Jacksonville, FL, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Casiano
Member #

Greetings!

So lets start with some background!

Currently at the age of 28, the wife and I have been married for 8 years. Our first 6 years of marriage was while I was in the Marine Corps. Unfortunately, due to lack of funds or me being away, the wife and I have never actually been able to travel nor have a vacation. After I got out of the Marine Corps, wife decided to due something different and joined the Coast Guard. Now that she is finally finishing her current training, we are going to be sent back to her home state of Florida. I was previously stationed in Southern California and we have done a cross country trip but it was all just to get to our destination. Fortunately, our upcoming trip in November/December, we should have nearly a month of travel! We need help!

I currently have a 1999 Montero. I put a lot of maintenance work into it from redoing the front suspension and having some engine maintenance done. The Monty isn't up to par for a full on Overlanding adventure due to gear which is acceptable at this time as we plan on doing lots of hwy miles with some outdoors adventure trails while not going to extreme.

Going from Eureka, CA to Opa Locka, FL;

Sights to see is Death Valley, Moab, Grand Canyon, Cadillac Ranch. We want to go through Colorado as well. What are some suggestions? What states should we cross? What sights and where to go?

Usal beach in CA was one I have been wanting to go but I figured at this time of the year it would have been a bad idea. I am trying to avoid vehicle casualties.

Oh yea, we plan on blogging this.

Kaioken

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jacksonville, FL, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Casiano
Member #

Update:

As of 11/2/2015:

Start from Eureka, CA
1- Death Valley, CA (wanting Racetrack)
2- Grand Canyon, AZ (To Ruby Point thanks to CJONES)
3- Four Corners.
4- San Juan Mountains, CO. (mapped out some trails between Telluride and Ouray. Maybe Durango?)
5- Cadillac Ranch, TX
6- Ozark National Forest, AR (find the Glory Hole!)

Straight to Tampa and then Miami from Ozark. Figured I would leave the other states for some other time as I will be closer to them.

Last edited:

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Message me for some details and an unbelievable south rim camping spot that will blow your mind, if you are interested. Below is a short video of our camp site. Only humans for many miles, and it was a 2 hour off road adventure to get there. Anyway, Let me know if you want details on how to get there and where to get a permit.

Kaioken

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jacksonville, FL, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Casiano
Member #

Aaaaaahhhhh this video. Yes, I'd love that. I'll message you tonight then.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Brutus

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mobile, Alabama
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Bell
Member #

What part of Alabama are you planning to pass through?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Greetings!

So lets start with some background!

Currently at the age of 28, the wife and I have...

Oh yea, we plan on blogging this.
Hey @Kaioken I'm really excited for you! It sounds like you are going to have an awesome trip. I grew up in Eureka, CA so you are starting from my home town! Usal beach, ya, you can skip it. It will be a bit wet that time of year. In Colorado, @CorrieOB and I really enjoyed Durango. Nice size, surrounded by hills, and an operational steam locomotive!

steamtrain.png

We stayed at a historic hotel that was awesome.

Trek through Utah?! We loved SPring Canyon Bottom trail.

Good luck! Can't wait to read more!

M

Brutus

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mobile, Alabama
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Bell
Member #

We have some nice beaches down here in south Alabama (none that you can drive on) as well as the USS Alabama Battleship Park. The central part of the state has a couple of nice state parks with some good trails.

Reactions: Michael

Kaioken

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jacksonville, FL, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Casiano
Member #

We have some nice beaches down here in south Alabama (none that you can drive on) as well as the USS Alabama Battleship Park. The central part of the state has a couple of nice state parks with some good trails.

I am trying to avoid I-10 as I have driven that countless times. I may pass through the central part of Abalama.

Reactions: Brutus

Kaioken

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jacksonville, FL, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Casiano
Member #

thanks guys. any trail suggestions for Death Valley? I would prefer one that when finished, I can continue east towards Grand Canyon

Kaioken

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jacksonville, FL, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Casiano
Member #

Hey @Kaioken I'm really excited for you! It sounds like you are going to have an awesome trip. I grew up in Eureka, CA so you are starting from my home town! Usal beach, ya, you can skip it. It will be a bit wet that time of year. In Colorado, @CorrieOB and I really enjoyed Durango. Nice size, surrounded by hills, and an operational steam locomotive!

View attachment 243

We stayed at a historic hotel that was awesome.

Trek through Utah?! We loved SPring Canyon Bottom trail.

Good luck! Can't wait to read more!

M
Thanks Mike!

I will give that a search and see if its a spot we should hit. I see you are from Eureka, I noticed that last time on the Instagram in which I replied before I even knew about this site.