Armanius

Rank 0

Contributor I

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Armanius
Last Name
Maximus
Hello everyone! Totally new to overlanding. Caught the bug while doing research for a vehicle to replace our current family crossover Mazda CX9. Have test driven the Wrangler Sahara, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 4Runner TRD Pro, Subaru Forester, VW Atlas, Honda Passport and LR Discovery Sport. Still haven't decided on one yet. Loving the Wrangler, BUT it's not conducive for a family with a rear facing child seat. Urgh!! Plus, the vehicle will also be my daily commuter 95% of the time. So maybe on road manners take precedence. Urghh again!

I haven't camped since my college days. But looking forward to it again. Also looking forward to doing some exploration and adventure. Although it appears that Texas has fairly limited overlanding locations due to the lack of public land. And of course, I can't stand the heat and humidity!

Hopefully I'll learn from everyone about where to go, what to get, and how to off-road safely! Thank you for the help everyone!

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If you want to offroad, texas is limited to ohv parks, pins and big bend and a some dirt roads im sure you may already know unless you own alot of acres of private land . Up in north texas we go to oklahoma and arkansas for all of our immediate offroading needs.

Armanius

Rank 0

Contributor I

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Armanius
Last Name
Maximus
If you want to offroad, texas is limited to ohv parks, pins and big bend and a some dirt roads im sure you may already know unless you own alot of acres of private land . Up in north texas we go to oklahoma and arkansas for all of our immediate offroading needs.
I'm such a noob, what does "ohv" and "pins" mean?

OffroadRn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corpus Christi, TX, USA
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Boatman
Member #

I had the same issue when test driving and researching the daily driver/overlander. We were between a Rubicon and a 4Runner TRD Offroad premium (didn’t think it was worth spending the extra money on pro when I am going to mod out myself). The 4Runner won due to overall dependability and daily driving comforts. Beginning to mod her out now. Hope you find the best fit for the family.

Welcome from Corpus Christi!

Reactions: Gebs

Super Sloth Six

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Magnolia, TX, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Salinas
Member #

Hello everyone! Totally new to overlanding. Caught the bug while doing research for a vehicle to replace our current family crossover Mazda CX9. Have test driven the Wrangler Sahara, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 4Runner TRD Pro, Subaru Forester, VW Atlas, Honda Passport and LR Discovery Sport. Still haven't decided on one yet. Loving the Wrangler, BUT it's not conducive for a family with a rear facing child seat. Urgh!! Plus, the vehicle will also be my daily commuter 95% of the time. So maybe on road manners take precedence. Urghh again!

I haven't camped since my college days. But looking forward to it again. Also looking forward to doing some exploration and adventure. Although it appears that Texas has fairly limited overlanding locations due to the lack of public land. And of course, I can't stand the heat and humidity!

Hopefully I'll learn from everyone about where to go, what to get, and how to off-road safely! Thank you for the help everyone!
Welcome from Magnolia.

Gebs

Rank 0

Contributor I

Welcome from Houston!!