Help me get the right start with Geocaching!

• HTML tutorial

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I am hoping for some good ideas on starting the hobby of Geocaching. Seems like a fun extra facet or experience while I am out in my travels! Links to articles and more to get started would be great? Vance.

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

As mentioned above, just download the Geocaching app. It will give you the locations of caches closest to you. Find one, log it, and move to your next. Start with an easier one to get the hang of it. Keep an eye open for "muggles" as you don't want curious people to find the cache and ruin it for others. Just make sure you leave the cache in the condition and location you found it so the next person can enjoy it.

I haven't been there in a while, but check out Geocaching.com. It should be a good starting point for you.

Good luck and have fun!

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

As mentioned above, just download the Geocaching app. It will give you the locations of caches closest to you. Find one, log it, and move to your next. Start with an easier one to get the hang of it. Keep an eye open for "muggles" as you don't want curious people to find the cache and ruin it for others. Just make sure you leave the cache in the condition and location you found it so the next person can enjoy it.

I haven't been there in a while, but check out Geocaching.com. It should be a good starting point for you.

Good luck and have fun!
(Do)Ron, Lead K9,
I did take your advice and looked at the site you provided! Signed up also! Will see if I can find a Geocaching site this weekend. My handheld GPS is old and only works when it wants, but my iPhone X should work, right? Vance.

Reactions: Lead K9

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

Hi Vance,

You should do well with your iPhone. It will work well provided you have a signal. I've gone out on several occasions and never used a GPS in favor of my iPhone.

You're going to have a blast!

Take care!

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Hi Vance,

You should do well with your iPhone. It will work well provided you have a signal. I've gone out on several occasions and never used a GPS in favor of my iPhone.

You're going to have a blast!

Take care!
Lead K9,
Thank you, for the kind words! Glad to hear and looking forward to the hunt! Vance.

Qaz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Qaz
Last Name
Mon
Member #

I have been geocaching since 2001. Started with a GPS and moved on to a smartphone years and years later. The kids love looking for them when we are out camping. We have even planned routes of multi state trips around certain geocaches. It makes for a great reason to get out and stretch every now and then. Every 100 miles or so we stop and find a bit of history in a part of the country we have never seen.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I did this for a few years. It was a blast. If you dont know how to use a GPS real well, you'll get real good fast doing this. In the beginning I had issues finding the older ones. The coordinates weren't that accurate. They could be off as much as 50 feet. After a while you learn how to spot them. As GPS became more accurate it got easier.