OLFLA59

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Florida
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Serrano
Hi everyone! My name is Esteban, but my friends call me "Steve" because it's easier to pronounce. Lol. I am a newbie to overlanding, but did go on a few camping trips as a youngster.
I'll be 60 next month and just getting started! I don't have a vehicle yet, but looking to purchase a used one that I can use as a daily driver and overland. I'll be looking for suggestions from members as to what vehicle will serve for both. My gf and I live in South Florida and although there are no mountains here we do plan to head north to all nearby states and explore.
Thank you!!

Reactions: eagle_A40

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Hello and welcome!

You'll see a lot of beautiful Jeeps and LandCruisers, et al on here and it's great. But, take a moment to seriously consider what type of driving you'll actually be doing and in what types of terrain. If you are realistic with your aspirations, you'll find that it opens you up to a lot more vehicles that are potentially less expensive/more unorthodox (if that's your thing).

I like to recommend the GM GMT360 platform-mates - Chevy Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, Isuzu Ascender, Oldsmobile Bravada, Buick Ranier, and Saab 9-7x.

Pros:

Decent examples can be found for easy money - especially the overlooked Isuzu Ascender
Traditional Body-On-Frame RWD/4WD SUV
They're a decent size - large enough to sleep in if needed.
Relatively reliable and easy to work on
Tons were made and part-sharing is extensive - no trouble finding parts.

Cons:

Not the most efficient vehicle
GM build quality (I owned a '07 Trailblazer for several years. It was fine - not a luxury car by any means, but perfectly acceptable. Your tastes may differ)
No catalogues' worth of aftermarket parts/accessories. There are lifts, etc, but nothing coming close to approaching Jeep/Toyota, etc.

Good luck and happy shopping!