Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Somerville, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Witkus
Member #

I dont know why any of us must keep saying this over and over again. It's the "Motto" of OB, run what you brung !

I certainly dont feel being pushed into buying any item or product, by any of the OB members I have communicated with.
As a whole, most all have not even mentioned to me that I need this or I need that, unless I ask. I'm always asking others
what they use, if they like it, and why. In the end it will always be my choice of whether I buy or not. It's only natural to want,
but more practical to buy what you need. It boils down to if you want it and you can afford it, that's your business.

A good example of what I am saying is this. I see all these equipped rigs with lights hung all over them and have asked myself
why. Then when I was driving over the black range a few months ago and had to make a stop to let my dogs out. It was pitch
black in the forest and I had to leave my headlights on. I got out of the rig and couldn't see where I was going or where the
dogs went except for what was in front of my rig in the headlight. I didn't have a flash light with me and one dog was out of
sight and wouldn't come back. I was so frustrated not being able to see anything. The dog finally came back but I decided
then that I needed some of the roof rack perimeter lighting so that I could see where to walk around my rig in the dark of the night.

What had seemed to me as un-needed soon began to be important that I have it. So guess what guys I just ordered the rack light
I want on my rig for the big price of $53. Thank you who ever ti was that had them on his rig when posting a picture of his rig on
the forums and for giving me the info on them when I asked..

My 50" was an Ebay auction win at like 3 in the AM 50" bar for $50...my other lights going on are the Niilight ones, they have good reviews, they may not be as bright as the name brands but it's not by much...I'm cheap, if I can't make it, buy it cheap or steal it (j/K) I ain't gettin it

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

I understand where you are coming from.When I was 17 years old, I got involved with the homebuilt aircraft scene in the early 70's when fun and basic tube and fabric airplanes were being built by the average Joe in his garage. Then came the Rutans with their foam and fiberglass construction and before you knew it, people were building carbon fiber go-fast machines that most can't afford or build. Oshkosh became the quintessential "the one who dies with the most expensive airplane wins."

But, there were, and are, many who are still building the tube and fabric airplanes. Nevertheless, it was a huge turn-off for me and I finally walked away from the EAA in the 2000's. That being said, there will certainly be the same in overlanding, but it shouldn't hold you back from getting out there. The worse thing you can do is compare yourself to others. There will always be someone with a better rig than yours, regardless of how nice of a rig you have. Focus on your experience in overlanding, because that's what counts.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
My 50" was an Ebay auction win at like 3 in the AM 50" bar for $50...my other lights going on are the Niilight ones, they have good reviews, they may not be as bright as the name brands but it's not by much...I'm cheap, if I can't make it, buy it cheap or steal it (j/K) I ain't gettin it
I'm not giving you my address LOL
Did you look at the manufactures video for Nilite ? The video is a real torture test of their lights, it sold me. Mine lights are not for driving but for the camp site lights when needed. @ on each side of the rack slanted downward.

Reactions: MeHere!

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

The funny thing about this thread for me is that I have actually tried to be one of those people on YouTube or Instagram but it just never took off for me. When we left for Panama 4 years ago the only YouTube channel portraying what we now think of as overlanding with well edited videos was Kombi Life. We thought, "We can learn to edit and do a similar thing, but with a 4x4 and less young, hippy shenanigans." It's a lot harder than it looks and people like to watch sexy vehicles and sexy people. We don't have either. haha
I'm still slowly editing the video from our trip and putting it up on YouTube, but I've lost the hope that it will ever be a source of income that we could travel on.

Over the years I've crossed paths with many "YouTube celebrities" from the Overland niche and we've appeared on quite a few of their channels including Overland Bound and I Am Jake that were mentioned earlier. Most of them were nice even though we drive a POS. Some of them are faker than others, but all content creators are encouraged to be fake if they want to be successful. Success in that game is measured by views, likes, subscribers, followers, etc. and you get more of that by posing your cool vehicle with an attractive female in good lighting. It may not be the most practical place to set up the solar shower, but it gets the clicks ;)

I've followed and commented on your content for a long time, and prefer your style to most all others, to be honest, including those you mention. Certainly far more down to earth, honest, and real. Loved your clean up efforts, too, and that you sail as well as travel with your truck, and that you have such a cool new companion, too, in Taz @traveling.kelpie. I had a Maine Coon Cat named Taz, for the same Tasmanian Devil reasons.

I gave up thinking I could do a full-time channel with my long cross-country adventures, too, even though I have a nice drone, a couple go-pros, and a ton of photography and editing background. I always end up far too engaged with what I've got going on any day to do anything more than insta posts. That, and my van, like your truck, is not the sexy beast folks want to see. I do have a great adventure rig set-up though, that I'm proud of having put together from various elements.

When it becomes too much like work and I'm not enjoying my surroundings because I'm worried about, or consumed with, producing content, then it fails to excite me. I'm out here for me. If others like what I have to say in my insta essays and images, and posts on adventure forums like this one and a few others, cool, but I'm not going to go the route of "gotta produce content, dude, to engage and grow your followers!"

Nope, not me.

You guys keep doing you, and the followers you have will be more down to earth, honest, and real like you two are.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I understand where you are coming from.When I was 17 years old, I got involved with the homebuilt aircraft scene in the early 70's when fun and basic tube and fabric airplanes were being built by the average Joe in his garage. Then came the Rutans with their foam and fiberglass construction and before you knew it, people were building carbon fiber go-fast machines that most can't afford or build. Oshkosh became the quintessential "the one who dies with the most expensive airplane wins."

But, there were, and are, many who are still building the tube and fabric airplanes. Nevertheless, it was a huge turn-off for me and I finally walked away from the EAA in the 2000's. That being said, there will certainly be the same in overlanding, but it shouldn't hold you back from getting out there. The worse thing you can do is compare yourself to others. There will always be someone with a better rig than yours, regardless of how nice of a rig you have. Focus on your experience in overlanding, because that's what counts.
The rigs that impress me are the ones that are umpteen years old with battle scars and evidence of being out there maybe even in places they shouldn't have been, and everything they have has been added over the years as they needed it. I really enjoy looking over rigs like those who have hand built most everything they have. I guess i'm just a beater guy at heart.

Reactions: Anak and terryg

WrongTurn

Rank II

Enthusiast III

DRC
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Allen
The rigs that impress me are the ones that are umpteen years old with battle scars and evidence of being out there maybe even in places they shouldn't have been, and everything they have has been added over the years as they needed it. I really enjoy looking over rigs like those who have hand built most everything they have. I guess i'm just a beater guy at heart.
You would be surprised where you are willing to drive your rig when the body doesnt matter haha. my driverside is dented well. avoids theft issues

WrongTurn

Rank II

Enthusiast III

DRC
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Allen

I've followed and commented on your content for a long time, and prefer your style to most all others, to be honest, including those you mention. Certainly far more down to earth, honest, and real. Loved your clean up efforts, too, and that you sail as well as travel with your truck, and that you have such a cool new companion, too, in Taz @traveling.kelpie. I had a Maine Coon Cat named Taz, for the same Tasmanian Devil reasons.

I gave up thinking I could do a full-time channel with my long cross-country adventures, too, even though I have a nice drone, a couple go-pros, and a ton of photography and editing background. I always end up far too engaged with what I've got going on any day to do anything more than insta posts. That, and my van, like your truck, is not the sexy beast folks want to see. I do have a great adventure rig set-up though, that I'm proud of having put together from various elements.

When it becomes too much like work and I'm not enjoying my surroundings because I'm worried about, or consumed with, producing content, then it fails to excite me. I'm out here for me. If others like what I have to say in my insta essays and images, and posts on adventure forums like this one and a few others, cool, but I'm not going to go the route of "gotta produce content, dude, to engage and grow your followers!"

Nope, not me.

You guys keep doing you, and the followers you have will be more down to earth, honest, and real like you two are.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

I'll agree with your comment on long trips, I filmed a bit here and there, lots of gopro from the windshield and a few drone launches but honestly I'd rather just enjoy it. I piece together waht I can when i am back home and like now, not busy. but making content is a strict business it seems, you do big hours to get the filming in and I prefer to park up by 4 with a beer in had.

Roam Wild Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor I

Halifax, NS
Member #

The reality is the hobby can draw "elitists", but it's for everyone. I have seen people drop crazy amounts of money on rigs and then have no idea (none) what they are doing after the leave they pavement and never really use the gear they have. I once helped someone stuck in a hole in their brand new 4x4 with 12k warn winch mounted - but not hooked up... I also know people who have really nice rigs that are 100% purpose built and very well used, their set ups are expensive, but they invested in their interests and use the gear to do what they love. I don't consider that elitiest.

I always say my limits are me, in everything. Yes, you will see people that have better setups, better gear etc. Truth is if you have a capable vehicle and a tarp you can get out and enjoy whats out there. You always have to be aware of your capability and ensure what you are doing is safe - but get out there. It doesn't matter if you drive a 20 year old truck with tarp to string up, a car that you use to get to campgrounds in National Parks, or a brand new loaded 4x4 built to survive the apocalypse. In the end, just get out there and enjoy it with what you've got. That's what it's all about.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
You would be surprised where you are willing to drive your rig when the body doesnt matter haha. my driverside is dented well. avoids theft issues
I'm a pretty good body man with a toilet plunger and good big hammers or porta power tool. My body is aluminum but I can buy a whole body for $500 these days thanks to California smog rules making my Land Rover Discovery too expensive to repair in Cali. I dont live there but I can haul it back on a trailer.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

YouTube, Instagram, buried in yer computer.....

Not me. When I travel I rarely touch anything IT. I'll take pictures, highlite my route on a paper map, pick up a few rack cards and brochures and not edit anything till I get home.

14 days on a tour in India, everyone else was editing and sending out pics at lunch, in the bus, after dinner...... I don't know how they enjoyed the trip. On the bus I took over 2000 pictures, filled 6 cards, never looked at any of them till I got home. Best part of any trip for me is having a coffee... or beer and watching the people.

Best part of not looking at anything till I get home is reflecting and reliving those experiences.

I think travelling with too much gear detracts from the experience. On that note there are many elites who travel light. Anyone can be a gear hog, cash or VISA lets you do it. And anyone can be a minimalist to. On any forum there are guys with unlimited budgets and guys living day to day. No reason to be unhappy with where you are.

Last edited:

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

959049A0-0801-4EAB-BFE9-C2904E0E532B.jpeg
this is how we started in 2018. We are a family of three, my ten year old Duaghter my wife and I. Before getting the pick up I was a solo driver on a 250 tornado humming in the backwoods of DR with a single person tent. We had two options 1.an RV or a pick up truck build.F756B941-DC54-4320-B04E-1CEFC8E7E57B.jpeg
our first big trip was going out west to New Mexico. We packed up the cooler and packed two dewalt cases and left NYC. On our way toTennessee we stop in at CVT to install our first mod. DC31F548-FED5-42DA-A9DA-270347E25423.jpeg
Problem solving and 3 years of research we have become more independent in our travels. Best of luck on your build..this is our RV alternative.

JackA

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Orondo, WA, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

It is the way of humans to build more complicated, elaborate and expensive devices and machines to assist in our "enjoyment" of a hobby. Seems that there are several lines of enjoyment available to those who overland. Some may take real interest and gain gratification from building a vehicle that meets their expectation. Others might find it very satisfying to have the most accurate navigation system, or most capable comms setup. Many get a sense of fulfillment and contentment from being in the natural surrounds of the great outdoors. Not one of these is a "wrong" or "right" attitude or pursuit; in fact, I think most of us have overlaps of all these aspects. For me, I really crave the oneness I feel when far from the man made structures of our civilization. Is it elitist to spend big on a 4X4 build? Not in my book if that is what gives you satisfaction. Fortunately it does not take a very capable 4X4 to get me out into the wilderness so I don't need to build a vehicle like that. I can still admire it, enjoy hearing the owner talk about it and even learn how some trick gadget might be something I want! Figure out what you enjoy and pursue that, you will not go wrong.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
This thread is pretty funny. One facet that is overlooked is that some people who view others as "elitist" are really just expressing their own feelings of inadequacy. There is a hack for that. You certainly are not going to compete with the guy who has $200K in a rig with all the cool gadgets, BUT you can find that ONE piece of gear you can go nuts on. Take a Spork for example. Say I'm walking past a cat who has a super built rig and he's decked to the gills...just his rack lights cost more than I make in a month. Then I notice it. He has a Snow Peak titanium Spork that retails for $9.99 at REI. Ah ha! I go online and find the Liberty Mountain multitool Spork from LL Bean for $49.99 Got his ass! Now when I walk past him, I can just quietly chuckle to myself knowing that his Spork is a piece of crap compared to mine. I suddenly notice a spring in my step I never had before...the air smells crisper and sky is now an amazing shade of blue and I realize that this overlanding thing really isn't so bad...and it only cost me $49.99! :grinning:

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
This thread is pretty funny. One facet that is overlooked is that some people who view others as "elitist" are really just expressing their own feelings of inadequacy. There is a hack for that. You certainly are not going to compete with the guy who has $200K in a rig with all the cool gadgets, BUT you can find that ONE piece of gear you can go nuts on. Take a Spork for example. Say I'm walking past a cat who has a super built rig and he's decked to the gills...just his rack lights cost more than I make in a month. Then I notice it. He has a Snow Peak titanium Spork that retails for $9.99 at REI. Ah ha! I go online and find the Liberty Mountain multitool Spork from LL Bean for $49.99 Got his ass! Now when I walk past him, I can just quietly chuckle to myself knowing that his Spork is a piece of crap compared to mine. I suddenly notice a spring in my step I never had before...the air smells crisper and sky is now an amazing shade of blue and I realize that this overlanding thing really isn't so bad...and it only cost me $49.99! :grinning:
This is why you must also buy an embroidered hat and a decal for that Liberty Mountain multitool spork just so all the world can know about your superior taste in sporks.

Overland True North

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON
That is so funny that you picked a Spork!!! I told my wife, when she was kitting out our eating stuff, that I eat with a fork and spoon. If a spork lands on my plate it will disappear afterward. Never to be found again.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I feel like you can make the same case for any hobby/industry, especially in today's world of social media. You will always have the people that want it just for the attention. At the same time, if they want to take the time and somehow make money off of making videos and post, good on them because there still quite a bit of work that goes into that, especially on the editing part (I don't have anywhere near the patience for that). Can't fault people for making money on doing something they like.
Well its a good thing YouTube wasn't what it is now in the 90's and 2k's with the massive emergence of Harley and all things lemming. Can you imagine the editing of those videos? "Alright, here is our recent 150 foot "ride" to the next tavern. Me and all of the other 43 of us wearing our favorite harley dealer t-shirt, harley boots, harley belt buckle, harley chaps, harley socks, harley tube top, harley sunglasses, harley bandana, harley gloves, harley no helmet cool factor look...."

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Well its a good thing YouTube wasn't what it is now in the 90's and 2k's with the massive emergence of Harley and all things lemming. Can you imagine the editing of those videos? "Alright, here is our recent 150 foot "ride" to the next tavern. Me and all of the other 43 of us wearing our favorite harley dealer t-shirt, harley boots, harley belt buckle, harley chaps, harley socks, harley tube top, harley sunglasses, harley bandana, harley gloves, harley no helmet cool factor look...."
Its crazy how things change. Now I wonder in the future, if overlanding will go the way of Harley and decline in popularity and is just a fad.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Its crazy how things change. Now I wonder in the future, if overlanding will go the way of Harley and decline in popularity and is just a fad.
What goes around comes around. Nothing ever dies except people.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I don't think of much of this stuff is elitist, but more fashion. My truck is built for how I use it. If I don't need to upgrade something I leave it alone. My rear bumper is stock, it doesn't need for it to match the front. My lights are top of the line Baja Designs, not for the name but what they do. The overhead rack was built to carry kayaks, surfboards, and fuels. If It doesn't have a real use I don't add it.
I go to a meetup and see these rigs that are well built, but when I look at the shocks they are pristine. If the hood is up the motor is spotless. My rig goes through a full pressure wash focusing on the undercarriage after every trip. I can't get it looking as nice as theirs. I wonder why? My cook box is 20 years old and doesn't have a drawer. It all works for me. God bless those Overland Fashionistas, but I chose function over fashion.