Hello Minnesotans!

• HTML tutorial

Rome Callen

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello Everyone! I have been lurking on OB for a bit now but have finally decided to come out of my shell. I would love to meet some people and chat about where all you have been, so if a meetup happens I would love to participate!

I'm in North Minneapolis proper and love getting out of the city any time I can

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Wow, I've been away from the party for too long. Had a lot of stuff going on in my personal life with a promotion (up in Maple Grove now), wedding, and buying a house. Midwest Overland Society is a group of us overlanders that get together once a month, the second Tuesday at Tuttle's in Hopkins. We talk about upcoming trips, past trips, new gadgets and just BS. I won't be at a meeting until either the Wild game doesn't land on the second Tuesday, or the season is over, but I'll be there in the summer. Any questions let me know, we also have a forum by the same name if you search for it that gives you some more info.

Rome Callen

Rank 0

Traveler I

Wow, I've been away from the party for too long. Had a lot of stuff going on in my personal life with a promotion (up in Maple Grove now), wedding, and buying a house. Midwest Overland Society is a group of us overlanders that get together once a month, the second Tuesday at Tuttle's in Hopkins.
What time do you guys usually meet? I would guess in the PM. It would be nice to meet up with some local people.

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Meeting starts at 7. There's a room off to the side that were able to close the doors on to drown out the sound of bowling.

Sreese210

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Seattle, Washington, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Reese
Member #

Hey all, I'm definitely down to meet up. We have a few things up in the air right now and will be traveling back to SoCal for a bit. I too, have a lot going on in the personal arena. Once I get back around the end of March, I can show up. What are the protocols for the group? On a side note, I've been trying to find trails just to get the kids outside. Any ideas? Probably heading to the Boundary Waters this summer as well.

Reactions: Zach’s Yota

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

As far as protocols I'm not sure of any (what exactly are you referencing?). We like to meet once a month, chat about new things coming out, updates for the group, and any trips we took or are planning. I won't be at the meeting tomorrow unfortunately. I know the location is different for tomorrow's meeting and not in Hopkins but in St. Paul (I'll have to look up where and post it here). I do not know if they plan on doing it there again next month or back to Hopkins, but when I find out I can post it here as well.

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

On another note, MOS will be hosting the fourth annual Northwoods Rendezvous September 14-16th for any that would like to join. Once I have some more details I'll post up a thread about it.

HP Lefler

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Minnesota. Twin Cities Metro
Member #

Hey, All. SW Metro here! Grew up a Minnesotan, then spent a chunk of years away. Just moved back in Sept and definitely interested in meeting up! Sorry I missed the last meeting but will get to the next one! In the meantime, anybody have any cool places that they have been?

Wandering With You

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Hi all!

A friend of mine who just picked up a 4runner last week messaged me today asking if I had a "preferred website for off-road trails" to which I answered with the info below. If there is anything anyone would like to add or detract from what I have written here, I'd appreciate hearing it. (We're assuming MN for the sake of this conversation.)

Okay, you've gotten me started on a favorite subject of mine-

Essentially, there isn't a good single resource for taking a highway licensed motor vehicle "off road". It totally depends whether you are on Federal, State or County land.

To the best of my knowledge, it is completely legal to take a highway licensed motor vehicle (ORV) down any road ever made for public use, whether it is still maintained or not. So, you can simply look at any topographical map and explore any road that is marked "-------" I use apps, "Topo Maps" "Avenza Maps" and "Gaia GPS" to do so and sometimes compare what I find to "Google Earth" images to get a good feel for what's going on in an area I want to explore. Now, it would be great if it were that simple; depending on the age of the map, the old road you want to travel could be blocked by adjacent land owners (NOT legal for them to do so) or it could have been turned over to State Forests or National Forests and designated for recreational use, which at that point, you need to determine if your vehicle (ORV) fits the class it has been turned over for. Good news, the state of MN is recognizing off-road motor vehicle use more and more. Bad news, ORV's have the least amount of trails designated for use (currently). ATV's (two classes quads and side-by-side's) and ORM's (or off-road motorcycles) have many many miles of trails designated for use that DO NOT allow ORV travel on them.

So, a state resource is here: https://www.dnr.state.mn.us
/ohv/map.html

A Federal resource is here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/superior/recreation/ohv

Essentially, when on a state "trail" look for a symbol that resembles a jeep and you're good. When in a national forest, compare that year's Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) to a topo map of where you want to travel and you'll know if you're good or not.

Complicated, eh? Route plotting is part of the adventure though, no?

I joined this forum last year hoping I'd find routes and resources, and while lifetime membership only costs $25 (or something close to that) didn't come up with much in the area. There doesn't seem to be a strong "Overlanding" network in MN, yet. The founders of the site are currently promising to have route mapping and sharing to be one of it's core elements before long, so it may be worth while to join and start up loading maps and records of routes you do happen to find. https://www.overlandbound.com/ (The above mentioned "Gaia GPS" is a great app for recording trips.)

Again, open to any feedback... Thanks!

Zach’s Yota

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rochester, MN
Member #

Hello all! Not sure if I commented in this thread yet. In Rochester Mn. Moved up from the southeast, already been on a few trail runs. Hoping the weather lets up here soon, so more can happen. Just finished the final touches on my rig, including the winch bumper. Let’s meet up!

OverlandIowa

Rank II

Advocate II

Hello all! Not sure if I commented in this thread yet. In Rochester Mn. Moved up from the southeast, already been on a few trail runs. Hoping the weather lets up here soon, so more can happen. Just finished the final touches on my rig, including the winch bumper. Let’s meet up!
I'm about an hour from Roch. Hit me up! I also have a 4th gen 4runner.

Zach’s Yota

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rochester, MN
Member #

I'm about an hour from Roch. Hit me up! I also have a 4th gen 4runner.
Nice dude! Will do. A buddy has some farm land here that we wheel on. And Joe from the forums is planning a weekend trip to the Transverse Wisconsin Adventure Trail May 12-15. Next week the temps should be in the 60s, so some more adventures will need to happen. Was planning a trip to the Iron Range at some point this summer. Can let you know.

Reactions: Wandering With You

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Will there be an April meet up?
There was one. The meetings are typically second Tuesday of the month. It was down to the day before where we were going to meet. I wasn't able to make this month's meeting, but there will be another in May. I believe it will be back to Tuttle's in Hopkins, but will have to confirm.

Zach’s Yota

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rochester, MN
Member #

There was one. The meetings are typically second Tuesday of the month. It was down to the day before where we were going to meet. I wasn't able to make this month's meeting, but there will be another in May. I believe it will be back to Tuttle's in Hopkins, but will have to confirm.
Sounds good, depending on the day. I may be able to make it

toxicity_27

Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Looks like it will be at the Crooked Pint in St. Paul, second Tuesday which is the 8th. I'm hoping to make this meeting as it's been a while since I've gotten to one.

JustJake

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello, I was originally from the south metro and moved away a couple times: once to FL, then to Hibbing, then to Idaho and now back to the west of the cities. Man do I miss the trails that I had access to on the Range and in Idaho. Is there much for those kind of trails down here? My assumption is the closest ones are in WI? Nonetheless, greetings!

Michael Metcalf

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Minnesota
Member #

Hi guys,

I’m new to Overlanding form and Fairly new to Overlanding but not new to Camping ect .

I live in Inver Grove Heights.
My rig is a 2015 Tacoma with only a couple of small mods, I look forward to building this rig as time passes.