Hello, from Grass Valley, CA

• HTML tutorial

hairy_apple

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

Hey, finally had a chance to sit down and make a post here tonight, to introduce myself and my rig.

My name is Ryan, and I'm from the beautiful foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains. My earliest memories are of camping and off roading with my family. My dad had an FJ40 before I was born, and I grew up hearing stories about the Land Cruiser and how great it was. When was 15 or so, I knew I wanted a 4x4 once I got my licence. Of course naturally I was looking at Jeeps, and really didn't have a clue. One night, we were Christmas shopping at Best Buy of all places, and there, in the audio install bay, was the most beautiful vehicle I had ever seen in my life. A Freeborn red FJ40, slight lift, but mostly stock. It was like every adventure movie I had ever seen, mixed with automotive design perfection. It was amazing. My dad laughed, and said THAT is a Land Cruiser, that's what I had... OK.. well, I knew what I wanted.

Not two weeks later, I heard a deep throaty engine at the neighbor's house, and looked over to see what it was... and it was a bright orange FJ40. What are the chances of that. This guy has over 20 cars in his yard. He's a cool old body guy, and buys and sells and collects random cars like crazy. So I went over almost right away and asked if he was interested in selling the Land Cruiser. No, it is his wife's, she had one as a little girl and they got this one for her. So, I walked back and looked it over, and fell even more in love with it. I had to have it. I worked for him a bunch that summer, helped him reroof the house, and shop, and did a bunch of just odd jobs for him. And always "visited" the cruiser while I was over there. A few months go by and he called me one day and asked if I still wanted the cruiser, and of course I said yes. And the next day it was in my driveway.
elsie1stday2.jpg

So, my first car was my FJ40. I drove it as my daily throughout high school and a few years after. My friends and I spent every bit of spare time out wheeling at local places. Summers we spent weeks camping in Tahoe NF with a 12 pack of soda, a package of hot dogs, and a tarp I would sleep on next to the cruiser. Rarely brought tools, or anything useful. Pretty much camped and wheeled and swam until we were out of fuel or out of food and then came home. It was great.

SCAN00752.jpg

A few years go by, and I finally was able to do a spring over on the cruiser. Spring over axle, disk brakes, power steering. Suddenly it was a totally different vehicle. Well, that didn't last long, the inline 6 gave up on life 2 years later and it got a V8/SM420 swap at that point.

rubicon 023.jpg

Then, about 3 years ago, I did something kind of radical. I repainted it back to to original color. It had been orange since I owned it, but they never had repainted the inside of the vehicle, so I knew that it was originally spring green, which happened to be my favorite cruiser color. It was a bit hard to get rid of the orange, since it always orange for me, but I was very happy once I did it. _DSC3380.JPG

I've owned it 15 years now, and I still love it. It's still my favorite vehicle and always will be. I have 2 FJ40s, 2FJ55s, an 82 Hilux, and an LX450 and "Elsie" is still the one I enjoy the most.
16602806_10209303455888319_3365092166564525009_n.jpg
13226990_10207199354927110_5635324900778297735_n (1).jpg

13245490_10207161120251267_388426151313920111_n.jpg

4runnin

Rank 0

Contributor I

SoCal
Great pics man! That must be really fun to be in an open top rig! I was just in the Mineral Bar area for a week camping along the river. Amazing area! Cant wait to move up that way and start exploring! Be safe!

hairy_apple

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

What's funny, is I haven't taken the top off in two years. :( It's awesome for wheeling, but sucks driving long distances with the top off. The wind just beats the hell out of you. Plus, the cruiser can carry more stuff with the top on, because you can stack it up higher in the back.. and.. we have a dog. I didn't feel safe with her back there most of the time with the top off, so I just leave it on now.

Now.. taking the doors off is awesome for around town still. :)

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

Welcome to the club! I loved reading about your experiences growing up wheeling, its hard to get much more pure than that.
Grass Valley is a beautiful area too!

hairy_apple

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

Grass Valley is amazing. I really love living here. I am 20 minutes from Tahoe NF, 45 minutes from Fordyce, and hour and half from the Rubicon. More dirt roads, mining relics, semi ghost towns, historical stuff then you could explore in a life time. Plus, the Yuba river, the Bear River, and the American river are pretty rad swim in this time of year, not the mention countless mountain lakes.

It's really a outdoorsmen's paradise in the Sierra foothills.

_DSC0065.JPG

goldfish

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
LaFrenais
Member #

We are headed up to Grass Valley/Nevada City area this weekend and curious to know if you have any dispersed campsites you could recommend along any off-road routes?

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Just noticed this thread started in '17... either way "howdy" from just down the way in Lincoln. Awesome FJ40!

-TJ

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey, finally had a chance to sit down and make a post here tonight, to introduce myself and my rig.

My name is Ryan, and I'm from the beautiful foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains. My earliest memories are of camping and off roading with my family. My dad had an FJ40 before I was born, and I grew up hearing stories about the Land Cruiser and how great it was. When was 15 or so, I knew I wanted a 4x4 once I got my licence. Of course naturally I was looking at Jeeps, and really didn't have a clue. One night, we were Christmas shopping at Best Buy of all places, and there, in the audio install bay, was the most beautiful vehicle I had ever seen in my life. A Freeborn red FJ40, slight lift, but mostly stock. It was like every adventure movie I had ever seen, mixed with automotive design perfection. It was amazing. My dad laughed, and said THAT is a Land Cruiser, that's what I had... OK.. well, I knew what I wanted.

Not two weeks later, I heard a deep throaty engine at the neighbor's house, and looked over to see what it was... and it was a bright orange FJ40. What are the chances of that. This guy has over 20 cars in his yard. He's a cool old body guy, and buys and sells and collects random cars like crazy. So I went over almost right away and asked if he was interested in selling the Land Cruiser. No, it is his wife's, she had one as a little girl and they got this one for her. So, I walked back and looked it over, and fell even more in love with it. I had to have it. I worked for him a bunch that summer, helped him reroof the house, and shop, and did a bunch of just odd jobs for him. And always "visited" the cruiser while I was over there. A few months go by and he called me one day and asked if I still wanted the cruiser, and of course I said yes. And the next day it was in my driveway.
View attachment 28770

So, my first car was my FJ40. I drove it as my daily throughout high school and a few years after. My friends and I spent every bit of spare time out wheeling at local places. Summers we spent weeks camping in Tahoe NF with a 12 pack of soda, a package of hot dogs, and a tarp I would sleep on next to the cruiser. Rarely brought tools, or anything useful. Pretty much camped and wheeled and swam until we were out of fuel or out of food and then came home. It was great.

View attachment 28771

A few years go by, and I finally was able to do a spring over on the cruiser. Spring over axle, disk brakes, power steering. Suddenly it was a totally different vehicle. Well, that didn't last long, the inline 6 gave up on life 2 years later and it got a V8/SM420 swap at that point.

View attachment 28773

Then, about 3 years ago, I did something kind of radical. I repainted it back to to original color. It had been orange since I owned it, but they never had repainted the inside of the vehicle, so I knew that it was originally spring green, which happened to be my favorite cruiser color. It was a bit hard to get rid of the orange, since it always orange for me, but I was very happy once I did it. View attachment 28774

I've owned it 15 years now, and I still love it. It's still my favorite vehicle and always will be. I have 2 FJ40s, 2FJ55s, an 82 Hilux, and an LX450 and "Elsie" is still the one I enjoy the most.
View attachment 28775
View attachment 28776

View attachment 28777
Welcome to Overland Bound Ryan.
Don't hesitate to message your Regional Director @Narbob if you have any questions. For local information about trips and meet-ups contact your NorCal Member Representative; Sac/Foothills @Magic Mike
FYI, All Overland Expo shows have been cancelled this year. Due to Covid 19 concerns.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Here is a local meet-up you might be interested in;
Gold Country Monthly Meet-up. Auburn CA
https://www.overlandbound.com/event/gold-country-monthly-meetup/
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps

View attachment 28770

View attachment 28771

View attachment 28773

Then, about 3 years ago, I did something kind of radical. I repainted it back to to original color. It had been orange since I owned it, but they never had repainted the inside of the vehicle, so I knew that it was originally spring green, which happened to be my favorite cruiser color. It was a bit hard to get rid of the orange, since it always orange for me, but I was very happy once I did it. View attachment 28774

View attachment 28775
View attachment 28776

View attachment 28777
Welcome to Overland Bound Ryan, I am your U.S. West member representatives and if you have any question or concerns feel free to contact me @Magic Mike. You can also contact our Regional Director @Narbob if the need arises.

Make sure and browse through the New member threads for some great information that will help you navigate the Overland Bound website. Also keep an eye on Rally Points and the member calendar, which will keep you up to date on upcoming local meetups, training opportunities and trail runs. There are three local meetups with driving distance of your location. The gold Country Overland meetup in Auburn, Sierra Foothills Overlanders in Cameron Park and Elk Grove meetup on West Stockton Blvd.

I look forward to meet you out on the trail or at a meetup, in the future.

Mike