HELP: Carolina Coast Trip

• HTML tutorial

Pap SJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

Being new to the forum (and also never planning an overland trip), I figured jumping right in would be a good way to get involved.

Catching the adventure bug, I decided to brainstorm different places to overland in the southeast United States. Tossing plans from the Blue Ridge Parkway I came up with the idea to make the trek from the Hilton Head Island/Beaufort area all the way to the NC border. This trip isn't happening until at least 8 months from now, so planning and time is on my side.

So here's the question: for those who live along or have familiarity with the South Carolina coastline, where are some iconic & backwoods places to hit? Francis Marion National Forest is a to-go along with Folly Island, but from there more research needs to be done. Any input is welcome, from good places to hike, kayak, camp, or spend a day exploring and taking it slow for a while.

Thanks again guys,

-Samuel

Eastern Cape Overland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cape Hatteras
Member #

If you could travel further north, Wilmington/ Carolina Beach has some drivable beach with fees. To get off the grid cape lookout national sea shore/ Portsmouth island has 20 miles of open beach camping. 75$ ferry fee to get there. Awesome spot!

Sent from my XT1254 using OB Talk mobile app

JusticeZ33

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I second cape lookout. Only way to get on the cape is by ferry and they can be booked sometimes. You will have the beach to yourself though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using OB Talk mobile app

Pap SJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thank you both for the response, will have to check it out. Looking at the route home from the Cape Lookout area, the trip stretches across North Carolina all the way back to the Anderson area. If anyone has any suggestions about spots to hit on the way home, that would also be appreciated!