'm going to try and go up on Sunday, though not sure how I can help. I'm not supposed to do any heavy lifting or doing anything strenuous for a few days. Definitely don't want to reinjure myself. getting older sucks. :/

JeepWave

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Broomfield, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Hutchins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0EMH
We didn't find any other OB folks yesterday, but had a good experience removing some barb wire and installing new fence posts with Zach from BLM at Cow Mountain! Hope to do a clean-up event with more OB folks in the future!