Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Highland Park, Saint Paul, MN, USA
First Name
F
Last Name
Lor
Member #

I need to get back out to Appleton. Haven't been there in a few years..
I had a good time. Some of the trails were a little tight though. Frontiers are known for having an atrocious turn radius and I picked up a vehicle-long scrape along my passenger side for my troubles. I'll probably check out Spider Lake one of these upcoming weeks.

Reactions: toxicity_27

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I had a good time. Some of the trails were a little tight though. Frontiers are known for having an atrocious turn radius and I picked up a vehicle-long scrape along my passenger side for my troubles. I'll probably check out Spider Lake one of these upcoming weeks.
I'm not terribly worried about scratches anymore. I've got quite a few, and picked up quite a few when I went to Spider Lake a couple years ago.

Frontier85

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
F
Last Name
Lor
Member #

Do you guys have any trails you like to run or would recommend?

I've been clicking around the Explore Minnesota website and I'd like to try the Gandy Dancer trail at some point. Seems like a relaxed drive through the forest. I'm open to any other suggestions also.

WaywardBound

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Osakis, MN, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Gorder
Member #

My buddy and I hit up the Appleton OHV Park this weekend. It was my first off-road outing and the Frontier handled it like a champ. I was mainly limited by my ground clearance so I'll be looking at a lift soon.

We were both impressed by these Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus tires as well.
I would highly recommend an OME lift kit instead of the normal Bilstein 5100's/coil spacer/add-a-leaf setup...I regret going that route and wish I'd done the Nisstec Mk84's or OME kits instead...live and learn...

Reactions: Frontier85

Frontier85

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
F
Last Name
Lor
Member #

My buddy and I hit up the Appleton OHV Park this weekend. It was my first off-road outing and the Frontier handled it like a champ. I was mainly limited by my ground clearance so I'll be looking at a lift soon.

We were both impressed by these Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus tires as well.
I would highly recommend an OME lift kit instead of the normal Bilstein 5100's/coil spacer/add-a-leaf setup...I regret going that route and wish I'd done the Nisstec Mk84's or OME kits instead...live and learn...

I was literally just looking at the 5100/AAL set from PRG haha.

Where's a good place to get the OME stuff? I'd be looking at just a 2 inch lift.

WaywardBound

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Osakis, MN, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Gorder
Member #

I was literally just looking at the 5100/AAL set from PRG haha.

Where's a good place to get the OME stuff? I'd be looking at just a 2 inch lift.
The Nisstec website has the OME kits, and they're the ones that make the Mk84 kits as well (basically they adapted Bilstein 5100's into coilovers)...the sticker shock seems like a lot, but I've spent around $800 piecing together a Bilstein 5100 and rear Add-A-Leaf kit with a 1" front spacer, new Moog coil springs, new top hats for the spacer, etc and my rear leaf springs are still shot, so I still need to shell out like $400 for new General Spring KC rear heavy duty leaf springs...I should have spent $1300 up front for an OME kit and wound up with a better lift and better ride quality...

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Is this official yet? One week away.
Yes, sorry I was gone this weekend, and spent most of last week busy getting ready for the weekend. It is official. I'm thinking meeting around 12 at Afton. They have a couple of parking lots. Last time we parked near the back and hung out there. Bring a chair, beverages, and stories. We'll all hang out for a few hours and check out rigs.

Sounds like a possible meet up in Afton soon. If so can I check it out?
Absolutely. Afton State Park on Sunday at 12. I'll set up a meetup in the forum today, and link it here.

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

WaywardBound

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Osakis, MN, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Gorder
Member #

Unfortunately I work weekend shift, so I won't be able to go...

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Meet and Greet Update:

Looks like now there is a statewide face mask mandate that goes into effect Saturday. I'm not 100% certain how it affects meeting outdoors, but bring one just in case we do need to wear them outside.