woe_bonnet

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nova Scotia, Canada
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Wooten
Hi all. New member here. My spouse and I have been looking at small basecamp trailers for many months, and I am here for advice and to learn more about the world of overlanding and adventure trailers. We're in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Thanks!

Reactions: Kent R

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Hi - what are you planning to do? Drive to Vancouver Island and back, Tierra del Fuego and back? Enjoy weekend trips in NS?

woe_bonnet

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nova Scotia, Canada
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Wooten
My spouse and I have been ground tent campers for most of our adult lives. She camps solo for long periods, East and West Coasts of Canada and (until recently) in the US, but as a pair we mostly do Provincial and National parks in the Atlantic Provinces, drive-in or walk-in sites for 4-8 days at a time. We like to have our basecamp, then hit trailheads for full day hikes, and return in the evening. We now have a 17 month old who has joined us on a few trips since his birth, too, and we'd like to go further afield together... definitely cross country trips, and trips down South (we're both from the States, originally, with friends and family across the Southwest, especially).

We're essentially looking for a small rig that we can tow with our Subaru Impreza - that could be used for offroad/overlanding with an appropriate vehicle in the future - that takes a lot of the unpacking/organizing/repacking/loading/unloading of Rubbermaid bins in the back of the car, out of the camping equation.

We seem to be in the realm of mini-offroad trailers, though more for their convenience/mobile basecamp-ness, and less their offroad capabilities, at the moment. We found the Taxa Woolly Bear, and are now considering a Manley Extreme. I posted in the appropriate trailer forum to take folks' temperature on the Manley, particularly, as the new owner is in Québec and appears to be liquidating the 2020 Extremes that were left in the warehouse when he took over. I'd like to add a pullout kitchen, solar, etc. The Manley seems like a good customizable platform.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi all. New member here. My spouse and I have been looking at small basecamp trailers for many months, and I am here for advice and to learn more about the world of overlanding and adventure trailers. We're in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Thanks!
Welcome to Overland Bound
The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Roam Wild Overland
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
My spouse and I have been ground tent campers for most of our adult lives. She camps solo for long periods, East and West Coasts of Canada and (until recently) in the US, but as a pair we mostly do Provincial and National parks in the Atlantic Provinces, drive-in or walk-in sites for 4-8 days at a time. We like to have our basecamp, then hit trailheads for full day hikes, and return in the evening. ...

We're essentially looking for a small rig that we can tow with our Subaru Impreza - that could be used for offroad/overlanding with an appropriate vehicle in the future - that takes a lot of the unpacking/organizing/repacking/loading/unloading of Rubbermaid bins in the back of the car, out of the camping equation.

We seem to be in the realm of mini-offroad trailers, though more for their convenience/mobile basecamp-ness, and less their offroad capabilities, at the moment. ...
Have you explored the Rock? Gros Morne is well worth some time.

We can't help much on trailer selection - we're "minimalist" overlanders - we travel in a Montero set up to sleep inside (a bit limited with the three of you), and take the minimum with us. If you want to stick with the SUbaru then a small trailer makes sense. If you're interested in an "SUV" then you could use a RTT and avoid hauling the trailer, although it's true that when your plans are to establsih a base camp and then tour/hike/etc., from that a trailer makes sense.

woe_bonnet

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nova Scotia, Canada
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Wooten
Have you explored the Rock? Gros Morne is well worth some time.
My spouse did a full month in Gros Morne a couple of Summers ago, and absolutely loved it. I kind of hate hearing the stories, to be honest, because I didn't get to go :( We're big fans of visiting NL, it feels like being in a moonscape in places. We're often surprised at the number of people we meet here in NS who travel, but have not been up to NL... it's pretty accessible from here, all things considered, and as you said it is well worth taking some time to explore it.

As far as the trailer, yes, having the RTT and gear on the trailer, and being able to leave it and take the car out for the day, is appealing for us.

Last edited: