Help me understand all the different farkles mounted to your dash.

• HTML tutorial

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

So, I am not sure if Farkle is a term used here, in the Motorcycle world it means "Functional Sparkle" and can be anything added to your bike to add usefulness.
So, I see a ton of things that people add to the dash of their rigs, what is all of it? I know I see GPS or IPads for nav, CB radios, but what else do you find is needed or wanted for your travels.
Not that I am going to go out and buy everything, but it is nice to know what you have and why, that way I can see if it is something I could use, or not need.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Here's my Farkle. A 7" Pioneer flip out head unit with Apple Car Play, Uniden 980SS CB Radio, iPhone mount mounted to dash bezel and a more recent GMRS radio on the top of dash. Next will be a windshield mount for my Garmin InReach Mini. But will only be put on when needed.

The Apple Car Play handles voices readout of my text messages, bluetooth for phone calls, Apple Maps, Waze Maps, Google Maps, Sygic Maps for offline use, DVD for the kiddos, streaming music for me, etc.

file-62.jpeg

file-61.jpeg

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

At the moment I don’t have all the fancy bells and whistles that some guys have on their dashboards. I recently attached a RAM mount to the A-pillar of my 2nd gen Tacoma. It’s very sturdy and I like that it’s not blocking my A/C vents, radio, view, etc. I just put my iPhone in and turn it long ways for navigation and leave it straight up and down when I’m just using it to hold the phone. Later down the road I might invest in an iPad or some other tablet to navigate with

AA0C79CE-AA48-4BAD-B26C-4E5829624B33.jpeg

Reactions: Rick Schlepphorst

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

At the moment I have a Garmin Montana 810 and my IPhone XR. But was wondering what everyone else uses and why. Coming from motorcycles, I was limited in what I could put on the bike.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

I came from the motorcycle side of things too. KTM990 Adventure mostly 2up. Your really learn how little you need to pack for a trip when you don't have room. I don't get all the stuff people have on their dash and windshield. The windshield in a Jeep is small enough why add more stuff to block your view. That said iPad running Gsis in wife's lap, I have by iPhone on a RAM mount that comes up from the floor. GMRS mic is by the glove box. I want to look at the scenery not gadgets.

Todd

Reactions: l_vandyke

danl

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Little
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2UDL
I'm just beginning my mods to my 2004 Land Rover Discovery 2. The first I did were to add "farkle" (never heard the term before, but it fits!) to the dash/console (other mods waiting on parts). Most of the farkle is not needed, but I like tech. So far, I customized the console to accept more equipment and added a pod on top for even more equipment. In the console, I installed a Pioneer Car Play system and President Lincoln II+ CB, while moving the climate control down to unused space. There's still space in the console so soon I can move things around more then add controllers for a dual battery system and power sockets for other equipment. In the pod, I added 4 extra gauges to augment the factory ones, a Yaesu FT-857 multi band all mode ham radio, and an 8 switch panel in which I will install switches for a winch, lockers front and back, lights, etc. As soon as my RAM Mounts get here, I'll put in an iPad mini to run weather apps, Gaia GPS and Waze (using Car Play only for non-nav stuff so I can see nav when other things are going on), and whatever else won't run on Car Play. The other Ram Mount will be for my iPhone, which I'll need to keep plugged in to run the Car Play and won't want bouncing all around. Up front, I'll mount a dash cam. I have a Uniden SDS100 scanner that I want to stick somewhere, and maybe if there's room left over somewhere else I'll stick in an SDR receiver run off a windows tablet. Last, I'll mount Element fire extinguishers on the pillars. For those worried, I won't be running everything while driving down the highway and promise to keep my eyes on the road. Some of the tech toys will be for whoever is my designated navigator/communicator in the shot gun seat. I have all the parts already except for the dual battery set up. Now I just have to figure out how to keep my wife from finding out what I'm doing. Hope she doesn't notice.4.jpeg

4.jpeg

rockwind1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

las vegas
First Name
kevin
At the moment I have a Garmin Montana 810 and my IPhone XR. But was wondering what everyone else uses and why. Coming from motorcycles, I was limited in what I could put on the bike.
i am also using a garmin handhelf 64st,,,and using basecamp. i do very remote offroading and hiking. there has to be a better way for driving and

Reactions: Wdfnds

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Tablet for nav and for APRS (it operates another ham radio for tracking and messaging).
Small dual band radio on the lower left for local comms.
Large radio on the right for world wide comms.
Phone mounted above rearview..

IMG_20191010_150018.jpg
received_407882649873196.jpeg

Reactions: 64Trvlr

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I have a question for you guys with the big displays. I've never owned a vehicle with them and have always wondered how the hell you guys drive at night with all that bright light coming from them?

I have extra gauges in my dash and a couple of radios but they all have red lights in them so I don't affect my night vision.

Reactions: Desert Runner

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

If you have an iPad you can dim the display to reduce the amount of light. Most GPS and other devises you can do the same thing with, but I see how this could get to be an issue if you have a bunch of bright displays in your face. The iPad will even auto dim if you want it to in the settings.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I prefer to keep the dash clear, I do have a radar detector and dash cam mounted up high on the windshield and wired in the the mirror for power. A ScanGaugeII on the steering colum. A tablet in a cup holder mount for off road nav.

HuddExpo

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado Springs, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0PSF
I prefer to keep the dash clear, I do have a radar detector and dash cam mounted up high on the windshield and wired in the the mirror for power. A ScanGaugeII on the steering colum. A tablet in a cup holder mount for off road nav.
I also prefer a clear dash. I have the face to my ham radio mounted on a Ram ball, but beyond that, I use my Sony XAV-1000 with Gaiagps for off grid navigation and all its other wizardry for on grid stuff.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I also need a clutter free cockpit, but at the same time I need a functional cockpit.

Top center
- Dual battery control
- Dual battery voltage
- Homelink buttons
- Ram mount for mounting a smart phone (if necessary)
- Dual USB charge ports (phone/dash cam/Garmin glo/etc)

Center
- Atoto Android based radio. BCN Pro, APRS Droid, Repeater Book, Torque Pro, FM Radio, Google Maps, Music and a PDF of the FSM
- Kenwood TM 71A ham radio
- Ham radio mic mount
- Dual USB charge ports
- PL-259 antenna plug (hidden by shifter) for a Midland 75-822 CB radio if I am forced to use CB

Far left
- Auxiliary light switch

Far right
- Nite Ize Gear Tie... not sure, my wife left it there.

The windshield is terribly dirty in this pic, (hey, it was post trip) but I must say the PIAA Silicon wiper blades are phenomenal and totally worth the outrageous price they charge.

1575575667913.png

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Interior.jpg
Pretty basic setup, but works well for me so far:

1: Garmin GLO2 Bluetooth GPS receiver (out of frame, mounted with a heavy-duty velcro 3M Command Strip at the top of the windshield, behind the rear view mirror)
2: GoPro HERO 7 Black
3: Amazon Kindle Fire HD8 (6th Gen.). This runs Gaia maps (via the Garmin GLO2) and Torque Pro via an ELM247 bluetooth OBD2 transmitter
4: Baofeng UV-5R Dual-Band handheld radio.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I said what are the Farkles on your dash, not Sporks on your dash. :tonguewink:
Mine is a sporkle!

OK, here's the overhead console I built for my Willys to hold "Farkles".

It's got a panel of 8 switches, 2 fuse panels, an AM/FM radio and speakers, CB mount, a Ham radio (not in these pics) mount, 2 map lights, 2 12V plugs, a volt meter, I'll be moving my vacuum gauge up there too, an electric lock for the fuel pump and the tach. I know it's not as fancy as most of you guys have but it works fine for me. Maybe someday I'll build a nicer one.

The dash, with my Garmin mount

Willys dash -01.JPG

The overhead console

P5270425.JPG

Willys overhead console -06.JPG

Willys overhead console-03.JPG

Last edited: