Hauling wood

• HTML tutorial

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

How does everyone haul their wood in? I know, buy it where you burn it, but you still have to put it somewhere between the hardware store and your camp, right?

Right now I just toss it back, but that takes up a ton of storage room and I'd prefer to keep the wood off board. I was thinking of getting a hitch mounted cargo box, but I'm not sure if they are big enough. Plus the weight bouncing up and down on the hitch isn't great, and it sticks out a bit, so kills the departure angle.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

NoahGenda

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

On the road
Member #

I put a basket on the roof rack pretty much for this purpose. Before I had a bin I made and kept filled with firewood at all times, I hated how much room it took up in the bed.

Reactions: DanR

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

I ended up going with the hitch basket idea. Had to get a hitch first though!

Thanks for the ideas everyone
Any luck with the hitch search? I'm in the market as well. If I can get the kids to go, might check out Rack n Road in Campbell tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I only haul wood if I'm camping relatively local at a state park, otherwise some of the places I camp allow you to gather wood. It's a little tricky with the Jeep..

Loaded Wood.jpg

Most importantly, I bring along a propane firepit so I am not dependant on wood, and it is usually allowed during fire bans. Also, I can run it under my canopy or awning, and there is no smoke and it holds the heat in some. That works really great when it's raining.

I have had a full size Camp Chef model for a few years and love it, but now that I have a Jeep (from a Suburban) space is at a premium, so I bought a smaller version and an 11lb tank. The tank fits in my Trasharoo and the firepit fits in the floorboard behind the passenger front seat.

The actual burner and core are the same exact size, the smaller one just doesn't have the top and bottom rings..

Fire Pit 1.jpg

Fire Pit 2.jpg

Propane Bottle.jpg

Reactions: Outdoordog

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I was debating on those. I'm in California and fire bans are a constant thing out here, it would be nice to have some fire at night. I might look into the smaller one.

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I have 4 Runners, so I use a hitch carrier basket if I am base camping and bring wood I purchase locally by the cord. Otherwise I buy local or gather wood if it is legal.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I was debating on those. I'm in California and fire bans are a constant thing out here, it would be nice to have some fire at night. I might look into the smaller one.
I bought the small one on Amazon a couple weeks ago for $42! If you're not in a hurry, watch the prices as they will fluctuate. They actually work well, and put off decent heat. If you are using them for heat, you are really only going to get 4, maybe 5 people around it. But like I said, under a canopy they work awesome, and the heat goes up and get's trapped by the top, and swirls around, warming the area much better.

I also love it because if both my wife and I get up to do other things, we just turn it off until we are ready to enjoy the fire again!

There are other brands that a lot of people like, but I have been happy with Camp Chef, especially for the value vs quality.

Here is the big one:
And the small one: