Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

Water: Consider a dromedary bag? They're less wieldy, but you could get several 10Liter bags and slip them into places a 7-gallon cube can't fit. This also puts your water in several separate containers, which means you're less likely to lose it all if it leaks.
Second on that one.. the other benefit is that you don't have the gurgle of a partially empty (half full, optimist) water tank in the back of the vehicle. I hate that racket.

anotheraznguy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Tracy, Ca
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZN
I have already slimmed down all the gear that i carry. Everything we bring on the trip we use. Except for the tools. However the tools is one thing i am not willing to sacrifice. Although it is a newer vehicle, things still happen out there. The shovel is now outside on the spare tire carrier. I am already using an aftermarket tire carrier. At this point its more about slimming my gear down than trying to lose gear that we carry.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have already slimmed down all the gear that i carry. Everything we bring on the trip we use. Except for the tools. However the tools is one thing i am not willing to sacrifice. Although it is a newer vehicle, things still happen out there. The shovel is now outside on the spare tire carrier. I am already using an aftermarket tire carrier. At this point its more about slimming my gear down than trying to lose gear that we carry.
One thing I forgot to mention was looking into these boxes for under-foot storage in the back. They come in tons of sizes and have come highly recommended by one of my instructors at Overland Expo. I am looking into them to fit on the floor of the rig in the backseat. This might be a better option versus the dry bags I mentioned or just for having more space for gear. One of the biggest way's I have seen slimming down gear is for sure the backpacking grade stuff. A lot of the bulk in the rear of my Jeep came from the sleeping bags and pads. I'm not a fan of a hitch rack given the loss in departure angle and the added weight so far out away from the axle, but it was nice with all the extra gear for an extended trip. If you plan on having a base camp setup, it might be worth fabbing one up and leaving it at the campsite, which is what I do. If on the move from site to site with trail in between, this would not be ideal.